ADVERTISEMENT

Any Central California Athletic League Predictions?

MTsince2004

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 14, 2010
Does anyone with insight into the football dynamics of the (209) have an educated opinion on how the CCAL will play out?

Calpreps has the early rankings like this. I'm just curious as to whether it will finish this way:

Turlock 24.5
Downey 22.3
Gregori 4.5

Enochs -7.3
Modesto
Pitman -9.9

Does anyone with insight into the football dynamics of the (209) have an educated opinion on how the CCAL will play out?

Calpreps has the early rankings like this. I'm just curious as to whether it will finish this way:

Turlock 24.5
Downey 22.3
Gregori 4.5
Enochs -7.3
Modesto
Pitman
I’ve seen Downey play and they are a well oiled machine. Very efficient on offense with several weapons. Defensively they pursue well. They should handle Turlock by 2 TD’s. The bottom 3 look more like JV teams. Gregory will get blown out by the top dogs and blow out the bottom 3.

Reactions: MTsince2004
Wasn’t Pitman decent last year ? And now they go to being the cellar dwellar? Was hoping MC would be tested by them this year

Downey is well coached and has a good system, but I don't think it carries them to make postseason noise.

I saw Turlock play the opener against Freedom. I like them this year. Solid QB play and good overall physical play that has led to a good running game. To me, they are the class of the league.

I live smack dab in the middle of this league and actually have a cheerleader at one of these schools.

I’m with streak on this, yea Downey may have a well oiled offense but it’s their defense that will be their downfall. Giving up 35 a game to who they’ve played is concerning. I see them as a 1 and done come playoffs.

Turlock will control this league. Their offense is balanced with strong line play. I see like a 42-27 Turlock victory over Downey. Likely 8-2 record with a first round home playoff game. They will go no further than the second round.

Gregori has athletes and will smoke the bottom 3, keep it close with Downey and get worn down by Turlock. Most likely a lower playoff seed matched with a Sac area school in first round to end their season.

As for Pitman, new coach, new system, tough preseason schedule. Sorry MC415, no real test for MC, the most your Wildcats will get from this game is a nice little road trip to the valley. No fault to MC but it looks like your schedule went down the drain with El Cerrito, Antioch and Pitman all having down years.

I live smack dab in the middle of this league and actually have a cheerleader at one of these schools.

I’m with streak on this, yea Downey may have a well oiled offense but it’s their defense that will be their downfall. Giving up 35 a game to who they’ve played is concerning. I see them as a 1 and done come playoffs.

Turlock will control this league. Their offense is balanced with strong line play. I see like a 42-27 Turlock victory over Downey. Likely 8-2 record with a first round home playoff game. They will go no further than the second round.

Gregori has athletes and will smoke the bottom 3, keep it close with Downey and get worn down by Turlock. Most likely a lower playoff seed matched with a Sac area school in first round to end their season.

As for Pitman, new coach, new system, tough preseason schedule. Sorry MC415, no real test for MC, the most your Wildcats will get from this game is a nice little road trip to the valley. No fault to MC but it looks like your schedule went down the drain with El Cerrito, Antioch and Pitman all having down years.

Why do you think Turlock hasn't been able to get over the hump in the playoffs in recent years?

Thanks for all of the input. This part of the SJS doesn't always get a lot of discussion.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results if the Sheldon-Turlock match up this week. It will provide a good barometer for Turlock in relation to many of the Elk Grove area schools.

Why do you think Turlock hasn't been able to get over the hump in the playoffs in recent years?

This is a question I've had for many years. Turlock has quality coaches, an excellent youth feeder program, so whats the reason? From what I've seen and people I've talked to, the lack of athletes/speed holds them back. It's a problem the southern half of the section has had for many years. From a D1 standpoint, the last few schools (other than St. Mary's) had the speed to compete with the top Sac area schools.

Thanks for all of the input. This part of the SJS doesn't always get a lot of discussion.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results if the Sheldon-Turlock match up this week. It will provide a good barometer for Turlock in relation to many of the Elk Grove area schools.

Well by the looks of this past weekends games, the CCAL will not pose any threat to any of the Sac area elite or even good teams. Turlock's 14-6 win over Sheldon, which looks like a middle of the pack Delta League school, the Bulldogs won't last too long come post season. Downey got absolutely man handled by a quality D5 Escalon squad. By the looks, it was obvious Downey had never seen a wing-t offense before with Escalon rushing for close to 500 yards. And then there is Gregori, which lost to an 0-3 McNair team.

Its not so much a lack of speed problem, its that most the speed go to one of the two major parochial's. The speed that stays at the local public school, tend to not qualify for the playoffs. I have not seen Edison play yet, but they don't sound to have a lack of speed problem, and it sounds like Edison has things going the right way.

Mistark: Edison has size and plenty of speed.. Raleek Brown.. dynamic and only a soph! Creates match up problems when they put him in the slot. As a senior.. he'll be scary good. Their defense is pretty solid too.. Buhach wore their D down in the 4th qtr. I see Edison finishing at 9-1.

CCAL.. Turlock is the class of the league... solid balance offensively. Their OL / DL is big and physical .. I know they squeaked by Sheldon and lost to CV.. they have Central section and state power Central (Fresno) coming in this Friday.. they don't have the speed and overall athleticism to run with the Grizzlies.. but maybe their OL/DL can create problems and mismatches and slow the game down. I think Turlock loses by 21+ if they allow Central to hit big plays on em. Turlock will then breeze through league.. 8-2 finish. Turlock is more brute strength type of football without much of any elite speed and that is what has kept them from getting over the hump in my opinion. They have had athletes, but elite speed not so much

Downey can put up points and run with pretty much anyone for the most part ... but defensively they leave more to be desired. They have to win in high scoring affairs. Escalon exploited and exposed them... they had no clue on how to defend Eski's vaunted Wing T. Eski staff outcoached the Knights. Turlock vs Downey will be for the league title..

Gregori is 3rd best in the league. Pitman has almost flatlined.. couldn't schedule lesser opponents due to recent success and had to settle for a tough non league slate (from what reliable insider said) looking at a 3-7 season at best.

Reactions: pantera-cat
How far apart are Gregori and Enochs? Their scores against common opponents (always a little suspect as an indicator), seem to suggest that the game would be a toss up. Maybe even slightly in Enochs' favor.

(W) Gregori 19 vs Beyer 8
(W) Enochs 28 vs Beyer 6

(L) Gregori 21 vs McNair 26
(W) Enochs 28 vs McNair 21

How far apart are Gregori and Enochs? Their scores against common opponents (always a little suspect as an indicator), seem to suggest that the game would be a toss up. Maybe even slightly in Enochs' favor.

(W) Gregori 19 vs Beyer 8
(W) Enochs 28 vs Beyer 6

(L) Gregori 21 vs McNair 26
(W) Enochs 28 vs McNair 21

If you asked me last week, I'd say Gregori would win by like a 28-14 type score. But with the McNair loss and even an Enochs loss to Central Valley, who knows. Like you say, its probably a toss up.

If you asked me last week, I'd say Gregori would win by like a 28-14 type score. But with the McNair loss and even an Enochs loss to Central Valley, who knows. Like you say, its probably a toss up.
In the end, it might not matter, as far as the playoffs go. Unless one of them goes on a tear stringing together some wins and pulls an upset or two along the way, it probably won't be enough to climb into the top 12 in D1. It's not impossible, but it is an uphill climb.

Looks like D-2 will be a buzzsaw this year again... D-1 looks like Folsom's to lose.. no team in The Stanislaus district will beat Folsom.. Turlock is a 2nd rd - 3rd rd run at best.. depending on who they play. D-2... is normally stomping grounds for Central Catholic but heck it looks like they could possibly go 0-5 to open this season and may even miss the playoffs as the VOL still has Sierra 4-0, Manteca 3-1, Oakdale 2-2 and even upstart East Union at 3-1. 6 wins could be hard to come by. The injury bug and already low numbers along with a major non league slate has crippled their playoff shot.

Ps: Gregori is probably better than Enochs.. even though Gregori stubbed its toe vs McNair. I think they're more athletic and have played a tougher non league scheddy this far.

Reactions: MTsince2004
Central (Fresno) throttled Turlock 41-13...
Turlock's defense had maybe 7 sacks on Central's QB.. but they still gave up many big plays...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT