ADVERTISEMENT

64th Annual Crusader Classic @ Archbishop Riordan This Week

Hey JD24 - what's the deal with Rencher not playing against Roosevelt? Is he still suspended from last year's altercation w/ Inderkum or is he injured? Excited to see Zion, Andrew and Jasir play together.....

Hey JD24 - what's the deal with Rencher not playing against Roosevelt? Is he still suspended from last year's altercation w/ Inderkum or is he injured? Excited to see Zion, Andrew and Jasir play together.....
I understand he and Tshamala will be eligible to return on Saturday due to last year’s incident. Tshamala is injured as well as John Tofi, so not sure how long they will be out.

One of the teams that I was hoping to see in the Crusader Classic was SRV but then I saw them matched up against Riordan in the first round at Gridley. Should be a good game.

I understand he and Tshamala will be eligible to return on Saturday due to last year’s incident. Tshamala is injured as well as John Tofi, so not sure how long they will be out.
Great news - Riordan will be a handful when they get all their players back and are at full strength. Missing a true PG to set the table although their wings can all do a serviceable job handling the rock. Possibly Kaia can develop further in that role as a facilitator. Hillman's continuing development is impressive - he's tough to deal with when he makes up his mind to get to the basket....

Great news - Riordan will be a handful when they get all their players back and are at full strength. Missing a true PG to set the table although their wings can all do a serviceable job handling the rock. Possibly Kaia can develop further in that role as a facilitator. Hillman's continuing development is impressive - he's tough to deal with when he makes up his mind to get to the basket....
Jr Ryder Bush is another quality PG on their roster that is currently in the sit out period, with Emeneke.

I will be doing my best Kiddman impersonation for this Riordan/University Championship game

Should arrive at 745….right before the game starts.

Might have to leave early due to family obligations

Uni vs. Riordan

Riordan def the larger team but we all know University teams are gritty.

Uni has come to play……8-4 4:24 in 1st

Gus Fried with early 4 points for Uni

Uni on fire early…multiple players hitting but 3s

Uni 16 Riordan 8 2:47 in 1st

Wow I’m just standing in this gym stunned

Foul and 1 for riordan cuts it to 50-34

Uni just cutting driving and as the smaller team dominating inside

It’s 63-44 University….im about ready to roll out

Just imagine Uni playing the best game possible and Riordan playing horrible.

Still much credit for University for absolutely pounding the interior

University was in control the entire game. . Crusaders really struggling as a team at the moment.

64th Crusader Classic - Championship
Final - University 73, Archbishop Riordan 63

Reactions: ayalar09
University was in control the entire game. . Crusaders really struggling as a team at the moment.

64th Crusader Classic - Championship
Final - University 73, Archbishop Riordan 63
Last year there was a string of games when team was totally locked in particularly on defense. Players were active, rotating/switching, etc. It's early, with players in-and-out with injuries, SOP, whatever... They'll win more than lose in this non-league part of the schedule based on sheer talent alone, but we'll see if its going to be the same ol' Riordan come playoff time or a team that puts it all together and wins title(s).

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Yeah Riordan will def be better when Kaia Berridge is back from injury and Nes Emeneke is cleared to play.

Last night Rencher really struggled. He was missing layups, missing free throws, wasn’t rebounding much. I saw a 6’1 University player continue to drive to the rim at ease on him without much of a challenge.

Riordan better be ready because they will be playing some really good teams at Gridley.

They play like they did last night, and they won’t have much luck beating most of those teams.

Tried to watch the Hudl video of the final this morning... All sorts of technical issues, and a guy standing in the way for long periods of time before I gave up.

C'mon Hudl and Riordan... Do better.

Yeah Riordan will def be better when Kaia Berridge is back from injury and Nes Emeneke is cleared to play.

Last night Rencher really struggled. He was missing layups, missing free throws, wasn’t rebounding much. I saw a 6’1 University player continue to drive to the rim at ease on him without much of a challenge.

Riordan better be ready because they will be playing some really good teams at Gridley.

They play like they did last night, and they won’t have much luck beating most of those teams.
Lots to clean up heading into Gridley next week. But it’s early in the season and Riordan’s D and overall team play really gels come league/playoffs…

Sensley is trying to do too much and winds up out of control on offense and/or hoisting up 3s so early rather than being in the flow of the offense. University capitalized on that. Disappointed in Zion’s defense z He seems disinterested. - not even raising his long arms to disrupt a shot. He won’t get much playing time under Bennet next year playing defense like he has.

Last edited:
Lots to clean up heading into Gridley next week. But it’s early in the season and Riordan’s D and overall team play really gels come league/playoffs…

Sensley is trying to do too much and winds up out of control on offense and/or hoisting up 3s so early rather than being in the flow of the offense. University capitalized on that. Disappointed in Zion’s defense z He seems disinterested. - not even raising his long arms to disrupt a shot. He won’t get much playing time under Bennet next year playing defense like he has.

All I’ll say about it, was that was a game made for Zion to drive, get fouled. Go to the line. The refs were letting them play, and he did not adjust.

I agree, defense was probably the biggest issue for Riordan last night. Wide open three pointers, no bench energy…crazy thing is I think University has had a lot better teams than this in the past. Maybe I’m wrong.

When I walked into the Crusader Dome and saw both teams, I thought Riordan comfortably….by 10+. Then as the game adjusted, just incredible resilience and drive by Uni to not ever give up that lead. I think the closest Riordan got at any point was 8 points.

If this is the way Sensley's season is going to go:
- no interest in playing defense or rebounding
- shot selection is comprised of majority of 3s
- does not want to drive to the basket and get any shot inside 15 ft that he wants

this is called Stephen Domingo-itis

Reactions: dcfan and SF_Mikey
All I’ll say about it, was that was a game made for Zion to drive, get fouled. Go to the line. The refs were letting them play, and he did not adjust.

I agree, defense was probably the biggest issue for Riordan last night. Wide open three pointers, no bench energy…crazy thing is I think University has had a lot better teams than this in the past. Maybe I’m wrong.

When I walked into the Crusader Dome and saw both teams, I thought Riordan comfortably….by 10+. Then as the game adjusted, just incredible resilience and drive by Uni to not ever give up that lead. I think the closest Riordan got at any point was 8 points.
when people walk into the gym THEY always look better in warm ups.

when people walk into the gym THEY always look better in warm ups.

In my limited experience….90% of the time in high school you can tell who is going to win the game by the warm ups and layup line.

Riordan looked ready to go and when the whistle blew, Uni was all over them and they had no answers from start to finish.

Every time I see University against Riordan - I wonder how much Riordan would beat Uni by if they swapped coaches.... I know that's mean to say but hard for me to come away with any other conclusion as I have seen this scenario play out too many times. That being said, two completely different coaching styles / philosophies and types of athletes so I don't exactly know if Randy could get the Zions to buy into his system! Isola and the Dr made it work back in the day for the Crusaders though.

On the positive side for Riordan coaching his teams do seem to come together / play better as the season progresses so that's not nothing as it's not how you start but how you finish that counts.

Every time I see University against Riordan - I wonder how much Riordan would beat Uni by if they swapped coaches.... I know that's mean to say but hard for me to come away with any other conclusion as I have seen this scenario play out too many times. That being said, two completely different coaching styles / philosophies and types of athletes so I don't exactly know if Randy could get the Zions to buy into his system! Isola and the Dr made it work back in the day for the Crusaders though.

On the positive side for Riordan coaching his teams do seem to come together / play better as the season progresses so that's not nothing as it's not how you start but how you finish that counts.
It's hard to cosch talent. Especially with a 32 minute game and everyone going to the nba

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT