ADVERTISEMENT

AAU Team Recommendation

Nov 18, 2018
I'm reaching out to the boys basketball community for information regarding a boys AAU team.
- U9ish age group (he's in 3rd grade)

He plays for an AAU team in their U10 team, which is kind of entry-mid level team.
My son has got good fundamentals, strong athlete. Practices a lot on improving his skills. I'm hoping working with a better team/program will improve his foundations. So maybe an AAU team which is mid to high level.

We are in Fremont and would prefer something there / close-by.

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback.

Don't venture down 880 to the Oakland soldiers are you will be broke for sure.

Save the money. Put the kid in a youth league for the next few years and if he really wants to work on basketball, go on YouTube to find drills. Take the money you saved and go on vacation. You’ll thank me later.

He's speaks the truth. Let him play in local youth rec leagues. Wait until middle school for all the AAU hype. Based on experience having coached and had my own son in AAU since the 3rd grade. Enjoy family vacays instead!!

I agree with the above consensus. There are plenty of rec leagues throughout the bay area for younger kids. Work individually, go to some camps, and just let the kid play! I wouldn't recommend a true AAU team until at least 5th/6th grade or better yet, middle school. Now on the same note, there are some travel type teams that I guess you could consider AAU, but they are not the upper end, expensive, non stop travel type that are ok. I ran a club in the North Bay like that. We played every other weekend in the spring and didn't travel more than a couple hours to a tournament. Keep it simple at that age or they will burn out...

The Bay Area Mambas are one of the more competitive programs around and I think they are based in Fremont area so practices / tryouts would be relatively close to you. I am not sure if they have more than one elite / select team though.

Lol. Here comes the multiple posts about my program/this program is best. 3rd grade folks. I'm sure you or an uncle/aunt or cousin or friend can teach a 3rd grader how to dribble, shoot and pass. No need for a parent volunteer at an "elite" aau team to teach your son.

If you have the ability to pay several hundred dollars per month + the costs of traveling and admission ($10) to games for yourself and family AAU is a great option for you. Be ready for an unsatisfactory experience with a 2nd rate coach.

Reactions: dcfan
Since most of these post dont seem helpful for what you're asking, here's some advice from someone who has coach at 7th grade, 8th grade, JV, and varsity levels.(Employed by a school district and AAU).

AAU is pointless at that age. So many changing variables for kids that young. Nobody knows who's going to be good or even continue playing a couple years down the road. Find an active youth league, some high school camps, and just have him continue working at home for the next few years. Take him to high school games and let him learn by observing too. The ideal year to start AAU is 6th grade. You want him to get the idea of what a real tryout is and the fact that starting in middle school, you'll have to beat someone out to earn a spot on a team. Hopefully there is a local team that plays with kids who will be moving on to a certain middle school together. If he makes such a team, it gives him a chance to build friendships with people outside his comfort zone and hopefully grow together with them. I say that too because middle school seasons are so short nowadays. Its hard for kids to build chemistry and coaches to develop players if their season is only 2 months long and games start after a handful of practices. Dont worry about elite teams, if your son is good enough, he will find his way there.

Having said that, all that really matters is you having grounded expectations for your son. That's the best advice I can give. If he is interested in other sports, then let him try. But dont push him into it just for the sake of doing it. And people who tell you how to spend your money, should be the last people to listen to. Only you know what is viable for you, and not every Organization seeks to drain parents' pockets. When the time is right, you'll find what works for your son and your bank account.

Good luck to your son. I hope yall find what you're looking for.

Lol. Here comes the multiple posts about my program/this program is best. 3rd grade folks. I'm sure you or an uncle/aunt or cousin or friend can teach a 3rd grader how to dribble, shoot and pass. No need for a parent volunteer at an "elite" aau team to teach your son.

Let the kid be a kid. It doesn't matter if he plays Boys Club or YMCA in 3rd grade! By the times he's in jr high it will become more important if he goes that route but for now listen to the others. Enjoy your life and family.

Reactions: Jaw Knee
Thanks everyone. For someone who is doing this the first time, this is very useful information. I looked into the local youth rec leagues - found out about
- Fremont Youth basketball league (Regerec)
- YMCA basketball league
- CYO.
If there are any others, then do let me know. Might also be useful for other parents that are looking at alternatives to AAU.

Reactions: CityVibesII
My view on a 3rd grade player... as with others:
a. worry about skills /practice, do not worry about the team....or status of that team. (other than the coach is a teacher of skills/teamwork)
b. worry about learning how to play team basketball vs selfish basketball
c. develop skills that enables the player to see better... (teammates, defenders, how plays develop, etc)
d. the player has to want to get better, want to practice, want to develop more skills on top of the skills already has.
e. other sports?? at this age, develop a love of sports (not just one sport) many sports compliment each other as far as skills development... (physical, mental)...

Reactions: CityVibesII
I'm reaching out to the boys basketball community for information regarding a boys AAU team.
- U9ish age group (he's in 3rd grade)

He plays for an AAU team in their U10 team, which is kind of entry-mid level team.
My son has got good fundamentals, strong athlete. Practices a lot on improving his skills. I'm hoping working with a better team/program will improve his foundations. So maybe an AAU team which is mid to high level.

We are in Fremont and would prefer something there / close-by.

Thanks in advance and appreciate any feedback.
Eastbaywildcatshoops@gmail.com GREAT PROGRAM

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT