ADVERTISEMENT

Best long-gone grid program

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Let's hear it for forgotten Polytechnic in San Francisco. The Parrots were truly dominant in the Bay Area's post-World War II era. The school produced some big-time talent, not the least of whom were Gary Lewis, George Seifert and Bob St. Clair, all eventual 49ers back in the day. Poly's teams were very physical, deep and well-coached by Milt Axt and his staff. Prep football was huge in SF before most of us were born. And Poly was right in the middle of the football frenzy. In 1928, for instance, 50,000 people were in attendance for a Lowell-Poly game at Kezar. The Haight-Ashbury outfit, located right across the street from Kezar Stadium, was terrific in all sports, not just football. Poly has been closed for 43 years.

Last edited:
They were definitely the (90's) Bellarmine of their time with an enrollment of 3500. In addition to plenty of football titles, they won an SFAL league and an AAL section title in baseball in 1900. They even had a girls basketball team as early as 1905.

Sacred Heart pulled off one of the biggest football upsets against them in 1942 by scoring two early TD's and holding on for a 13-12 win.

Last edited:
Let's hear it for forgotten Polytechnic in San Francisco. The Parrots were truly dominant in the Bay Area's post-World War II era. The school produced some big-time talent, not the least of whom were Gary Lewis, George Seifert and Bob St. Clair, all eventual 49ers back in the day. Poly's teams were very physical, deep and well-coached by Milt Axt and his staff. Prep football was huge in SF before most of us were born. And Poly was right in the middle of the football frenzy. In 1928, for instance, 50,000 people were in attendance for a Lowell-Poly game at Kezar. The Haight-Ashbury outfit, located right across the street from Kezar Stadium, was terrific in all sports, not just football. Poly has been closed for 43 years.
Gotta be Cordova Senior of the 70's. The school still exists but boy those football teams.....

Mather Air Force Base closed, enrollment dropped

Only a portion of the decline. Folsom grew and the NEW high school was built. The base closed plus the district is open enrollment. Instead of everyone heading to Dova, they headed to the burbs...installing a solid program at the right time didn't hurt.

Lick was another early San Francisco power. They had some good teams during the 1920s. They were supposed to have played Sacred Heart for the SFAL title in 1925 but one SH player was ruled ineligible. The school tried to get him reinstated but it didn't happen. Therefore, the SFAL deemed the title to Lick. They even tried to get an exhibition game with Lick afterwards but that didn't work out either.

Yes. It was actually Lick before they merged with Wilmerding. They even played each other in the 1900's..

Last edited:
These schools are still standing but have not heard about them in awhile...Vintage-Napa, Merced, Grace Davis-Modesto, Tracy, Vallejo, Skyline-Oakland. Seaside and San Leandro. Oh also, Novato & Pinole Valley.

Last edited:
We can say that about a whole host of high school football programs which have fallen on hard times.

Schools that weren't necessarily stellar but that had teams before closing that come to mind are San Carlos, Crestmoor, Cubberley. Cubberley was actually pretty good. Awalt won the CCS title in 1974 before closing.

Harry Ells High School in richmond always produced great athletes in all sports. Has been gone a long time but my mother use to tell us stories about Harry Ells and Pittsburg fierce competition in the 50's and 60's.

Reactions: remc
Only a portion of the decline. Folsom grew and the NEW high school was built. The base closed plus the district is open enrollment. Instead of everyone heading to Dova, they headed to the burbs...installing a solid program at the right time didn't hurt.
What prompted the growth of Folsom so quickly?

The growth started far before this article. But since this has been released, I have seen an influx of people coming in. Granted this has been going on for the last 10 years or so, which explains the rise so quickly. Just a larger quantity of kids in the general area. I am glad my kids are older and missed all the crazy growth that has come so quick. I miss the small town vibe...

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-cities-for-families-in-california/15993/

These schools are still standing but have not heard about them in awhile...Vintage-Napa, Merced, Grace Davis-Modesto, Tracy, Vallejo, Skyline-Oakland. Seaside and San Leandro. Oh also, Novato & Pinole Valley.

Seaside was only recently a consistent power in their division in CCS. They had a an extremely good run from 2004-2012, but outside of that they were just a solid program in most years, never a powerhouse.

A better example in this area would be North Monterey County. They were very dominant in the 80s from what I hear, but demographic changes and a drop in enrollment have left them a shadow of their former selves.

Harry Ells High School in richmond always produced great athletes in all sports. Has been gone a long time but my mother use to tell us stories about Harry Ells and Pittsburg fierce competition in the 50's and 60's.
Yes, Harry Ells, for sure. I grew up in Richmond and remember that school. Good High school football in Richmond then, with Ells, Kennedy, and Richmond High

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT