ADVERTISEMENT

Zags as hoops poetry

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Watching the Gonzaga men this season has been more than a pure pleasure. It's been a validation of a hope that the game can free itself from a disturbing emphasis on ball-stopping, stultifying, one-on-one grinding boredom. The Zags' offense is hoops poetry in motion. They flow, they move without the ball, they are selfless, they pass to one another and blend into one, splendid five-man ballet. This is what basketball can be but, sadly, rarely is today. For whatever reason, the sport has devolved into an unwatchable series of isolation possessions which put a premium on gross physical strength. The Zags, at least for now, have changed that trend for the better. They are physical but fully invested in a team concept over the full 90 feet. Thank you, Mark Few. Let's hope coaches and players are paying attention.

Absolutely perfectly written! Zags are a thing of beauty in a game that has sometimes gotten hard to watch.
I’m also impressed with what mick Cronin has done with UCLA. That is the toughest Bruin team I can recall. (Post wooden era)

Absolutely perfectly written! Zags are a thing of beauty in a game that has sometimes gotten hard to watch.
I’m also impressed with what mick Cronin has done with UCLA. That is the toughest Bruin team I can recall. (Post wooden era)

UCLA's game plan was really well put together against Michigan and then executed. Juzang is on some kind of roll right now

UCLA is going to be very very strong for the foreseeable future. Cronin inherited a complete dumpster fire of program from Alford and in year 2 with pretty mediocre talent they are in the final 4. They have a few dudes coming in next year and return everyone.

Reactions: remc and Streak One
...and, of course, it does help that the Zags have terrific talent that has bought in to Few's style of offense...thank goodness for an example for us all...oh, and they also play defense...

Agree UCLA will be a tough out. Completely different mindset now with mick. Nice to see on the WC.

Zags may not get that challeged. I’m not sure anybody can stay within Single digits. I hope im wrong because I want to see good games but reality of how good they are is settling in. One of the great college teams I can recall.

gonzaga will be the new bandwagon team. although plenty of teams play that way. they just happen to be far superior than their competition in the wcc so it looks better every night. if they played in a better conference with better athletes and coaching nightly, it would not be so easy.

Plenty of teams do not play that way. They get bogged down in isolations far too often. They don't pass well. They don't move without the ball. They stand around too much. They are far too static. Their big men are poor passers. The weak side of the floor is an afterthought. Their options are too limited. As for the Bulldogs' league schedule, there is no doubt it is often less than daunting. The WCC has too many mediocre or bad programs. But that makes the Zags' non-league/tourney record even more impressive if you believe that a lack of close WCC games hinders their effectiveness or compromises their won-loss ledger overall. Some of us have followed Gonzaga for decades, especially once the late Dan Fitzgerald (St. Ignatius HS/Santa Clara U.) took over in Spokane. He's the guy most responsible for elevating the program into a national powerhouse (hiring coaches, improving facilities, etc.) if you examine its long history.

Reactions: larry legend33
Plenty of teams do not play that way. They get bogged down in isolations far too often. They don't pass well. They don't move without the ball. They stand around too much. They are far too static. Their big men are poor passers. The weak side of the floor is an afterthought. Their options are too limited. As for the Bulldogs' league schedule, there is no doubt it is often less than daunting. The WCC has too many mediocre or bad programs. But that makes the Zags' non-league/tourney record even more impressive if you believe that a lack of close WCC games hinders their effectiveness or compromises their won-loss ledger overall. Some of us have followed Gonzaga for decades, especially once the late Dan Fitzgerald (St. Ignatius HS/Santa Clara U.) took over in Spokane. He's the guy most responsible for elevating the program into a national powerhouse (hiring coaches, improving facilities, etc.) if you examine its long history.
kentucky, florida, alabama, villanova, duke, san diego st to name a few. i imagine the issue is talent. you gotta have the guys to run free flowing ball moving offenses.

I really don’t think it would matter who they played this year. The difference is daunting. Look back at dominance and this team is right up there with the greats They hang 50 in a half like it’s nothing. They haven’t had guys like Suggs before either. You start adding that type of talent into the mix and going to be a lot of 30+ win seasons. Personally I’m not a guy who is running out buying a zags shirt. I just can appreciate a thing of beauty when I see it.

At some point from a pure revenue
Standpoint you would think they would want to move into the mountain west or pac 12 conference.

UCLA is going to be very very strong for the foreseeable future. Cronin inherited a complete dumpster fire of program from Alford and in year 2 with pretty mediocre talent they are in the final 4. They have a few dudes coming in next year and return everyone.
Would love to see UCLA back on top of college basketball. As they should be

Reactions: jordan24
Zags out here hoping Santa Clara or Pepperdine show up as the opponent after halftime.

but the refs doing their best job to keep duke i mean gonzaga in the game.

Reactions: TransitionD
I think Zags are actually in a good spot now once they settled down to only be down 10 at half isn’t that big of a deal tbh

Ur right they got some generous calls for sure

Baylor very impressive thus far. Zags look a step slow. That may change but doubtful. Saturday was draining. Baylor coasted. And the Bears are outstanding anyway.

They definitely have no shot if they keep giving them open 3 looks

the difference. baylor 4's and 5's are 6'9 and up weighin 250 plus. their guards have real real quickness. the wcc cant match that.

No one was matching that this year......plus that 3 point shooting with that defense

I would love to have Mitchell on my team in nba. His stock soared. Butler will also go in round 1. Overall I would say there were 5-6 guys that will play in the league from both teams. Suggs is a no brainer of course from zags. Kispert is too good of a shooter not to land somewhere in later round1. Timme jury still out. But he’s too solid all around not to play somewhere. You can run a lot of stuff thru him but foot speed and defending a concern. Ayayi has good size for combo guard. Couple other tweezers too on both teams.

Hold On, the zags almost accomplished a perfect season, but let’s rewrite history.

The offense was not Poetry in motion is was fast pace game in transition. There defense was solid but not enough to go against an equally powerful line up.

UCLA slowed the transition game of the zags and to quite Few, “ they won on a lucky shot”. Now I will of course take any luck afford me or any team I want to win.

But luck placed the Zags in the championship and it was shown

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT