ADVERTISEMENT

American wins key game over Mission San Jose in MVAL

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Friday Results:

American beat Mission San Jose 65-53: American took control with an 18-8 third quarter. Bay Area Preps HQ had a good look at the success of these two programs - https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01...-teams-have-risen-to-bay-areas-upper-echelon/

Logan beat Irvington 79-59: Logan trailed 16-10 after Q1 before scoring 23 points in each of the final three quarters, according to the MaxPreps score tracker

Newark Memorial beat Kennedy-Fremont 59-20: JR Samantha Armas and FR Jaydin Armas each had 10 points

Missing score for Moreau Catholic-Washington (Fremont)

Standings:

American 7-0 (17-1 overall)
Mission San Jose 6-1 (16-3 overall)
Newark Memorial 4-3 (12-7 overall)
Moreau Catholic 3-3 (11-7 overall)
James Logan 3-4 (7-11 overall)
Irvington 3-4 (11-8 overall)
Washington 1-5 (6-11 overall)
Kennedy 0-7 (4-15 overall)

Reactions: GBBall4L
American has a win over San Ramon Valley and could be an NCS Open team if they finish 25-1.

Five of the six teams seem set (O’Dowd, Miramonte, Salesian, St Joes, Cardinal Newman) but American is part of the group that will be involved for that sixth spot.

Good story about how the program has developed the past few years

Five of the six teams seem set (O’Dowd, Miramonte, Salesian, St Joes, Cardinal Newman) but American is part of the group that will be involved for that sixth spot.

Good story about how the program has developed the past few years

let’s say American does run the table at 24-1. Heritage finishes 22-4. I think you have to go to SOS which heritage clearly has. I would also hate to rob American of a potential section championship as this is their best season in school history

let’s say American does run the table at 24-1. Heritage finishes 22-4. I think you have to go to SOS which heritage clearly has. I would also hate to rob American of a potential section championship as this is their best season in school history

I don’t know if they would be getting robbed of a section championship. D1 is still going to have a lot of solid teams, and they might not even make it to the semis.

So right now Heritage is 40th in the state with an 18.6 SOS.

American is 43rd with 10.5.

Heritage has a solid schedule remaining, including SJND.

American has Monte Vista, MSJ and James Logan remaining, and two bad teams.

So of course we don't know the NCS formula, though all of that was supposed to be public thanks to Scorebook Live, but it's fair to say Heritage will have a higher SOS.

However, if Heritage loses to SJND, and one other time, American may be higher ranked (if American wins out) even with the lower SOS.

Should be an interesting discussion in the committee if all that happens ... or even if Heritage loses only to SJND.

I don’t know if they would be getting robbed of a section championship. D1 is still going to have a lot of solid teams, and they might not even make it to the semis.

Good point. I should have said getting robbed of the chance to win a section championship. American is good but. It on par with the top 3 teams. But that’s why they play the game!

I would Heritage in over American if the both win out, but there is a path for American to get in

Yes the open teams get automatic berth. Everyone else has to make it to the section finals to qualify. So if you American and Heritage would you rather have automatic qualifier for Norcals? Or chance at section BUT if you lose before finals your season is over?

****even with teams pulled out to the NCS Open...D1 is no joke...so there are definitely no guarantees if you dont go to the Open

Yes the open teams get automatic berth. Everyone else has to make it to the section finals to qualify. So if you American and Heritage would you rather have automatic qualifier for Norcals? Or chance at section BUT if you lose before finals your season is over?
There's an at large bid as well. Highest seed eliminated in Semis

Reactions: northbaybbguru
The interesting question is how NCS will order its list to NorCals.

One method:

Open teams are 1-6
D-1 champ: 7
D-2 champ: 8
D-3 champ:9
D-1 runner up, etc., with at-large being ahead of the runners-up.

Another:

Open 1-4:
D-1 champ:
Open 5-6
D-1 runner up
D-2 champ
D-2 runner up
D-3 champ
At-large
D-3 runner up

Or any number of variations. There is no longer a limit on how many teams from a section can go into the NorCal Open, but if the bracket is six, it's very simple: CCS Open 1 and 2, NCS Open 1 and 2, SJS D-1 and SJS D2.

If it goes to eight, though, then this order becomes more crucial in determining which team is at the bottom of the Open instead of the top of D-1. And the order also will have an impact on which divisions NorCal NCS teams are assigned to.

The interesting question is how NCS will order its list to NorCals.

One method:

Open teams are 1-6
D-1 champ: 7
D-2 champ: 8
D-3 champ:9
D-1 runner up, etc., with at-large being ahead of the runners-up.

Another:

Open 1-4:
D-1 champ:
Open 5-6
D-1 runner up
D-2 champ
D-2 runner up
D-3 champ
At-large
D-3 runner up

Or any number of variations. There is no longer a limit on how many teams from a section can go into the NorCal Open, but if the bracket is six, it's very simple: CCS Open 1 and 2, NCS Open 1 and 2, SJS D-1 and SJS D2.

If it goes to eight, though, then this order becomes more crucial in determining which team is at the bottom of the Open instead of the top of D-1. And the order also will have an impact on which divisions NorCal NCS teams are assigned to.

mai theoretically NCS or any section could send 6 teams to the open section? And imagine if CS is merged this year. What a mess

The reason for the removal of the section limit was the Southern Section and SoCal playoffs. By limiting the Open to four Southern Section teams, it meant some really good teams were dropping to D-1, and lesser teams were in the Open.

With Antelope losing to Cardinal Newman, though, maybe SJS only gets one?

Why is there a limit to the # of teams that could be in the NCS Open?
Can there not be 8 teams?
Odowd, Miramonte, St. Joe's, Salesian, Heritage, American, Cardinal Newman, San Ramon

Would be some good matchups and games with that 8.

Reactions: observer22
It was a very complicated process to get the Open passed, and the limiting factor is the number of NorCal slots open to NCS. If you guarantee every Open team a NorCal berth, those berths have to come from the existing limited supply. The final compromise was these guaranteed spots:

Open -- 6
D-1 -- 2
D-2 -- 2
D-3 -- 2
D-4 -- 4
D-5 -- 4
D-6 -- 4
At-large -- 1 (presumably going to Divisions 1 through 3)

No Open team can come from D-4 through D-6, so the six Open slots are from D-1 through D-3. With the at-large, D-1 through D-3 get 13 berths; D-4-D-6 get 12,

Reactions: observer22
I'm sure American would be honored to be an Open division team but I doubt that's what they want. Truth is outside of the top 5 locks and Heritage there are no other open caliber teams. (my opinion)

This is a special season for them and the chance to compete for a section title is most likley a big deal to the program. Throwing them in open to get mauled by a big time program in the 1st round wouldn't be right. These special teams don't come around every year for teams like that. Hope the committee does it right and has them as a 1 or 2 seed in D1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT