James Logan (NCS)
Ponderosa (sjs)
Oakmont (sjs)
De La Salle (NCS)
Franklin (sjs)

Originally posted by ncscalfootball:

This would be a nice dual meet!
What? Vacaville vs Gilroy?

Happened in January at DLS. Clovis, Vacaville, Gilroy, and DLS (defending champs of CS, SJS, CCS, and NCS and all 4 repeated) had a partial round-robin (Each wrestled 2 of the others). I know Vacaville won and think it was pretty convincingly.

Vacaville won very convincingly. I was referring to all the NorCal Top Ten Teams to Meet. I hope to see Gilroy & De La Salle enter into the Larry Nelson Classic. I love Clovis's schedule!

Gilroy will be better next season than they were this one. Lots returning and talent coming up.

Wow, Riordan was the best team out of the Bay Area at the CA State meet, after finishing 5th in WCAL? Pretty impressive!

Originally posted by cityfan:
Wow, Riordan was the best team out of the Bay Area at the CA State meet, after finishing 5th in WCAL? Pretty impressive!
Elijah Davis (2nd to another CCS kid) and Zac Contreras (4th) will pull a team up to 19th by themselves

After league, there is no "team" qualification, although at section level there's usually a couple or three programs that can qualify their whole team

At state, there's really only a couple or three teams that can qualify double digit wrestlers (of 14) and if you can get a couple of placers (even if that's all that qualified), you're in great shape for at least a top 20

DLS came in 4th in both '11 and '12 with something like 3-4 placers and 8-9 qualifiers each year, which was top finish in NorCal. Vacaville came in 3rd last year

No one in the state has been close to Clovis for a couple of years. They were #3 in country last year.

It's just good to read some good things about Riordan. Some of the WCAL posts dismissed their accomplishments. San Francisco now has had 7 State Placers in the last 41 years and 5
of them are Crusaders.

For three years in a row now the Crusaders have had two state qualifiers. The Varsity
finished 2nd in the WCAL Finals Tournament. The Freshman Team won their
the WCAL title by going undefeated in duals. Looking good for the future.

Originally posted by cityfan:
It's just good to read some good things about Riordan. Some of the WCAL posts dismissed their accomplishments. San Francisco now has had 7 State Placers in the last 41 years and 5
of them are Crusaders.

For three years in a row now the Crusaders have had two state qualifiers. The Varsity
finished 2nd in the WCAL Finals Tournament. The Freshman Team won their
the WCAL title by going undefeated in duals. Looking good for the future.
Riorden has certainly had some studs on the mat in the last few years

If they were part of the SFS, they would likely have placed even higher at state as the SFS (and OS) both get 1 auto-qualifier

I'm not going back and checking, but I wouldn't be shocked if those sections typically don't go something pretty close to 0-56 combined at the state meet, whjich is 14 wrestlers x 2 sections all going 0-2 in a double elimination tournament. Point being that I think Riorden could have qualified most of their team going thru the SFS (by winning it) vs needing to be in the top 3 of the CCS to qualify, with several other very good wrestling schools (i.e. Gilroy) to contend with.

The NCS got cut this year from 4 spots to 3 and I think the NCS 4th place finishers (or the CCS) could sweep the section champs from SFS and/ or OS in a lot of years

The coach at Riordan did a lot of good things despite there not being a lot of talented wrestlers in the city. He quit for a while because I heard he got sick or something and the team went to crap. He got back into it a few years ago and they finished top 10 in the CCS 3 years in a row. That's a real 1 division CCS with 80 plus schools too and not all watered down. I heard he's the Principal now and I hope he can get the other sports performing like his. There website doesn't say anything about a new coach. I wonder if he will do it while being the principal?

Gilroy will be #1 again in CCS. They got at least two nationally ranked wrestlers.

Palma that was #2 last year lost quite a few to graduation and 1 top wrestler #2 at his weight to the Goilroy wrestler transferred to Christopher. They should be decent though and probably an #2 in their league and will place at least a couple in state.

Bells have a couple kids that will be considered top underclassmen in the state and probably will put them in place to compete for #2 in CCS.

Haven't looked at the other teams, but Riordan should be good. WCAL will be competitive again.

NCS will be DLS and James Logan, but DLS may be the underdog this year

DLS has 5 NCS tourney and 7 NCS dual titles in a row, but Logan has 4 preseason #1s and DLS doesn't have any

Gilroy's Villareal v Davis - Riordan was one of the best matches I have ever seen. There is a youtube of it and just increadible match. Villareal just wills himself to win - incredible wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT