ADVERTISEMENT

A CA CIF Tournament Similar to the NCAA Tournament

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
Alright guys......we argue a lot on here about how the CIF isn't doing the best job making a "fair" tournament.

The "wrong teams" from Norcal ended up winning State Titles according to many posters on here.

So instead of argue, I decided lets fix this. or at least float some ideas. This is my first idea.

Ok so Idea 1 is probably the most expensive, but also possible. A Statewide Tournament:

Top 64 from Norcal
Top 64 from Socal

Similar to NCAA's have pre-decided sites to host the games.

Norcal Potential Host Sites: Spanos Center, Kezar Pavilion, Oakland Arena, USF War Memorial Gym, CCSF Gym, St. Mary's The Pavilion, Fresno St. Save Mart Center, Sac St. The Nest....etc.
Socal Potential Host Sites: LMU Burns Center, Pepperdine Firestone Field House, LBSU Pyramid....etc.

What would some of the first round matchups looked like on the Norcal side?

Campo vs. Mountain View (The Pavilion Moraga, CA)
Clovis West vs. Carlmont (Save Mart Center Fresno, CA)
Modesto Christian vs. Urban (Spanos Center Stockton, CA)
De La Salle vs. Lowell (SF) (Oakland Arena, Oakland, CA)
Riordan vs. Justin- Siena (CCSF San Francisco, CA)
Sheldon vs. Liberty Ranch (The Nest Sacramento, CA)
Sacred Heart Prep vs. University Prep (Redding) (Leavey Center, Santa Clara, CA)

I will conclude by saying the other teams could be in an NIT-like tournament where the Championship gets played before the State Title Game

As Marc says....here's wishing you great hoops even in May!

All those matchups you listed seem absolutely terrible and boring, I would pass on that everyday of the week

Reactions: ankleassassin
All those matchups you listed seem absolutely terrible and boring, I would pass on that everyday of the week

Right so you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

you can’t all complain about the different divisions and then want another format.

California is a large state. The more teams that can get a chance to win a state title the better.

you can’t expect 1 vs 64 and 2 vs 63 too be mind blowing matchups.

Alright guys......we argue a lot on here about how the CIF isn't doing the best job making a "fair" tournament.

The "wrong teams" from Norcal ended up winning State Titles according to many posters on here.

So instead of argue, I decided lets fix this. or at least float some ideas. This is my first idea.

Ok so Idea 1 is probably the most expensive, but also possible. A Statewide Tournament:

Top 64 from Norcal
Top 64 from Socal

Similar to NCAA's have pre-decided sites to host the games.

Norcal Potential Host Sites: Spanos Center, Kezar Pavilion, Oakland Arena, USF War Memorial Gym, CCSF Gym, St. Mary's The Pavilion, Fresno St. Save Mart Center, Sac St. The Nest....etc.
Socal Potential Host Sites: LMU Burns Center, Pepperdine Firestone Field House, LBSU Pyramid....etc.

What would some of the first round matchups looked like on the Norcal side?

Campo vs. Mountain View (The Pavilion Moraga, CA)
Clovis West vs. Carlmont (Save Mart Center Fresno, CA)
Modesto Christian vs. Urban (Spanos Center Stockton, CA)
De La Salle vs. Lowell (SF) (Oakland Arena, Oakland, CA)
Riordan vs. Justin- Siena (CCSF San Francisco, CA)
Sheldon vs. Liberty Ranch (The Nest Sacramento, CA)
Sacred Heart Prep vs. University Prep (Redding) (Leavey Center, Santa Clara, CA)

I will conclude by saying the other teams could be in an NIT-like tournament where the Championship gets played before the State Title Game

As Marc says....here's wishing you great hoops even in May!
dawg... this wouldnt work. AT ALL. this would be like placing all D1,2,3 and naia in a bracket and playing. non of those teams would have a chance versus the bigger schools. also where would stuart hall be at in this tourney?

Reactions: ayalar09
Also, like you said it's a big state...but you're only using Bay and Sac as primary locations for hosting. If it's a true Norcal Tourney, maybe you include Humboldt State, Shasta Collge Chico State, Mendo College...

Reactions: ayalar09
Also, like you said it's a big state...but you're only using Bay and Sac as primary locations for hosting. If it's a true Norcal Tourney, maybe you include Humboldt State, Shasta Collge Chico State, Mendo College...

I tried giving the higher seed homecourt advantage. Nothing further than a 30-40 min drive for the home team. Unfortunately those teams from those areas (outside Plesant Valley in Chico) aren’t good enough to host in a 64 team tourney!

I will give you the simple solution. Give someone like myself that spent almost 15 years sitting on the floor at Arco and Golden 1, give me a Tyshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler, Aaron Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Jeremy Lin playing division 2. Give me a Hassan Adams and Trevor Ariza in division 1. Give me one half of the splash brothers in division 3 and a Jrue Holiday in Division 4. I could go on and on with big time D1 players and some who made the NBA. But no offense, I am not going up to Sacramento for what was the two greatest days of high school basketball to see one guy going to Duke. And maybe I am wrong, maybe a few other big timers where up there, but I guarantee not even close to all of the above.

And with prep schools taking more of the top talent away, their may come a day when the CIF state championship weekend has nobody big time.

I mean even on the girls end I have seen big time UConn, Tennessee, and many other big time schools. On the boys I have seen UCLA, Arizona, Duke, Carolina, Michigan, and many other big time recruits.

So being it is the California State Championship’s, old school guys like me who got to say St Joes at 5pm to see JKidd play so you could get in, either bring the best talent to the biggest stage, or it’s a weekend that many of the best will never ever play on again.

I will give you the simple solution. Give someone like myself that spent almost 15 years sitting on the floor at Arco and Golden 1, give me a Tyshaun Prince, Tyson Chandler, Aaron Gordon, Ryan Anderson and Jeremy Lin playing division 2. Give me a Hassan Adams and Trevor Ariza in division 1. Give me one half of the splash brothers in division 3 and a Jrue Holiday in Division 4. I could go on and on with big time D1 players and some who made the NBA. But no offense, I am not going up to Sacramento for what was the two greatest days of high school basketball to see one guy going to Duke. And maybe I am wrong, maybe a few other big timers where up there, but I guarantee not even close to all of the above.

And with prep schools taking more of the top talent away, their may come a day when the CIF state championship weekend has nobody big time.

I mean even on the girls end I have seen big time UConn, Tennessee, and many other big time schools. On the boys I have seen UCLA, Arizona, Duke, Carolina, Michigan, and many other big time recruits.

So being it is the California State Championship’s, old school guys like me who got to say St Joes at 5pm to see JKidd play so you could get in, either bring the best talent to the biggest stage, or it’s a weekend that many of the best will never ever play on again.
This is really good. While we have stopped the same teams winning lower divisions, it has come at a cost of less history in each division (BOD in D3, Branson/Modesto Christian in D5, etc) and top players in general coming to Sacramento for the final weekend.

We already have a State Tourney similar to the NCAA. It’s called The Open, but it’s limited to just a max of 16 teams, 8 each from NorCal & SoCal.

The D1 Championship is similar to the NIT with 32 teams max, D2 & D3 are similar to the CBI & CIT with 32 teams each, and D4 & D5 are just whoever is left over that qualified but wasn’t deemed in the top 112 teams in the state.

I could see expanding the number of teams in the Open, but teams already complain about being the lower seeds in The Open to be cannon fodder as it is. Putting 128 teams in The Open is not a solution.

What they need to do is hold all The Open games in one central location so fans and players can see all the games and great players on these top teams, not just the teams that make the state finals. Do the same for D1 and hold them on different dates so people can go to all of them. D2 through D5 can play at home sites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT