ADVERTISEMENT

California Rankings

Hell no. Mitty should be ranked higher! But hey norcal preps cahi are always wrong about team/player rankings. Especially norcal preps, my advice stop paying attention to that crap.

Well it isn't our ranking, but thanks for the insult on the way out lol

And yes, they should be ranked higher than #8 in the state.

We have them at #1 in NorCal this week

Would you say the rankings are accurate? Mitty ranked at #8 for example.

Here is my updated national poll which many California teams are considered.

List put together 1/4/19. It is subject to change as results from games are reported.
1/12/19 Updated. Clet up from 25. Pine down from 7. Mater Dei up from 16
Miity up from from 21.

1. Miami Country Day (FL.) 12-1 TOC Champs.
2. St. Johns Washington (DC.)13-1 only loss to MCD. Play #5 B.M. 1/22/19
3.Centennial (NV.) 10-1 Undefeated with starters Impressive @TOC
4.Windward (Ca.) 14-3 runner up at TOC. Tough and tested.
5.Bishop McNamara (MD.) 12-0 best wins New Hope & Hamilton Heights.
6.New Hope (MD.) 17-3 Strong showing at the TOC.
7.Regis Jesuit (CO.) 8-0 Can dunk on any team. Beat Grandview.
8.Mitty (Ca.)10-2 loss to Grandview and southriidge 2-2 TOC. 9.Hamilton Heights (TN.) 12-1 loss to Bishop McNamara.
10.Redondo Union (Ca.) 12-2 TOC level 2 champs.
11.Highlands Ranch( CO.) 9-1 only loss Redondo Union.
12.Mater Dei (Ca.) 18-2 Runner up 2nd level of TOC.
13.Carondelet (Ca.) 11-2 Beat Pine. won and loss to Salesian 3-1 2nd level @ TOC
14.Pinewood (Ca.) 11-1 CLet loss(7th fall) 2 good tournament wins with Etiwanda and I.W.
15.Etiwanda (Ca.) 11-2 loss to Sacramento beat Redondo Union and Mater Dei.
16.Roland Park (MD) 10-1 Xcellant 25's # 11.
17.Mansfield (TX) 24-1 Texas claims Texas is the best bball in the nation.:)
18.Incarnate Word (MO.) 12-1 only loss to #7 Pinewood..
19.Grandview (Co.) 7-3 Beat Mitty and Riverdale (MD) loss Centennial, CTK, #8 Regis.
20.Southridge (Or.) 10-3 played well at TOC beat Mitty.
21.Bradley Central (TN.) 14-2 Beat SMS loss to Highlands Ranch
22.Sierra Canyon (Ca.) 13- 0 test will be Windward 1/15.
23.Clovis West ( Ca.)14-2 Just something about the well coached teams. (Windward 1/21)
24.Salesian (Ca.)8-5 Beat # 4 Centennial ( much better than record)
25.Afrocentric (OH) 9-0 #3 Xcellant poll. (tie) Oak ridge (TN) 16-2 Won Mike @ TOC.
26. Edison (MI) 9-2 (# 6 on Xcellant 25 list).
27.Heritage (NC.) 11-0 (#22 on Xcellant 25 list).
28.CTK (NY.) 4-4 tie with SMS 11-4 (Ca.)Down year watch soon for healthier team.
29.Miramonte (Ca.) 16-2 Another well coached team that loves to over achieve.
30. Sacramento (Ca.) 8-6 Don't let the record fool ya they can ball.

Local Honorable mention: Folsom, McClatchy, Bear Creek, SJND, Antelope,Odowd, Cardinal Newman, Heritage, SHCP, Clovis North. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

Note: Any good and well coached team can beat any other team. So don't count out anyone on the list to include the honorable mentioned. I may edit the list slightly soon.

Last edited:
Here is my updated national poll which many California teams are considered.

List put together 1/4/19. It is subject to change as results from games are reported.
1/12/19 Updated. Clet up from 25. Pine down from 7. Mater Dei up from 16
Miity up from from 21.

1. Miami Country Day (FL.) 12-1 TOC Champs.
2. St. Johns Washington (DC.)13-1 only loss to MCD. Play #5 B.M. 1/22/19
3.Centennial (NV.) 10-1 Undefeated with starters Impressive @TOC
4.Windward (Ca.) 14-3 runner up at TOC. Tough and tested.
5.Bishop McNamara (MD.) 12-0 best wins New Hope & Hamilton Heights.
6.New Hope (MD.) 17-3 Strong showing at the TOC.
7.Regis Jesuit (CO.) 8-0 Can dunk on any team. Beat Grandview.
8.Mitty (Ca.)10-2 loss to Grandview and southriidge 2-2 TOC. 9.Hamilton Heights (TN.) 12-1 loss to Bishop McNamara.
10.Redondo Union (Ca.) 12-2 TOC level 2 champs.
11.Highlands Ranch( CO.) 9-1 only loss Redondo Union.
12.Mater Dei (Ca.) 18-2 Runner up 2nd level of TOC.
13.Carondelet (Ca.) 11-2 Beat Pine. won and loss to Salesian 3-1 2nd level @ TOC
14.Pinewood (Ca.) 11-1 CLet loss(7th fall) 2 good tournament wins with Etiwanda and I.W.
15.Etiwanda (Ca.) 11-2 loss to Sacramento beat Redondo Union and Mater Dei.
16.Roland Park (MD) 10-1 Xcellant 25's # 11.
17.Mansfield (TX) 24-1 Texas claims Texas is the best bball in the nation.:)
18.Incarnate Word (MO.) 12-1 only loss to #7 Pinewood..
19.Grandview (Co.) 7-3 Beat Mitty and Riverdale (MD) loss Centennial, CTK, #8 Regis.
20.Southridge (Or.) 10-3 played well at TOC beat Mitty.
21.Bradley Central (TN.) 14-2 Beat SMS loss to Highlands Ranch
22.Sierra Canyon (Ca.) 13- 0 test will be Windward 1/15.
23.Clovis West ( Ca.)14-2 Just something about the well coached teams. (Windward 1/21)
24.Salesian (Ca.)8-5 Beat # 4 Centennial ( much better than record)
25.Afrocentric (OH) 9-0 #3 Xcellant poll. (tie) Oak ridge (TN) 16-2 Won Mike @ TOC.
26. Edison (MI) 9-2 (# 6 on Xcellant 25 list).
27.Heritage (NC.) 11-0 (#22 on Xcellant 25 list).
28.CTK (NY.) 4-4 tie with SMS 11-4 (Ca.)Down year watch soon for healthier team.
29.Miramonte (Ca.) 16-2 Another well coached team that loves to over achieve.
30. Sacramento (Ca.) 8-6 Don't let the record fool ya they can ball.

Local Honorable mention: Folsom, McClatchy, Bear Creek, SJND, Antelope,Odowd, Cardinal Newman, Heritage, SHCP, Clovis North. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

Note: Any good and well coached team can beat any other team. So don't count out anyone on the list to include the honorable mentioned. I may edit the list slightly soon.
I believe Heritage is a better team than Miramonte.

I believe Heritage is a better team than Miramonte.

They probably are. As it hurt MM losing America De Los Santos. But Heritage wouldn't be the first team Miramonte might upset anyway. MM IMO wasn't even so special when they had one of the best players in the country at the time Sabina I. Please don't take that statement the wrong way. Because they were a very good team back then. But not as good as many teams they beat or hung with because they had the players and the coaching. MM then and even now often give teams they have no reason in the world being able to hang with all sorts of trouble. I'm in no way saying Heritage and many other teams that teams like Miramonte, Pinewood, ESCP, Clovis West, SJND and a few others that often don't have a lot of size or so call D1 players upset, don't have good coaching. Heritage has good coaching too. MM however would find a way to make the game closer than it should be, if not even pull off the upset. What I'm often saying is many often don't take into account the importance of coaching before, during, and after games. And you definitely must be doing a good job at all 3 of those things to beat MM. Because MM often does a good job of coaching before, during, and after games. And that produces more times than not a confident team that leaves everything on the court.

AtomicDawg1911,

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if Heritage was able to beat MM, I would't at this time rank Heritage higher than I would MM. Just based on past history. It was like I had no doubt Clet had enough to beat Pinewood, but they had to actually do it or beat someone ranked higher for me to move Clet pass Pinewood.

Any good and well coach team can beat any other team within the same level and within reason.

Last edited:
according to the MaxPreps computer ranking as of today....

Norcal Rankings...

1.PW
2. Mitty
3. Clet
4. MM
5. St Francis (MV)
6. Antelope
7. Menlo
8.Heritage

the 2 surprises are obviously SF and Menlo and I don't think (barring a CCS OPEN Upset) that either team gets moved to the OPEN...all the others are legit OPEN potential teams.

D1....
9. Salesian
10. Bear Creek
11. SMS
12. McClatchy
13. Folsom
14. Montgomery
15. SRV
16 CN
17. Cons Oaks
18. SI
19. SAC
20. BOD
21. St Pats
22. Presentation
23. Enterprise
24. Cal

Notable omissions:

St Joes
Mission SJ
SHC
Elk Grove
Berkeley

I have to believe at least 3 of the 5 above will be in D1...so whos out?

Enterprise for sure as their commissioner will lobby to get them in D2 or D3.

So who else?

Last edited:
according to the MaxPreps computer ranking as of today....

Norcal Rankings...

1.PW
2. Mitty
3. Clet
4. MM
5. St Francis (MV)
6. Antelope
7. Menlo
8.Heritage

the 2 surprises are obviously SF and Menlo and I don't think (barring a CCS OPEN Upset) that either team gets moved to the OPEN...all the others are legit OPEN potential teams.

D1....
9. Salesian
10. Bear Creek
11. SMS
12. McClatchy
13. Folsom
14. Montgomery
15. SRV
16 CN
17. Cons Oaks
18. SI
19. SAC
20. BOD
21. St Pats
22. Presentation
23. Enterprise
24. Cal

Notable omissions:

St Joes
Mission SJ
SHC
Elk Grove
Berkeley

I have to believe at least 3 of the 5 above will be in D1...so whos out?

Enterprise for sure as their commissioner will lobby to get them in D2 or D3.

So who else?
On a serious note, why would anyone comment on those computer rankings . They mean absolutely nothing and don't make any sense period.

Reactions: mkbgdns
I agree ... the computer rankings are relatively valuable information at season's end, but don't really say much now. For example, Cardinal Newman (No. 16) 64, Montgomery (No. 14) 27.

By the end of the section playoffs, though, the numbers are much better within California -- but for whatever reason, the computer also overvalues California and Texas teams nationally.

as i said the header said "California Rankings"

not prep2prep rankings...
not cal hi rankings...
not norcalpreps rankings...

is not MaxPreps 1 of the ranking sites?

and its the only ranking site that goes deep enough to allow a look at the top24 in Norcal.

No one suggested its the end all to the evententual seedings. But it is a tool that the committee uses.

Reactions: observer22
I know that reading the header tired you out, but when you're rested, look at the first post, by the person who chose the header, Mr Dawg, new to the board. it specifically asks for comments on accuracy.

Max Preps serves a purpose but it is such a moving target with too much emphasis on wins and margin it appears. You can look at a team like BOD and see their SOS and their record and they are rated low. Yet teams below them A) would have a worse record if they played the schedule and B) would get crushed by them head to head and most importantly C) would never call them to schedule a game.

Where it appears to be very reliable is when two or three teams have played a comparable schedule then the numbers really make a lot of sense. I feel you have to let the season play out before you can really verify their accuracy, which at year ends appears to play out well.

computers crunch numbers (data). with 1/4 of the regular season, including big matchups, and the critical Sectionals not in yet, the numbers are hardly Word. besides, we don't know how the CIF Black Box will weigh them.

to use a computer, or human, "ranking" to predict CIF Division assignments/seeding at this point is premature. like buying a fully autonomous vehicle. called HAL.

the fact that Presentation (#1) and ESP (#2) were the top 2 seeded teams in D1 last year and West Campus was a D3 team shows you that the CIF committee weighs the MaxPreps rankings. Now we are only 2/3 of the way thru the season so the rankings are still adjusting obviously...but at this point you are not going to move that far...at most (if you are in the top 60-70) plus or minus 20 (obviously if you have a long extended losing streak you could fall more).

A perfect example of the MaxPreps rankings enlightening this board on a sleeper team is MENLO... not on most of ours radars....but looking like a CCS OPEN team again and a D1 Norcal candidate.

I'll wager that EVERY team in the current top24 will end up in OPEN, D1 or D2....

the fact that Presentation (#1) and ESP (#2) were the top 2 seeded teams in D1 last year and West Campus was a D3 team shows you that the CIF committee weighs the MaxPreps rankings. Now we are only 2/3 of the way thru the season so the rankings are still adjusting obviously...but at this point you are not going to move that far...at most (if you are in the top 60-70) plus or minus 20 (obviously if you have a long extended losing streak you could fall more).

A perfect example of the MaxPreps rankings enlightening this board on a sleeper team is MENLO... not on most of ours radars....but looking like a CCS OPEN team again and a D1 Norcal candidate.

I'll wager that EVERY team in the top24 will end up in OPEN, D1 or D2.... it does in fact give u an idea on some teams that perhaps you weren't aware of.

Good call on Menlo, another strong unit from the WBAL. It's not a stretch to speculate that Menlo, SHP and Eastside Prep, not to mention Pinewood of course, would, or could, capture any CCS public school league. Woodside Priory would not be far behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT