ADVERTISEMENT

Bells' troubles persist

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
It seems almost inconceivable that Bellarmine's storied football program could sink to such depths. But the 2023 numbers don't lie. With one more WCAL date (vs. St. Francis) on the schedule this week, the Bells' three levels (varsity, JV and frosh) are a combined 6-17-1 (3-12 in the WCAL). All three teams are currently sitting in next to last place in league play. In the memories of those who have followed Bellarmine since the mid-1950s, this performance is both shocking and worrisome at a venerable Jesuit institution with nearly 1,700 students, all male. Can this state of affairs be turned around? Sure. But it will take focus, work and a firm commitment from the school's governing body and administration. Without much doubt, the legion of Bellarmine alumni will have something to say as well.

Last edited:
Unlike Serra, St. Francis, Mitty, Valley Christian, Si and even Riordan IN comparison the cultural mix of the school has changed at Bellarmine, I am not excluding SHC. I am just not sure what their blend has become since they have historically Piegan Holed themselves, to focus on certain communities vs. culture.

But @colhenrylives if you looked (resident board-Jimmy Olsen[researcher]). You might find social & economic changes in each program represent their athletic success, IN meaning, “it is NOT the school administration but school admissions; that has changed”

It seems almost inconceivable that Bellarmine's storied football program could sink to such depths. But the 2023 numbers don't lie. With one more WCAL date (vs. St. Francis) on the schedule this week, the Bells' three levels (varsity, JV and frosh) are a combined 6-17-1 (3-12 in the WCAL). All three teams are currently sitting in next to last place in league play. In the memories of those who have followed Bellarmine since the mid-1950s, this performance is both shocking and worrisome at a venerable Jesuit institution with nearly 1,700 students, all male. Can this state of affairs be turned around? Sure. But it will take focus, work and a firm commitment from the school's governing body and administration. Without much doubt, the legion of Bellarmine alumni will have something to say as well.
The drop back this year has suprised me somewhat. They fell off during the last few years under Janda, but seemed to be steadily building back under the previous staff and had what I thought was a good foundation. But this year has been a big step back (maybe talent dropped off too), but I'm surprised they weren't able to hold onto some of the momentum

I have also been somewhat surprised as the Bells Program was on the rise under the previous coaching regime.and appeared this would continue with Coach Diaz-Infante. Having Bellarmine (and all the programs) competitive is always a good thing for the league.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's worth noting Bellarmine has less Pacific Islander representation in its program than anyone else in the WCAL, save for maybe Mitty.

It's not the be-all and end-all, but it's worth noting Bellarmine has less Pacific Islander representation in its program than anyone else in the WCAL, save for maybe Mitty.
Bellarmine does have Pacific Islanders on their coaching staff.

That didn't seem to matter in years past. I feel like their administration, unlike Serra's or Riordan's, might be less keen on leaning into the realm of transfers and keeping up with the elevated costs and marketing efforts that come with attracting top talent in this new world of prep football.

Also—not implying that their administration is right or wrong on the matter.

Reactions: colhenrylives
The demand to gain admission to Bellarmine, a school with a rich academic tradition that stretches back more than 150 years, remains very high. The school's waiting list is quite long. And, yes, the demographics of Silicon Valley have indeed changed, with many more Indian, Asian and Hispanic/Latino families. Bellarmine, truth be told, doesn't need a powerhouse football program to bolster enrollment. Some of the other WCAL schools have decided they do. Serra may be the best ongoing example. Roughly 25 percent of its student body plays football. Which means, the upbeat, articulate Coach Walsh may be the school's No.1 marketing resource. The football program provides a huge boost to the school's image along the Peninsula and elsewhere. When Walsh finally leaves Serra, the question becomes: Who takes over and can he match the Walsh mystique? By the way, it may not mean all that much but a 1960 Serra grad recently donated $6.5 million to the school for some new construction. He played football at Serra. HIs 1959 team went 5-4 and lost to Bellarmine by a TD. Times have changed.

Reactions: bronzeage
Maybe there is a more compelling attraction to Bellarmine than playing football? Like excelling in the classroom at an outstanding college prep school in the middle of Silicon Valley. It is high school after all and you go to high school to get educated primarily, not just throwing, catching, shooting a ball.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Maybe there is a more compelling attraction to Bellarmine than playing football? Like excelling in the classroom at an outstanding college prep school in the middle of Silicon Valley. It is high school after all and you go to high school to get educated primarily, not just throwing, catching, shooting a ball.
I agree with @colhenrylives, but how did that go for SI in the 90’s and early 00’s and now look on at their admissions and collective sports direction (I don’t think any WCAL has the development of implementation Of A phenomenal sports complex as SI)

That is the difference,… time and the measurements of Athletic success don’t provide decades of decay buffers anymore. It is seen immediately

I agree with @colhenrylives, but how did that go for SI in the 90’s and early 00’s and now look on at their admissions and collective sports direction (I don’t think any WCAL has the development of implementation Of A phenomenal sports complex as SI)

That is the difference,… time and the measurements of Athletic success don’t provide decades of decay buffers anymore. It is seen immediately
What?

said no baller or their family ever

The drop back this year has suprised me somewhat. They fell off during the last few years under Janda, but seemed to be steadily building back under the previous staff and had what I thought was a good foundation. But this year has been a big step back (maybe talent dropped off too), but I'm surprised they weren't able to hold onto some of the momentum
Is/was Janda the previous DC from the time when the Bells were going to state bowl games? I ask because I'm not all that familiar as some on this board.

Is/was Janda the previous DC from the time when the Bells were going to state bowl games? I ask because I'm not all that familiar as some on this board.
Janda was the long time (36 years) Head Coach for the Bells and I think he also served as their OC, QB coach and WR & LB coach before that. So he was a very well-rounded coach. He retired after the 2019 season.

Last edited:
Janda was the long time (36 years) Head Coach for the Bells and I think he also served as their OC, QB coach and WR & LB coach before that. So he was a very well-rounded coach. He retired after the 2019 season.
Janda was the head coach of the Frosh team prior to taking Varsity job.

Reactions: FBAddict
Janda was a Real teacher not just a football coach. Not many coaches these days teach AP Chemistry
this reminds me of what a teacher said...
he asked the students who was the smartest person on campus and they all named off chemistry or math teachers
he says... nope, its me.. i get paid the same as them and all i do is count push ups or read a stop watch in pe class.

Janda was a Real teacher not just a football coach. Not many coaches these days teach AP Chemistry
When I used to call Mike at Bellarmine, the operator must not have been looking at his schedule becuase I interrupted two lessons he was teaching. He was very nice about it, but I still felt like a jerk

Reactions: FBAddict
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT