ADVERTISEMENT

Bellarmine beats Serra on a buzzer beater

I might as well actually describe the game a little... Obviously, nobody was hitting any shots as the score would indicate, but despite that the game was well-played overall. Serra was leading by 4 (I think) at the half, something like 20-16. They drew a little further away in the 3rd, leading by as much as 10, I think... Bellarmine's three-quarter-court trapping press was unable to cause many turnovers at all...

Finally, the Bells hit a 3-pointer (possibly their first of the evening) with 1:40 to go, pulling within 5. That was when they cranked that press up to a very active full-court... They caused two very quick turnovers that led to a pair of layups, the last being an "and-1" which knotted the score at 34 with about a minute to go.

Serra came down and tried to get a shot up to no avail, turning it over with about 30 seconds left. The Bells brought it down and tried to get something going on offense, but Serra fought hard... Finally, the ball went outside to #5 Angelo Athens with maybe 4 seconds left. Two Serra guys closed on him... Quick behind the back dribble to try and get free, no dice. Behind the back the other way, no dice... A second to go, fall backwards and fire a wild shot... Buzzer.. Backboard... The BANK IS OPEN! Athens is mobbed by entire Bells team...

I guess that kinda tells why I like HS hoops, huh? :)

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT