ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Poly Hires New Coach

The career for Baldwin is very interesting. Had it running really well at Eastern Washington. Takes a coordinator job in Pac-12 (with what I would assume is the hope he could get a HC job in Pac-12/MWC down the road).

Now he heads back to the Big Sky (conference has improved since he left), but at a program lower on the pecking order.

From what I have read, the fan base wasn't thrilled with him at Cal so is this a mutually beneficial move?

All the above speculation aside, this is a good hire for Cal Poly.

The career for Baldwin is very interesting. Had it running really well at Eastern Washington. Takes a coordinator job in Pac-12 (with what I would assume is the hope he could get a HC job in Pac-12/MWC down the road).

Now he heads back to the Big Sky (conference has improved since he left), but at a program lower on the pecking order.

From what I have read, the fan base wasn't thrilled with him at Cal so is this a mutually beneficial move?

All the above speculation aside, this is a good hire for Cal Poly.

Winning in the Pac12 and the Big Sky are both difficult propositions. Baldwin has a chance to turn things around as the head man at Cal Poly

Reactions: Paloma
Winning in the Pac12 and the Big Sky are both difficult propositions. Baldwin has a chance to turn things around as the head man at Cal Poly

Definitely agree. It is interesting to see how careers progress (coaching or any other profession)

What does that pay? 350k? Just curious how that compares to being on pAc12 level as OC. Then again he’s gone from high cost of living bay.

What does that pay? 350k? Just curious how that compares to being on pAc12 level as OC. Then again he’s gone from high cost of living bay.
San Luis Obispo isn't as expensive as the Bay Area, but it's much more expensive than Cheney, WA, or somewhere like Sacramento. Lifestyle-wise, SLO is top-tier. It might be worth a pay cut to swap living environments. As long as they are paying him enough to afford a comfortable existence, he will be A-Okay.

Reactions: coachlittle

My guess is around $300k with incentives. Walsh was making $250K and Hawkins base pay at UC Davis is $275k. I think as offensive coordinator at Cal he earned close to $500 or $600k but don't quote me on that.

I saw Coach Baldwin as the "heir" to Leach at WSU. Great hire by SLO. The man can coach and could have the same impact at SLO as Troy Taylor at Sacramento State.

My guess is around $300k with incentives. Walsh was making $250K and Hawkins base pay at UC Davis is $275k. I think as offensive coordinator at Cal he earned close to $500 or $600k but don't quote me on that.

yeah Cal was paying him a shit ton for terrible results, I just don’t know how he was so good at EWU with the offense I was forced to suffer thru at his time at Cal, was absolutely awful scheme he ran here

yeah Cal was paying him a shit ton for terrible results, I just don’t know how he was so good at EWU with the offense I was forced to suffer thru at his time at Cal, was absolutely awful scheme he ran here

Replacing a dinosaur like Walsh running the triple option sets the bar pretty low for Baldwin at Cal Poly

Reactions: MC415
The results seemed to be there when Garbers was healthy. Modster wasnt the answer at UCLA, I’m wondering why they thought he could be at Cal. Injuries expose QB depth.

The results seemed to be there when Garbers was healthy. Modster wasnt the answer at UCLA, I’m wondering why they thought he could be at Cal. Injuries expose QB depth.

Cal has always been a weak sister in the Pac12, I think too much blame is being placed on Baldwin

Not really at their best they have struggled all 3 years, scoring mid 20s against north Texas and Davis isn’t cutting it...... his scheme was so basic and easily defended he never adjusted his slow developing RPO, trust I haven’t missed a Cal game in 20 years this offense at peak Baldwin was unacceptable

Reactions: concrete17
Not really at their best they have struggled all 3 years, scoring mid 20s against north Texas and Davis isn’t cutting it...... his scheme was so basic and easily defended he never adjusted his slow developing RPO, trust I haven’t missed a Cal game in 20 years this offense at peak Baldwin was unacceptable

You would know better than me I'm more familiar with his work at EWU

After watching Cal bowl game I think having a defensive minded head coach was more of the problem. Reminded me of Mazi this year. Never seen him take so much time off between calling offensive plays than this year.

Garbers was out for a while, and Wilcox will tend to lean on his D unless he has an explosive offense with a veteran QB. Next year will be a better season for Cal on offense.

Garbers was out for a while, and Wilcox will tend to lean on his D unless he has an explosive offense with a veteran QB. Next year will be a better season for Cal on offense.

Yeah cal was 7-0 in games Garbers finished so he was definitely a factor they probably win 10 games this year if he was healthy the entire season (would have won that ASU game and Oregon state game )

100% true. My son is a junior there and my wife and I both agree that we will go back and vacation in the area even after he graduates. If it weren't so isolated, it would be a great area to retire to. Even so, it's tempting.

Agree 100% "MTsince2004" & anyone not checking out this university is missing the oat so to speak. Our youngest son graduated from CP and we spent many weekends there, The 2nd largest campus in CA only to Cal-Berkeley and one of the largest in the nation. Our son would have settled there he liked it so much, but being a college town there is limited work and pay [but still a great place to get a degree!].

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/...lo-coach-tim-walsh-as-its-new-football-coach/

Interesting development here.... Trinity League School Santa Margarita Just Hired Tim Walsh as their head Coach....

Will be really interesting to see how the Triple option will work in the Trinity League and how he will Attract Players in So Cal with that Offense...

I'm not so sure he will run the triple option there and if so, he's been talking out the side of his neck. He always claimed the reason he ran the TO at CP is because he couldn't recruit 6'5" 300 pound offensive linemen. At Santa Margarita there will be no shortage of size and talent.

Reactions: THEOC89
Walsh and his brother Jim (Seattle Seahawks) played at Serra. I believe Tim coached Barry Bonds in football when Bonds was a freshman. Many don't know Bonds played three years of FB at Serra.

Reactions: THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT