ADVERTISEMENT

12th annual Nor Cal Tip Off Classic Schedule-Nov. 24 at Newark Memorial

hoop review

Sports Fanatic
Jun 14, 2006
12th annual Nor Cal Tip Off Classic Schedule

Saturday November 24, 2018 at Newark Memorial High School

Game 1: 11:00 AM James Logan (Union City) vs Campolindo (Moraga)

Game 2: 12:30 PM Dublin vs. Riordan (San Francisco)

Game 3: 2:15 PM Newark Memorial (Newark) vs St. Patrick-St. Vincent (Vallejo)

Game 4: 3:45 PM Moreau Catholic (Hayward) vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco)

Game 5: 5:30 PM Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) vs. Grant (Sacramento)

Game 6: 7:00 PM Sheldon (Sacramento) vs. St. Bernard (Playa Del Rey)

Game 7: 8:30 PM Modesto Christian vs. Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita)

on Margarita, it looks like the highest college interest is on #13 Jake Kyman, a 6'7" forward who averaged 17.1 ppg as a junior last year. He's a 4-star on ESPN's rankings, but on some of the other scouting services he's not even a blip on the radar. According to Verbalcommits, he has eight offers including UCLA, USC and Colorado.

They also have a 6'11" center named Shengzhe LI who became eligible in January this year after moving from China last summer (I think) and is improving quickly, at least according to the announcers of the Nike Extravaganza. No college offers that I can see, but big *is* big. He'll be a senior next year.

Santa Margarita was in NorCal for a weekend last December, losing by 11 at Moreau and then winning by 17 at Mitty. Good solid team, but I'd say they'll have a lot of trouble with MC, especially if they can't get the game slowed to the 40's or 50's.

Can't find any non-terrible footage of St. Bernard, but what I could stand looking at showed that they have a 6'9" center named Romelle Mansel with some game... Has offers from UCSB, Pepperdine, Long Beach State and Fullerton. Not a whole lot of other size, but they have at least one freshman who played some... Team went 14-12 vs. a very strong schedule... I'd think Sheldon should get this one, even though they'll have lost a number of good 'uns off last year's tremendous team.

That's odd... TwitterLegend, the pic you put up shows up for like a half-second then disappears.

Hmm... dunno how I missed him in my hunt...

I guess the game vs. MC will be much better than I first thought.

Last edited:
The pic shows now. Must have been some glitch at the site you linked it from.

btw, since I heard somewhere on this site that Campo's Carter Mahaney had a brother expected to join forces with him on the Cougars, I went ahead and did the youth-hoops-geek thing and Googled him... Name is Aiden, and he does look awful good... Of course ya never know how well a kid will adapt to playing against older players, but an all-Mahaney backcourt from the streets of Moraga could be fun...

Last edited:
Reactions: meezymo
Dublin vs Riordan. Beasley vs Clark. Should be a great matchup of the top juniors (along with Monroe and Jackson) in the area next year!

Normally Logan has their own event the same day as Newark Memorial's tipoff, this year is different I guess

wonder if they're just changing it to a different weekend or they're cancelling it all together due to some funding/schedule issues

@LoganHomer, word on the street is that your school is doing some coaching shuffle. Any truth to that?

I heard the Busch family is out of there from a reliable source. Huge blow to the program. If you’ve ever been to a Logan game you can see how involved the Busch family was. The oldest of the two Busch brothers seemed be calling most of the shots. Logan has a very talented squad coming back so they will be good next year. But after that i see Moreau and Newark running the league again. Busch family changed the whole culture their. Never heard of Logan being good. State runner up and 2 league championships after a 15 year drought? Not bad.
@LoganHomer have you heard anything on why they were let go?

If true, I wonder if the Busch brothers stay in HS games or focus on work with Soldiers.

Agreed that they were a big part of culture change at Logan.

Reactions: MoneyTeam0115
So as usual in high school sports if Logan were a losing program then head coach
Melvin Easley would be taking the blame but them winning and the program being
In much better shape then the previous head coach he should receive some credit
for the programs turn around

Last edited:
Reactions: frencheezy
That wasn't the intention of my post at all. Melvin is part of the reason for success, as is his staff and players. However, I think it is fair to say that the assistants in question played a major role in the turnaround. Some staffs play a larger role than others and I think this is the case for Logan

@steak I am sure it wasn' your intention wasn't trying to single you out just wanted to add
that head coaches in high school basketball deserve more credit then they get especially
those that do a good job and do it the right way.

@steak I am sure it wasn' your intention wasn't trying to single you out just wanted to add
that head coaches in high school basketball deserve more credit then they get especially
those that do a good job and do it the right way.

Not saying he doesn’t receive any credit. Have you ever been to a Logan game? I’ve been to serveral and it seems like the assistant was calling all shots. Subs, sets, defenses, telling head coach when to call a timeout. I don’t know Easley personally but he seems like a good guy. Tried to research his basketball background and couldn’t find any.

@moneyteam yes I have been to several Logan games over the past 2 seasons and I am going
To just leave it as this they are in a much better place then they were in with the previous
head coach.

From my limited knowledge I just want to add a few things: First I don't think Matt and his brother have been let go by Logan, I think its more likely the Busch brothers are choosing to focus on other things, both of them are pretty young and ambitious, they have alot going for them right now. They're apart of the Oakland Soldiers AAU staff too so it might just be that they want to focus on doing their own thing.

It makes sense for them too because I don't think they're looking to stay as assistant coaches for a long period of time, they're capable of eventually having their own program whether it be through HS basketball or AAU basketball. I've never heard of a single instant of bad blood/feud between Easley and the brothers or the players and the brothers.

As for the Busch brothers vs. Easley, I think both sides played a huge role in changing the culture at Logan. Melvin Easley was more of the serious authority figure that all the players respected but the Busch brothers were more approachable, relatable and were atleast equally as responsible for the basketball aspects of it. One of the biggest losses IMO that I think comes from losing the Busch brothers is they're connections to AAU basketball.

Also I don't mean to keep bringing up the same thing but as good as Easley +Busch brothers are, another reason for Logan becoming better these past couple of years is that Fortenberry set the bar extremely low. Go look at the Logan basketball record when he was coaching then compare it to when he got done coaching. If that's not enough evidence, go check how Castro Valley is doing under Fort now. They've underachieved both seasons and will continue to do so until they realize that their coach is the problem. Fortenberry is a good guy, but he can't coach basketball.

From my limited knowledge I just want to add a few things: First I don't think Matt and his brother have been let go by Logan, I think its more likely the Busch brothers are choosing to focus on other things, both of them are pretty young and ambitious, they have alot going for them right now. They're apart of the Oakland Soldiers AAU staff too so it might just be that they want to focus on doing their own thing.

It makes sense for them too because I don't think they're looking to stay as assistant coaches for a long period of time, they're capable of eventually having their own program whether it be through HS basketball or AAU basketball. I've never heard of a single instant of bad blood/feud between Easley and the brothers or the players and the brothers.

As for the Busch brothers vs. Easley, I think both sides played a huge role in changing the culture at Logan. Melvin Easley was more of the serious authority figure that all the players respected but the Busch brothers were more approachable, relatable and were atleast equally as responsible for the basketball aspects of it. One of the biggest losses IMO that I think comes from losing the Busch brothers is they're connections to AAU basketball.

Also I don't mean to keep bringing up the same thing but as good as Easley +Busch brothers are, another reason for Logan becoming better these past couple of years is that Fortenberry set the bar extremely low. Go look at the Logan basketball record when he was coaching then compare it to when he got done coaching. If that's not enough evidence, go check how Castro Valley is doing under Fort now. They've underachieved both seasons and will continue to do so until they realize that their coach is the problem. Fortenberry is a good guy, but he can't coach basketball.

Fair enough. I think the dad played a huge role as well. Having 15 plus years in coaching high level basketball. But Logan is stacked with talent this year and should be really good again. Hopefully they can find some decent assistants that can fill those huge shoes.

Well those questions will get answered very quick in the season as they
have campo in the tip off classic then they go to the gridley tournament

@hoop review. The 4 to 6 pm time slots are going to be difficult to watch with the recent transfers. Sacred Heart lost its 2 best players and O'Dowd lost its best player . . .

Game 4: 3:45 PM Moreau Catholic (Hayward) vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco)

Game 7: 8:30 PM Modesto Christian vs. Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita)[/QUOTE]

@hoop review. The 4 to 6 pm time slots are going to be difficult to watch with the recent transfers. Sacred Heart lost its 2 best players and O'Dowd lost its best player . . .

[/QUOTE]

I would agree. Maybe O'Dowd could play Sacred Heart and Moreau and Grant could match up.

You guys are hilarious! ODowd will be just fine! They will always be good, no matter who is there, or in this case, not there! Can't wait until after the game so we can see what the commentary is then. Lol

You guys are hilarious! ODowd will be just fine! They will always be good, no matter who is there, or in this case, not there! Can't wait until after the game so we can see what the commentary is then. Lol
You're right they will still be good but SHC should be replaced in this event. I don't know what quality team would take their place and play O'Dowd at this point in time but if they get one that would be great.

12th annual Nor Cal Tip Off Classic Schedule

Game 7: 8:30 PM Modesto Christian vs. Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita)

Is this lineup set and final?

Riordan v Dublin should be a slug fest - too bad Mission (SF) can't replace SHC against Moreau Catholic.

I'd love to see Stuart Hall's team next year against Moreau Catholic.....but that's me personally being greedy :)

Reactions: jordan24
I'd love to see Stuart Hall's team next year against Moreau Catholic.....but that's me personally being greedy :)
Ayalar, Why not? Stuart Hall is a defending NorCal Champion with its entire roster returning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT