ADVERTISEMENT

Anouncing The 68th Annual Gridley Invitational

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
I am pleased to announce the lineup for the 68th annual Gridley Invitational.

Here is some history of the GIBT.

In 1953 John Valentino, teacher and coach at Gridley High school, put into action his idea of school activity. It would involve many people from differing social, geographical and economical segments of Northern California. He organized and directed the first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament.
From the onset, the 3- day GIBT has had the reputation as a tournament that extends invitations to top California basketball teams.

Valentino’s plan was an annual event that brought people together --- visiting players living with Gridley families, allowing social barriers to dissolve as people of different races, religions and lifestyles became directly associated with one another on a daily basis. Remember: This was 1953!
This pattern for cooperative behavior continues to work in the absence of Valentino who passed away early in 1984.

From 1953 through 1977 , the GIBT was a post – season tournament. It was a popular alternative to the Tournament of Champions ( TOC ) , which was held each year at the end of the basketball season.

In fact the GIBT was so popular, that some teams that had earned the privilege of participating in the TOC , chose to play in the GIBT instead.
This caused the CIF officials to make the decision to have only one post season tournament to determine the ultimate champion. This change occurred in 1978, the only year there was not a GIBT.

Gridley High School resumed the GIBT as a pre-season tournament in 1979, and it has continued to be one of the most prestigious varsity basketball tournaments for high school boys in Northern California.
Throughout the history of the GIBT , local families have opened their homes each year to house the visiting teams. The friendships that have developed through these arrangements have been many, and long-lasting.

We welcome back:

Dublin - They lose a couple of starters but bring back most of their scoring power, including Courtney Anderson who threatened the all time high scoring total for Gridley.

Salesian- Hoping to rebound from a hit and miss year, they want to right the ship and show off their young talent.

Branson – Not much needs to be said about them, except they are ready to play with the big boys. Always a tough out.

Archbishop Riordan – They made a nice run last year and we expect them to continue loading up their program.

Clovis North – They bring back 4 starters from a State Championship run. Expect big things from them.

Oakland Tech –It has been 15 years since we last had a team from the OAL come to Gridley. They are guard oriented, and bring back almost all of their scoring power from last year.

Campolindo – They lose all everything guard Aidan Mahaney but return strong seniors, and a loaded JV class to bulk up the roster.

Last but not least we have Gridley. As always they will have their hands full. After the Tournament it should all be downhill sailing.

Here is the lineup for Thursday. December 8th.

4:00- Dublin – Clovis North

5:30 – Salesian – Oakland Tech

7:00- Gridley – Archbishop Riordan.

8:30- Campolindo - Branson

Some things to note:

After keeping the admission fee the same price for the last 30 years, the 3 day pass will be raised to 25 dollars. Daily entrance will be 10 dollars.

The guest speaker this year will be Hall of Fame coach Steve Cocciminglio, from Diablo Valley College. A 600 win Coach.

Norcalsports TV will be streaming. Along with Dublin High School

You can go to Gridleyinvitational.org for updates.

What more can I say, good folks, good vibes, Great Hoops !!!

If I had to make a bet on it, I'd go with Riordan at this point...

But... GO COUGS!

Looking forward to it!

BTW, I have known Steve Coccimiglio since we were maybe 10 or 12... My mom used to sell Avon to HIS mom!

p.s. I have already managed to see five of these eight teams in-person already... Not bad, huh?

p.p.s. Just watched Salesian on YouTube... They came closer to beating NV power Coronado than Modesto Christian did... That makes a statement...

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
Campo over Branson 62-57
Clovis North over Dublin 63-61
Salesian over Oakland Tech 63-55
Riordan over Gridley 75-43

Campo over Branson 62-57
Clovis North over Dublin 63-61
Salesian over Oakland Tech 63-55
Riordan over Gridley 75-43
Semifinals Friday Night
Clovis North vs Salesian - 7pm
Campolindo vs Riordan - 8:30pm

Consolation Bracket
Oakland Tech vs Dublin - 4pm
Branson vs Gridley - 5:30pm

Still early in the season, but what a job Steven Dyer has done at Campolindo. Cupboard wasn't completely bare, but they are off to a good start

Campo vs Riordan a rematch of last year's NorCal Open Semifinal. Should be a good one!
Can Clovis North continue its string of wins vs the top Bay Area teams?

Campo vs Riordan a rematch of last year's NorCal Open Semifinal. Should be a good one!
If Riordan cannot exact revenge vs Campo with far more cohesive talent this year.... *throw hands up/shrugging shoulders emoji"

I love how Clovis North plays. You look at them in warmups and they usually don’t have a guy over 6”4 but play so damn hard.

Reactions: dcfan
Yup, Clovis North was great last night, exciting team! And this without Connor Amundsen…

And…. Hey! We have internet in Gridley today!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT