ADVERTISEMENT

Burfict

slick58

Hall of Famer
Jun 10, 2005
I'm torn on the play of Burfict yesterday. On one hand the defense plays way better with him in there. Burfict was a major reason Cincy was even in position to win. Had Hill not fumbled Burfict's pick would have basically sealed the game. Then in the final moments the hit on Brown. IMO he wasn't trying to hurt Brown but that's what ended up happening. We can all agree that we've seen Burfict hit people on purpose waaaaaayyyyy harder than that. That one was tough.

To me the only reason Burfict is in the league is his level of violence. He has never really been a great athlete at any level. The guy just brings it. Reminds me of Romanowski. It's just the thing that makes him good plays against him at times.

If you were a NFL owner, GM, whatever, would you have a guy that plays like he does on your team?

New I'm torn on the play of Burfict yesterday. On one hand the defense plays way better with him in there. Burfict was a major reason Cincy was even in position to win. Had Hill not fumbled Burfict's pick would have basically sealed the game. Then in the final moments the hit on Brown. IMO he wasn't trying to hurt Brown but that's what ended up happening. We can all agree that we've seen Burfict hit people on purpose waaaaaayyyyy harder than that. That one was tough.

To me the only reason Burfict is in the league is his level of violence. He has never really been a great athlete at any level. The guy just brings it. Reminds me of Romanowski. It's just the thing that makes him good plays against him at times.

If you were a NFL owner, GM, whatever, would you have a guy that plays like he does on your team?

A lot to answer here but here goes. 1. Hit was clearly dirty and avoidable. 2. Cincy only in game because of a quick whistle killing a play that was clearly a fumble. Taking 7 off board for Pitt. 3. On quick whistle play how are the Bengals and Burfict not flagged for being on field and start fights/altercations after play. 4. Officials failed miserable in this game to get control. 5. No I wouldn't want a guy like Burfict on my team, it's why he went undrafted and why the Bengals will be home next week.(same goes for packman) 6. Marvin Lewis needs to go. Simple fact is zero playoff wins and he clearly doesn't have control over his team/players. If his players respected his authority none of this would have happened. But they don't and it did.

A lot to answer here but here goes. 1. Hit was clearly dirty and avoidable. 2. Cincy only in game because of a quick whistle killing a play that was clearly a fumble. Taking 7 off board for Pitt. 3. On quick whistle play how are the Bengals and Burfict not flagged for being on field and start fights/altercations after play. 4. Officials failed miserable in this game to get control. 5. No I wouldn't want a guy like Burfict on my team, it's why he went undrafted and why the Bengals will be home next week.(same goes for packman) 6. Marvin Lewis needs to go. Simple fact is zero playoff wins and he clearly doesn't have control over his team/players. If his players respected his authority none of this would have happened. But they don't and it did.

I thought the hit was avoidable. It would have been hard to stop his momentum but lowering the shoulder did him in. I agree that the officials didn't control the game well. The Pac Man thing is tough. If I were an official no way I call that. Porter had no business being 10 yards on the field doing what he does. I like Lewis as a coach. Being a consistent winner in the NFL is hard to do. I like Dallas and loved Wade even though we never got to the Super Bowl with him. Dallas fans were crying for Wade to be fired and now we have JG and have never came close to the success we had under Phillips. I think Dalton is a big factor in the zero playoff wins also. I have to go look at his playoff numbers. I think Burfict was out or hurt for last seasons playoffs also and he's a big part of the D. Just like Romanowski I'd have a guy like Burfict on my team at the pro level. No way at the lower levels.

Edit, I'm lying. I'd take those guys at any level.

To me Hill lost that game. A first down or field goal and it should have been over. Everything that happened after that was icing on the cake. A perfect storm. Pittsburgh doesn't actually play nice either.

End of the day Burfict cost his team. Lewis cost his team by not having the stones to sit him when he was clearly out of control. And yes it's time for Lewis to go. Zero playoff wins in 13 seasons at this level is unheard of. A melt down and loss of control like we saw last night in unseen at any level. Being a Steeler fan I pray they retain him but if I owned that team after that game and how it unfolded. He would be gone. Remember his teams and players have had questionable character ever since he got there, from Burfict, to TJ and the towel incident, C Johnson antics, etc, it why Palmer wanted out remember,........guy has never been a coach that seems to have control.

If this was a one time occurrence you could (maybe) claim Burfict was not attempting injury. Based on his play over the years, he lost the benefit of the doubt a LONG time ago.

It is odd that he continues to show a lack of discipline and makes dumb plays that often severely hurt if not cripple (yesterdays game) his team. Obviously coaches have been unable (or unwilling) to control him. i would like to know why he has not been part of a team that has player leaders who hold him accountable. His antics would not be tolerated in NE. He is just a punk. Very talented, but a punk.

Reactions: concrete17
End of the day Burfict cost his team. Lewis cost his team by not having the stones to sit him when he was clearly out of control. And yes it's time for Lewis to go. Zero playoff wins in 13 seasons at this level is unheard of. A melt down and loss of control like we saw last night in unseen at any level. Being a Steeler fan I pray they retain him but if I owned that team after that game and how it unfolded. He would be gone. Remember his teams and players have had questionable character ever since he got there, from Burfict, to TJ and the towel incident, C Johnson antics, etc, it why Palmer wanted out remember,........guy has never been a coach that seems to have control.

Romo and Witten wanted TO gone and that was the player who would have put them over the top. The next year Patrick Crayton was the 2 and Austin was the 1. Witten had a good year but throw in TO's potential production and that would have put Dallas over the top. Sometimes people who are good at their job have weird attitudes or go about things their way. In a perfect world you can just replace them but at the highest levels of anything talent gets thin and you have to work with what you got.

His antics would not be tolerated in NE. He is just a punk. Very talented, but a punk.

If my memory serves me right, New England had a legit mass murderer on their squad. People in the know say its a known fact that he was a legit active gangster before entering the NFL. There are people who "act" like thugs and then there are the real deal small percentage like Hernandez.

If my memory serves me right, New England had a legit mass murderer on their squad. People in the know say its a known fact that he was a legit active gangster before entering the NFL. There are people who "act" like thugs and then there are the real deal small percentage like Hernandez.

I think poster means his antics on the field not off.

Romo and Witten wanted TO gone and that was the player who would have put them over the top. The next year Patrick Crayton was the 2 and Austin was the 1. Witten had a good year but throw in TO's potential production and that would have put Dallas over the top. Sometimes people who are good at their job have weird attitudes or go about things their way. In a perfect world you can just replace them but at the highest levels of anything talent gets thin and you have to work with what you got.

Dumping T.O. Was with question the right call for Dallas. T.O. Was a nightmare who's talent never equaled the headache. Every team he was with he blew up, and the played with pro bowl QBs at every stop. Playing T.O. Stunted Romo's growth because he always had to look for T.O. What held those Dallas teams back was not being able or unwilling to run the ball.

Reactions: Bubba3000
If this was a one time occurrence you could (maybe) claim Burfict was not attempting injury. Based on his play over the years, he lost the benefit of the doubt a LONG time ago.

It is odd that he continues to show a lack of discipline and makes dumb plays that often severely hurt if not cripple (yesterdays game) his team. Obviously coaches have been unable (or unwilling) to control him. i would like to know why he has not been part of a team that has player leaders who hold him accountable. His antics would not be tolerated in NE. He is just a punk. Very talented, but a punk.

Burfict became Burfuct a long time ago.
My cousin directs free lance broadcast crews that set up and operate the behind the scenes equipment trailers you always see parked outside pro sports venues. Anyway, back in November he was directing a crew broadcasting a Bengals' home game for WLW-T in Cincinnati. During that game Burfuct ran into the end zone camera man in an avoidable collision. After that event my cousin has refused to work any more Bengals' games as long as Burfuct is on the roster.

Here is the link that shows the collision: http://www.wlwt.com/news/wlwt-cameraman-involved-in-offfield-collision-during-tnf-game/36299714
There are 2 video clips. Scan down the attached article to the 2nd video to see Vontaze's "collision".

For dessert check out the comments section......

Last edited:
Reactions: paul_johnson884

as mentioned above, Im talking about play on the field. NE has lots of player leaders and Burfict would either adapt and play team ball or would be an outcast and eventually be gone. Look how Moss toned down his diva act when he went to NE.

I think poster means his antics on the field not off.

We can agree to disagree but Hernandez seriously threatened Wes Welker his first few days on the team. If you're saying that didn't spill onto the field I'll give you that.

When questioned about being a dirty player Romanowski replied;

"When you're going 150 miles an hour on every play, for 60 minutes, 'Hey, did I cross the line?' Absolutely. I was a guy who never wanted to fall below the line."

I'm torn on the play of Burfict yesterday. On one hand the defense plays way better with him in there. Burfict was a major reason Cincy was even in position to win. Had Hill not fumbled Burfict's pick would have basically sealed the game. Then in the final moments the hit on Brown. IMO he wasn't trying to hurt Brown but that's what ended up happening. We can all agree that we've seen Burfict hit people on purpose waaaaaayyyyy harder than that. That one was tough.

First of all, you're 100% correct in regards to Cincy doesn't win if Burfict wasn't playing for them. Secondly, you are totally wrong in my opinion if you think Burfict didn't try to physically harm Brown. That hit was uncalled for because Brown didn't have the ball and it wasn't a bang, bang scenario (catch, hit). Burfict is just a dirty player. Romanowski is a perfect example of Burfict. Both players are two of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Go Seahawks!!! Beat the Panthers.

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree but Hernandez seriously threatened Wes Welker his first few days on the team. If you're saying that didn't spill onto the field I'll give you that.

Disagree all you want simple fact is that was a isolated incident that by all accounts never happened again. It also never happened on the field or cost his team. Your grasping here for something that's not there.

First of all, your 100% correct in regards to Cincy doesn't win if Burfict wasn't playing for them. Secondly, you are totally wrong in my opinion if you think Burfict didn't try to physically harm Brown. That hit was uncalled for because Brown didn't have the ball and it wasn't a bang, bang scenario (catch, hit). Burfict is just a dirty player. Romanowski is a perfect example of Burfict. Both players are two of the dirtiest players to ever play the game. Go Seahawks!!! Beat the Panthers.

Burfict represents what the NFL has tolerated for many years with many talented players. The more talent you have the more bad behavior will be tolerated. Sad but true fact.

New When questioned about being a dirty player Romanowski replied;

"When you're going 150 miles an hour on every play, for 60 minutes, 'Hey, did I cross the line?' Absolutely. I was a guy who never wanted to fall below the line."

Romanowski played in a different era under different rules. Really not fair to compare the two. I guarantee you this romanowski would kick burficts ass if he pulled that crap on a team he was on.

Burfict represents what the NFL has tolerated for many years with many talented players. The more talent you have the more bad behavior will be tolerated. Sad but true fact.

I think that holds true to society in general. If there was an endless supply of NFL players it wouldn't be tolerated but there's not.

I don't worship Romanowski by any stretch. Other posters brought him up as a comparison to Burfict.

I won't lie, I like Romanowski. Like to hear him on the radio. I enjoy his honesty and point of view. Loved to watch him play. Hated some of the things that he did things like spit in stokes face or tried to break Sharpes arm on purpose but he went in full speed all the time. When he broke Collins jaw was cold and he also ended a teammates career. With all that said dude was a 4 time champion.

I won't lie, I like Romanowski. Like to hear him on the radio. I enjoy his honesty and point of view. Loved to watch him play. Hated some of the things that he did things like spit in stokes face or tried to break Sharpes arm on purpose but he went in full speed all the time. When he broke Collins jaw was cold and he also ended a teammates career. With all that said dude was a 4 time champion.

I remember Romo being a step slow in his last game as a 49er in 1994 NFC championship game against the Cowboys. He then went on to play several more years at a much higher level. It was pretty obvious what was putting the pep in his step. I don't hate him but have a hard time respecting him.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
I don't worship Romanowski by any stretch. Other posters brought him up as a comparison to Burfict.
Dude both of these jerks are dirty players so they can be compared to each other as slick58 has correctly stated. The only difference is Romo actually spit in another players face. You can group Ndamukong Suh into that group as well. I'm a diehard SC fan but ex-Trojan Clay Matthews is not far behind these players with some of his dirty tactics lately. I couldn't agree more with Bubba in regards to Romo being a juicer of the highest order as well as other disturbing things that he was known for. Go Seahawks!!! Beat the Panthers.

Ndamukong Suh immediately comes to mind. Dude should have been suspended for an entire season by now. Smh. Go Seahawks!!! Beat the Panthers.

Reactions: Bubba3000
I'm going to go out on a limb and say burfict will be out of the league in a year or so. The NFL has too much attention these days and burfict represents a time that is outdated. He reminds me of a person who is just not quite their mentally.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say burfict will be out of the league in a year or so. The NFL has too much attention these days and burfict represents a time that is outdated. He reminds me of a person who is just not quite their mentally.

If Burfict gotta go then Suh gotta go, right...........? Probably neither happens.

Burfict's 2016 3 game suspension was upheld - will lose $502,941 of his 2016 base salary. Lotta dough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT