ADVERTISEMENT

1st annual Nor Cal Catholic School Challenge Schedule- Jan. 4, 2020 at Las Positas College

hoop review

Sports Fanatic
Jun 14, 2006
1st annual Nor Cal Catholic School Challenge Schedule

Saturday January 4, 2020 at Las Positas College

Game 1: 1:00 PM St. Mary’s (Albany) vs Central Catholic (Modesto)

Game 2: 2:30 PM Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) vs St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

Game 3: 4:00 PM St. Joseph’s-Notre Dame (Alameda) vs Damien (LaVerne)

Game 4: 5:30 PM Moreau Catholic (Hayward) vs Bishop Manogue (Reno)

Game 5: 7:00 PM St. Patrick-St. Vincent (Vallejo) vs San Joaquin Memorial (Fresno)

Reactions: coachlittle
Good line up. Surprised not to see DLS, Salesian or any WCAL teams though - maybe in future editions? I was not aware that San Joaquin Memorial was a Catholic school until now.

Good line up. Surprised not to see DLS, Salesian or any WCAL teams though - maybe in future editions? I was not aware that San Joaquin Memorial was a Catholic school until now.

Ah, yes. Rich Turney, the Pondexter brothers. The Lopez twins. Good times in Fresno back in the day.

De La salle was invited but turned it down..... WCAL has a league game that night unfortunately...

Reactions: observer22
I wish NCS had a league where all the Catholic Schools could play each other. Even the playing field until NCS playsoffs.

Reactions: dlew66
I wish NCS had a league where all the Catholic Schools could play each other. Even the playing field until NCS playsoffs.
The NCS did until 1986. It was called the CAL (Catholic Athletic League). Bishop O'Dowd, St. Elizabeth's, St. Joseph's, Salesians, St. Mary's, Moreau, De La Salle, and St. Patrick's were the last members of the CAL. Wish it was back too. Here's a bit of history from the WCAL page: http://www.wcalsports.org/docs/The Complete History of the WCAL.pdf

Reactions: mansnothot
That CAL league was fantastic... I began my years of intense hoops viewing with that league’s last few seasons. Hated it when they broke it up.

Even St Liz had strong teams... Wonder what happened over there... Ran outa money? De-emphasized sports?

That was before Salesian (no s at the end, please) became the powerhouse they are now...

DLS was low to mid level when I started watching in the early 80’s... Their fortunes improved greatly when current DVC coach Steve Coccimiglio started. They’ve rarely had an off year since.

Last edited:
That CAL league was fantastic... I began my years of intense hoops viewing with that league’s last few seasons. Hated it when they broke it up.

Even St Liz had strong teams... Wonder what happened over there... Ran outa money? De-emphasized sports?

That was before Salesian (no s at the end, please) became the powerhouse they are now...

DLS was low to mid level when I started watching in the early 80’s... Their fortunes improved greatly when current DVC coach Steve Coccimiglio started. They’ve rarely had an off year since.
Salesian won the CAL in 1973, finishi g 3rd in the TOC behind San Joaquin Memorial ( Cliff Pondexter) and Berkeley ( Ruppert Jones, Gene Ransom). Also went to the TOC in the mid 60's. Some very good teams in those days but only the league winner got to play postseason

Yea, DLS won 4 straight Gridley titles in the mid eighties.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Yes Kiddman32, St. Liz had very strong teams back then. Always one of the top 4 teams in the CAL in the mid 80s. My father graduated from there in the 60s when they were a powerhouse in all sports. Dave Stewart (Oakland A's) is an alum and was an All American in baseball AND football at St. Liz. Unfortunately, they ran into financial issues the past few decades. My father was very involved in raising money for them. Good news is that the school is now Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School.

I'm a Salesians '86 grad. If you're from the Salesians' community, you refer to the school with the "s" at the end. The formal name of the order is Salesians of Don Bosco. Even kids from the Richmond area call it "Salesians." The school was once a seminary and the name stuck.

You're right regarding hoops @ Salesians. However, we would have been a great squad if David "Air" Barksdale (Bay Area hoop legend) and Mike Rodriquez would have stayed their senior years. They were the starting PF and SF on the NorCal Champions/NCS Runner-up De Anza Dons (30-4) in '87. Salesians was very strong in baseball and football as you probably remember. I played on both squads that had to deal with rise of the DLS Spartans. They won their first NCS baseball title in '85, and they beat us for the CAL baseball championship in '85 and '86. We were the CAL football power for decades until the late 80s. We beat DLS in 1983 and played them tough my senior year. There is a whole chapter that tells the story about this intense rivalry in their book "When the Game Stands Tall." We're 3-3 against them lifetime.

Are you sure about DLS being low-level in the 80s in hoops? They had Scooter and Jon Barry (Rick's sons) as well as Mike Vontoure back then. They won the CAL in '86 and lost to Gary Payton's/Greg Foster's Skyline Titans in NorCals.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Yes Kiddman32, St. Liz had very strong teams back then. Always one of the top 4 teams in the CAL in the mid 80s. My father graduated from there in the 60s when they were a powerhouse in all sports. Dave Stewart (Oakland A's) is an alum and was an All American in baseball AND football at St. Liz. Unfortunately, they ran into financial issues the past few decades. My father was very involved in raising money for them. Good news is that the school is now Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School.

I'm a Salesians '86 grad. If you're from the Salesians' community, you refer to the school with the "s" at the end. The formal name of the order is Salesians of Don Bosco. Even kids from the Richmond area call it "Salesians." The school was once a seminary and the name stuck.

You're right regarding hoops @ Salesians. However, we would have been a great squad if David "Air" Barksdale (Bay Area hoop legend) and Mike Rodriquez would have stayed their senior years. They were the starting PF and SF on the NorCal Champions/NCS Runner-up De Anza Dons (30-4) in '87. Salesians was very strong in baseball and football as you probably remember. I played on both squads that had to deal with rise of the DLS Spartans. They won their first NCS baseball title in '85, and they beat us for the CAL baseball championship in '85 and '86. We were the CAL football power for decades until the late 80s. We beat DLS in 1983 and played them tough my senior year. There is a whole chapter that tells the story about this intense rivalry in their book "When the Game Stands Tall." We're 3-3 against them lifetime.

Are you sure about DLS being low-level in the 80s in hoops? They had Scooter and Jon Barry (Rick's sons) as well as Mike Vontoure back then. They won the CAL in '86 and lost to Gary Payton's/Greg Foster's Skyline Titans in NorCals.

Like i said in my previous post, four titles for DLS mid Eighties at Gridley
Bob Wright was MVP in '83
Don Cashmen was MVP in '84
Mike Vontoure was MVP of the GIBT in '85

Here's wishing you great hoops

I said low-to-mid level when I *started* watching, Bob Wright’s junior year (and I think Steve Coccimiglio’s first year at the helm). And they were mid-pack in the CAL that year. I saw records from DLS’s seasons before then... Generally not very good.

The next year, the year Wright was MVP at Gridley, they were excellent and could beat just about anybody but O’Dowd.

They have been good to excellent just about every year since.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT