ADVERTISEMENT

AJ left PP

vukovich

Sports Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
A little national news as 25 #1 recruit announced he will attending Utah prep for his senior year after playing his junior year at PP.

I don't follow the prep school landscape that closely, but this seems like a curious move for a top ranked player

Not going to tell everyone the reason why this happened, but I know the reason and it’s very sad.

Imagine having to move from beautiful Napa, CA to the literal middle of nowhere Hurricane, UT.

What’s funny is next season, Prolific will beat that same Utah team by 20+, but the program wishes AJ all the best and hope he finds whatever he is looking for at Utah Prep.

I assume it was nike/adidas related transfer.

Way more too it than that. Look through the articles. You’ll find the answers online if you look hard enough.

Let’s just say…..Lavar Ball has some competition folks.

Not going to tell everyone the reason why this happened, but I know the reason and it’s very sad.

Imagine having to move from beautiful Napa, CA to the literal middle of nowhere Hurricane, UT.

What’s funny is next season, Prolific will beat that same Utah team by 20+, but the program wishes AJ all the best and hope he finds whatever he is looking for at Utah Prep.
Napa and Utah are pretty much the same to a 17 year old black kid. He couldn't care less about the wineries or tree lined streets.

Napa and Utah are pretty much the same to a 17 year old black kid. He couldn't care less about the wineries or tree lined streets.

While I semi agree, especially nowadays where kids are playing on their phone or computer for 50% of the day. I still think Napa is a lot closer to big cities (SF, Oakland, San Jose) than Hurricane, UT is. Closest cities to Hurricane are 2-3 hours away maybe longer.

Reactions: ankleassassin
While I semi agree, especially nowadays where kids are playing on their phone or computer for 50% of the day. I still think Napa is a lot closer to big cities (SF, Oakland, San Jose) than Hurricane, UT is. Closest cities to Hurricane are 2-3 hours away maybe longer.
Hurricane is desert not tree-lined streets in southern Utah near St George. It’s 2 hours to Las Vegas. Another top 10 prospect in the 2025 class — Isiah Harwell — plays for Utah Prep.

Exactly, everything the kid does is my dad. My father. My dad. My dad. Look I’m glad the dad is in his life, and outside of basketball, he’s a nice and good dude. But he’s got way too much control of his 17 going on 18 yr old sons life, and if he doesn’t change that, it’s going to affect his future draft prospects.

AJ is essentially a lock for a top 10 pick in the 2026 nba draft, and right now would either go 1 or 2 along with Cameron Boozer.

Like a previous poster said, winters in Hurricane, UT or winters in Napa, CA…..any human being with half a brain knows what the right choice is, unless your an Eskimo!

Hurricane is desert not tree-lined streets in southern Utah near St George. It’s 2 hours to Las Vegas. Another top 10 prospect in the 2025 class — Isiah Harwell — plays for Utah Prep.

Not too be the one to nit pick. But Harwell plays for Wasatch, which is another basketball prep school that I know many on this board are familiar with.

AJ is going to Utah Prep, formerly RSL Prep and will be playing with the flyin Hawaiian JJ Mandaquit.

Exactly, everything the kid does is my dad. My father. My dad. My dad. Look I’m glad the dad is in his life, and outside of basketball, he’s a nice and good dude. But he’s got way too much control of his 17 going on 18 yr old sons life, and if he doesn’t change that, it’s going to affect his future draft prospects.

AJ is essentially a lock for a top 10 pick in the 2026 nba draft, and right now would either go 1 or 2 along with Cameron Boozer.

Like a previous poster said, winters in Hurricane, UT or winters in Napa, CA…..any human being with half a brain knows what the right choice is, unless your an Eskimo!
According to Twitter everyone is fleeing California for Utah anyway.
Also as a 17 year old everything should be your dad. Dad's aren't around in black kids lives they catch hell.
Dad's are in complete control they catch hell.

Not too be the one to nit pick. But Harwell plays for Wasatch, which is another basketball prep school that I know many on this board are familiar with.

AJ is going to Utah Prep, formerly RSL Prep and will be playing with the flyin Hawaiian JJ Mandaquit.
You’re correct, my bad, I got the two programs mixed up

Reactions: ayalar09

Average daytime high in December. Hurricane 53 Napa 57, almost no difference and Hurricane/st george has less rainfall, rarely snows, and more sunshine.

and, almost nothing for a young person to do... which, if he's that sort (I have no idea, not accusing here), gives more free time to get into trouble when not working on their game.

Reactions: ayalar09
According to Twitter everyone is fleeing California for Utah anyway.
Also as a 17 year old everything should be your dad. Dad's aren't around in black kids lives they catch hell.
Dad's are in complete control they catch hell.
Good for the AJ and his family. My Dad, my dad made him into #1 player in the country. He should listen to Dad 100%.

Reactions: ankleassassin
and, almost nothing for a young person to do... which, if he's that sort (I have no idea, not accusing here), gives more free time to get into trouble when not working on their game.

One thing I will give Utah, is it will be harder for him to get in trouble there. Utah is one of the strictest states when it comes to those things.

But I agree, I think they’ll realize pretty quickly that they are essentially leaving paradise for the boonies.

Good for the AJ and his family. My Dad, my dad made him into #1 player in the country. He should listen to Dad 100%.

Did the dad lace up the sneakers? Sacrifice hours of his time to become a better player?

I’m all for parents helping kids, heck I’ve never met my dad before. It sucks.

I’m not saying he didn’t contribute at all to AJ being a very good basketball player, quite the opposite. He def had contributions. Def. Should be involved.

But to control his decisions, I think stunts his growth in other areas. He’s almost 18. At some point he has to make these decisions and choices on his own.

Did the dad lace up the sneakers? Sacrifice hours of his time to become a better player?

I’m all for parents helping kids, heck I’ve never met my dad before. It sucks.

I’m not saying he didn’t contribute at all to AJ being a very good basketball player, quite the opposite. He def had contributions. Def. Should be involved.

But to control his decisions, I think stunts his growth in other areas. He’s almost 18. At some point he has to make these decisions and choices on his own.
Never met your dad... that's unfortunate but I get your clear misconception of how a father is supposed to be involved. It makes sense.

Reactions: TC112
that man wasting BYU time. aint no way.

Money talks….could possibly blow him away with a huge NIL deal, but right now I’d guess Bama is the leader in the clubhouse……

Btw you think BYU is wasting their time….why is Arizona Christian on his list?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT