ADVERTISEMENT

All credit to the WCAL

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Five of the eight teams are still alive ... three in Division I, plus the No. 1 team in the nation.

Hard to argue that any league in California is better, and maybe in the country.

Congrats to all the coaches and players who made it happen, this year, and in the past ...

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Five of the eight teams are still alive ... three in Division I, plus the No. 1 team in the nation.

Hard to argue that any league in California is better, and maybe in the country.

Congrats to all the coaches and players who made it happen, this year, and in the past ...

Aren't there just six girls' programs in the WCAL? Notre Dame-Belmont dropped out two years ago. Sacred Heart Prep left many years ago.

A quick addendum: The West Bay Athletic League's upper division has three of its five members still alive in the playoffs as well. Pinewood (at one time No.4 in the nation), Notre Dame-Belmont and Woodside Priory are still involved. So, of the two top CCS private/parochial leagues (unique in NorCal by the way), eight of their 11 teams are heading for the semi-finals in their various divisions. Small wonder CCS public schools (all four 2018 entrants eliminated now) can only watch and wonder.

Additionally, after at least a decade (or more) of accomplishments, it would not be out of line to suggest politely that Miramonte is the best public school girls' basketball program in the Bay Area, if not all of NorCal. That may be a tad hyperbolic, but the numbers and records and players produced would seem to verify that thesis.

well, the tide's out at Berkeley, but it may return. or it may have just been Gene Nakamura and Cheryl Draper. a polite suggestion won't spare you resentment. if it does, I'll consider being polite. sorry Colonel--I mean gentlemanly. wait, time's up--possibly ladylike.

Last edited:
Nice to see that the WCAL All Star Teams are doing well. Great job of recruiting guys!! Keep up the good work .
Quarantine all of the talent in one small pool. What could possibly go wrong? Kids commuting from Soquel, Gilroy, Santa Cruz. Well done lads. Now lets exacerbate the problem and have them play for the only meaningful titles so you can play for your rec league banners.

Quarantine all of the talent in one small pool. What could possibly go wrong? Kids commuting from Soquel, Gilroy, Santa Cruz. Well done lads. Now lets exacerbate the problem and have them play for the only meaningful titles so you can play for your rec league banners.

Ouch. Double-ouch.

When I said this on the message board a few months ago everyone wanted to argue with me. I also stated that BOD and SHC should have been ranked higher over teams like bear creek, heritage and teams with single digit losses that haven’t played anyone. The WCAL is the top league and is competitive every night. This prepares those teams for the playoffs. The next round of division 1 will Be very interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT