ADVERTISEMENT

2024 PCAL Predictions Pt 1.

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Football_

A quick recap of the PCAL. The Southern CCS is comprised of the PCAL. It is 28 teams from Monterey Santa Cruz and San Benito counties. This year there are 7 teams that comprise the 4 divisions. The Gabilan (A) receives 4 playoff bids, the Mission North(B) 2, the Mission South (B) 2 and the Santa Lucia (C) 1. In most years the 5th place Gabilan team qualifies as an at large team, and my guess so will the best 3rd place team from either the Mission North or Mission South (maybe both?) . PAL-booster and the NASA computer know how CCS at large playoffs are figured out. The League is equity based along with some geography, but this past year there were only a few moves-

2024 Moves

Gabilan (A)- Stayed the same nobody was moved in and nobody moved out.

Mission North (B) – Alisal moved from the Mission South, and Santa Cruz was moved down to Santa Lucia

Mission South (B)- Greenfield was promoted from the Santa Lucia to the Mission South while Alisal was moved up north.

Santa Lucia (C)- Santa Cruz moved in and Greenfield moved out.

Greenfield up and Santa Cuz down make sense. Greenfield won the Santa Lucia league last year and have a had some larger turnouts for their program the past few years. They can compete at the B level. Santa Cruz could barely muster a team last year and had some forfeits. Lots of defects to cross town powerhouse Soquel. Santa Cruz belongs in the C league.

But Carmel, they return most of their weapons from last year including QB, 2WR’s, 1 Athlete and a lineman going to Alabama plus 2 other OL starters. They beat a Gabilan team (Alvarez 35-14) and gave eventual state champion Soquel one of their closest playoff battles. This team should be in the Gabilan. In addition, the 2nd place finisher last year, Alisal, was shipped out and replaced with Greenfield due to geography? Last time I looked Rancho San Juan and North Salinas were way north of Alisal. Carmel admins must have some pictures of somebody…

Gabilan –

This division is up for grabs as I think any of the top 4 teams can take it. Salinas is the reining champion, but Soquel was probably the best team at the end of the season. Monterey has some of the best athletes returning, while Palma no longer plays for Gabilan supremacy but for CCS and state bowl titles. Hollister will be a tough out, I expect Aptos to regress a little bit after legendary coach retired. And Alvarez, well they have over 100 kids in the program

• Salinas- Most people will disagree with me on this and that’s ok. But until they don’t repeat, I am giving the Coach Zenk the benefit of the doubt. He has built one of the top public-school programs in the CCS and he seems to be able to re-load each year. Until beaten they are my choice for #1
  • Soquel- With the influx of Santa Cruz talent, Soquel probably had the better team at the end of the year than Salinas. But Salinas won the early league matchup. Coach Lowery had built a powerhouse they have replaced Aptos as the best football in Santa Cruz County. They have the toughest schedule.
  • Monterey-They return some of the best skill positions in the Gabilan. They have a chance to do something special here as Coach Besaw has finally brought stability and discipline to this program. Having open enrollment between Marina Seaside and Monterey does not hurt either. Depth up front is their biggest concern.
  • Palma- They will be young this year, but could be very dangerous. @NorCalSportsFan can provide a full summary of all Palma football from this year’s 7th graders all the way back to current President Chris Dalman (Class of 88). In all seriousness, Palma seems to have shifted its focus the past few years from Gabilan titles to CCS and potential state bowl game seeds. It worked last year as they were able get a CCS DIII title, NorCal Bowl title and State Bowl title all while finishing in 4th place.
  • Hollister-It feels it has been a while since Hollister has really challenged for a division title. They did have a good team in 2021, but the consistency has not been there the past 5-6 years. They had a weird loss to Alvarez last year. This is very large school, and the community is passionate about the team, so there is a chance they will be very good just due the amount of kids playing football. I just don’t see them being better than the 4 schools above them.
  • Aptos-Blankenship is a NorCal coaching legend, and his tenure at Aptos will go down in Mainer’s football history. He is now retired. I see Aptos taking a step back this year. Plus the Gabilan is loaded up top that will make wins very difficult under a new regime.
  • Alvarez-Hope Springs Eternal on the Alvarez football field. Every year they hope to be better and compete and every year they end up towards the bottom of the Gabilan. Last time they made the playoff they were in the Mission division. A new coach brings new excitement, but unfortunately, I think the results will be close to the same.

PCAL Football_

A quick recap of the PCAL. The Southern CCS is comprised of the PCAL. It is 28 teams from Monterey Santa Cruz and San Benito counties. This year there are 7 teams that comprise the 4 divisions. The Gabilan (A) receives 4 playoff bids, the Mission North(B) 2, the Mission South (B) 2 and the Santa Lucia (C) 1. In most years the 5th place Gabilan team qualifies as an at large team, and my guess so will the best 3rd place team from either the Mission North or Mission South (maybe both?) . PAL-booster and the NASA computer know how CCS at large playoffs are figured out. The League is equity based along with some geography, but this past year there were only a few moves-

2024 Moves

Mission North (B) – Alisal moved from the Mission South, and Santa Cruz was moved down to Santa Lucia

Mission South (B)- Greenfield was promoted from the Santa Lucia to the Mission South while Alisal was moved up north.

Greenfield up and Santa Cuz down make sense. Greenfield won the Santa Lucia league last year and have a had some larger turnouts for their program the past few years. They can compete at the B level. Santa Cruz could barely muster a team last year and had some forfeits. Lots of defects to cross town powerhouse Soquel. Santa Cruz belongs in the C league.

But Carmel, they return most of their weapons from last year including QB, 2WR’s, 1 Athlete and a lineman going to Alabama plus 2 other OL starters. They beat a Gabilan team (Alvarez 35-14) and gave eventual state champion Soquel one of their closest playoff battles. This team should be in the Gabilan. In addition, the 2nd place finisher last year, Alisal, was shipped out and replaced with Greenfield due to geography? Last time I looked Rancho San Juan and North Salinas were way north of Alisal. Carmel admins must have some pictures of somebody…

Gabilan –

This division is up for grabs as I think any of the top 4 teams can take it. Salinas is the reining champion, but Soquel was probably the best team at the end of the season. Monterey has some of the best athletes returning, while Palma no longer plays for Gabilan supremacy but for CCS and state bowl titles. Hollister will be a tough out, I expect Aptos to regress a little bit after legendary coach retired. And Alvarez, well they have over 100 kids in the program

• Salinas- Most people will disagree with me on this and that’s ok. But until they don’t repeat, I am giving the Coach Zenk the benefit of the doubt. He has built one of the top public-school programs in the CCS and he seems to be able to re-load each year. Until beaten they are my choice for #1
  • Soquel- With the influx of Santa Cruz talent, Soquel probably had the better team at the end of the year than Salinas. But Salinas won the early league matchup. Coach Lowery had built a powerhouse they have replaced Aptos as the best football in Santa Cruz County. They have the toughest schedule.
  • Monterey-They return some of the best skill positions in the Gabilan. They have a chance to do something special here as Coach Besaw has finally brought stability and discipline to this program. Having open enrollment between Marina Seaside and Monterey does not hurt either. Depth up front is their biggest concern.
  • Palma- They will be young this year, but could be very dangerous. @NorCalSportsFan can provide a full summary of all Palma football from this year’s 7th graders all the way back to current President Chris Dalman (Class of 88). In all seriousness, Palma seems to have shifted its focus the past few years from Gabilan titles to CCS and potential state bowl game seeds. It worked last year as they were able get a CCS DIII title, NorCal Bowl title and State Bowl title all while finishing in 4th place.
  • Hollister-It feels it has been a while since Hollister has really challenged for a division title. They did have a good team in 2021, but the consistency has not been there the past 5-6 years. They had a weird loss to Alvarez last year. This is very large school, and the community is passionate about the team, so there is a chance they will be very good just due the amount of kids playing football. I just don’t see them being better than the 4 schools above them.
  • Aptos-Blankenship is a NorCal coaching legend, and his tenure at Aptos will go down in Mainer’s football history. He is now retired. I see Aptos taking a step back this year. Plus the Gabilan is loaded up top that will make wins very difficult under a new regime.
  • Alvarez-Hope Springs Eternal on the Alvarez football field. Every year they hope to be better and compete and every year they end up towards the bottom of the Gabilan. Last time they made the playoff they were in the Mission division. A new coach brings new excitement, but unfortunately, I think the results will be close to the same.
Outstanding ranking and commentary. I actually go all the way back to Palma football as early as 1974/75 a whopping 50 years....crazy to think of it in those terms. My football idols were Chieftains when I was a 7th grader at Palma. Last season Chieftain QB finally matured and took the games into his hands (and emergence of a frosh star RB helped). He was always good (now QB at USD) but seems to have had a late season confidence to run with the ball which added a threat.

Getting my first of two full joint replacements tomorrow and hopefully will recover soon enough to attend some early season league games (Salinas and Soquel are relatively early season games for Palma and hoping to make one of them). Looks like all the early non-league great matchups. I will have to look for video streams. Thank goodness for streaming until then. Looks like I'll have extra time off work to focus on the pickem. Good luck all on a great new season.

PCAL Football_

2024 Moves

Gabilan –

It would be foolish to not have Salinas at the top of the Gab or even at the top of the county rankings. Until someone knocks them off they belong there. Its a joke Devine put Carmel there in his rankings for the county.

Monterey is the wild card. They've got a lot of talent at the skills positions. Despite losing to SHS last season I thought they were the better team in that game. That will be a really good matchup again. They looked good in their scrimmage against Palma.

Soquel as you said has risen as the new Santa Cruz County power. They lost a lot of studs so we will see how they reload. I know their lower level teams were solid and they are testing themselves early.

Palma we will see. 14 sophomores on varisty is absurd. They've got the size. If Dukes can get loose, they will play with any team. We might see a 300 carry season similar to the old Emilio Martinez and Villegas days if he can stay healthy. They will get better as the year goes on. They likely end up 6-4 and will be a borderline DII/DIII team for playoffs.

The other 3 teams will battle eachother but probably won't compete with the 4 above. It's sad Carmel didn't bump up to Gab and make this a true equity league for a very competitive Gab.

Palma also has another soph RB Isaak Hernandez who will open some eyes and was a beast in the youth leagues and even another soph RB up. The line has some size in 6-7, 325lb. Soph Josiah Castaneda who will be a force and 6-2 265 lbs soph Caden Colon should be a force at some point. There are others up on defense and other line that will be very good on JV. Time will tell and if frosh has talent they should have some good teams over the next few years. Frosh play Mission Prep, Bells and Los Gatos in non league games so they should have relatively strong schedule.

Palma also has another soph RB Isaak Hernandez who will open some eyes and was a beast in the youth leagues and even another soph RB up. The line has some size in 6-7, 325lb. Soph Josiah Castaneda who will be a force and 6-2 265 lbs soph Caden Colon should be a force at some point. There are others up on defense and other line that will be very good on JV. Time will tell and if frosh has talent they should have some good teams over the next few years. Frosh play Mission Prep, Bells and Los Gatos in non league games so they should have relatively strong schedule.
Salinas has a loaded frosh team. Lots of top youth players on that team. Good luck to Palma ever catching up.

Palma should catch up in another year. Salinas Jrs are stacked but Salinas sophs not much. Palma frosh should be pretty good.

They will in a year or two. Frosh will be strong and complement their very talented soph class

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT