ADVERTISEMENT

Top Ranked Sophomore headed to Golden One

Provided Bosco can keep the band together for next year, they'll be murder.

Only one senior that plays much, according to the stats on MaxPreps.

Can he handle the Irish lad Seamus is the question @Streak One ? Don't be surprised if SRV pulls an OR vs Mater Dei or Palo Alto vs Mater Dei of the yester years.

The No. 1 player in the new Rivals150 for the 2026 class (St. John Bosco's Brandon McCoy Jr.) will lead his squad into the D1 title game against San Ramon Valley on Friday night

McCoy is the real deal. But I think an even better long term prospect is sophomore Arenas who somehow is playing in the d4 state final this week. The socal 26 class could be an all timer with those two, Jason Crowe and Tahj Ariza all being top 15 players in the country.

• Wow
Reactions: coachlittle
McCoy is the real deal. But I think an even better long term prospect is sophomore Arenas who somehow is playing in the d4 state final this week. The socal 26 class could be an all timer with those two, Jason Crowe and Tahj Ariza all being top 15 players in the country.
Yeah it is a very talented group down there. Now question is where do they stay at same schools rest of their career? Would have a big impact over the next two years

Can he handle the Irish lad Seamus is the question @Streak One ? Don't be surprised if SRV pulls an OR vs Mater Dei or Palo Alto vs Mater Dei of the yester years.
I think SRV plays them very tough. I can see a game decided by 5 points or less. I think Bosco gave Salesian their only loss so I think they might be better than that Mater Dei team

Reactions: larry legend33
I think SRV plays them very tough. I can see a game decided by 5 points or less. I think Bosco gave Salesian their only loss so I think they might be better than that Mater Dei team
SJB did give Salesian their only loss, a 2 point loss in overtime back in December. McCoy had 26 pts.

Now get this. Jason Crowe and Lynwood are all Sophmores. That's right Sophmores. !! Talk about a bright future .!!

Here's wishing you great hoops

SJB did give Salesian their only loss, a 2 point loss in overtime back in December. McCoy had 26 pts.
Man when you look at how the season shook out Salesian’s 31-1 record is even more impressive with multiple teams they beat in state title games and one that beat them by 2. Impressive for a team that doesn’t seem to have any one superstar recruit. Although I think their sophomore class will have a few D1 recruits down the line.

Man when you look at how the season shook out Salesian’s 31-1 record is even more impressive with multiple teams they beat in state title games and one that beat them by 2. Impressive for a team that doesn’t seem to have any one superstar recruit. Although I think their sophomore class will have a few D1 recruits down the line.
I agree with you that Salesian has had a very impressive season when you look at all the teams they have beaten. Last summer they also beat Roosevelt and Harvard-Westlake at Cali-Live, but lost the rematch with Harvard-Westlake at Section 7. The rubber match with Harvard-Westlake should be good.

The Salesian sophomore class is good, but in watching the team play this season, I think Salesian is solid across all classes. My guess is that today's scouts and evaluators are more interested in promoting and recruiting athletes verses recruiting ball players that have high basketball IQs and are highly skilled (i.e. dribbling, passing, etc.).

Also, can someone explain why for all the athletes that Riordan has, why do their coaches rely on zone defense?

I agree with you that Salesian has had a very impressive season when you look at all the teams they have beaten. Last summer they also beat Roosevelt and Harvard-Westlake at Cali-Live, but lost the rematch with Harvard-Westlake at Section 7. The rubber match with Harvard-Westlake should be good.

The Salesian sophomore class is good, but in watching the team play this season, I think Salesian is solid across all classes. My guess is that today's scouts and evaluators are more interested in promoting and recruiting athletes verses recruiting ball players that have high basketball IQs and are highly skilled (i.e. dribbling, passing, etc.).

Also, can someone explain why for all the athletes that Riordan has, why do their coaches rely on zone defense?
cuz they would be backdoored to death playing man with their lack of discipline

McCoy was at Odowd starting his freshman year. Looks like a major fumble on Odowd’s part.

First of all the best 2026 in my opinion is still Stokes at Prolific. If you put him on any non-Prep team, he would average 20/10/5 in any league.

As for Mccoy, my guess is about 80/20 that he ends up at Prolific next season. I have zero inside information, but based on how the current roster is constructed, they need a PG and a C to round out the projected lineup of returners: Stokes, Dybantsa and Grady.

I also know that Mccoy and Stokes are best friends, so if Mccoy does go the prep route, it will most likely be at Prolific.

Socal is just oozing with prospects right now, and I think a Prep School to keep an eye out on is DNA Prep in Chatsworth. I think Arenas will play there next season, and the rest of the guys we will see.

I think Salesian sophomore class has some bigtime ballers. Elias Obenyah is top 15 in California by Calhisports with several D1 interests. Isaiah Davis and Carlton Perrilliat are among the best in the state. Salesian's future is bright.

I think Salesian sophomore class has some bigtime ballers. Elias Obenyah is top 15 in California by Calhisports with several D1 interests. Isaiah Davis and Carlton Perrilliat are among the best in the state. Salesian's future is bright.
All 3 of them came up huge last night. Carlton kept them in the game in the first half getting to the line and knocking down free throws. Obenjah had a nice run in the third with a big dunk, and Davis hit a few huge shots and ran the offense for a stretch.

Reactions: viper221980
First of all the best 2026 in my opinion is still Stokes at Prolific. If you put him on any non-Prep team, he would average 20/10/5 in any league.

As for Mccoy, my guess is about 80/20 that he ends up at Prolific next season. I have zero inside information, but based on how the current roster is constructed, they need a PG and a C to round out the projected lineup of returners: Stokes, Dybantsa and Grady.

I also know that Mccoy and Stokes are best friends, so if Mccoy does go the prep route, it will most likely be at Prolific.

Socal is just oozing with prospects right now, and I think a Prep School to keep an eye out on is DNA Prep in Chatsworth. I think Arenas will play there next season, and the rest of the guys we will see.
Jesus are you really going down this path again! There is zero need for him to leave a top 25 team in the country that returns everyone next year to go to any prep school. And Stokes is an absurd beast of a player. He’s also the same size as he was in 8th grade. I predict he won’t be a top 10 national player by his senior year.

Jesus are you really going down this path again! There is zero need for him to leave a top 25 team in the country that returns everyone next year to go to any prep school. And Stokes is an absurd beast of a player. He’s also the same size as he was in 8th grade. I predict he won’t be a top 10 national player by his senior year.

I don’t know man. He may be right. I get what you’re saying, why leave a top 25 team. But man kids move these days. And got to be honest I was really impressed when I saw Prolific play at the Crush. It’s a whole other level of high school kids playing. And it’s great exposure. Watching Zion play I would like to know why he left there. Like one AAU guru said, he has pro gifts.

Reactions: ayalar09

prolific has 18 kids on the bench.. u telling me none of them can play the point???

prolific has 18 kids on the bench.. u telling me none of them can play the point???

You and I both know, that in order to compete for a National Championship every year, sometimes you need to upgrade.

Once again, I am completely guessing here about Mccoy. But playing even the highest level of CA basketball with a national schedule, isn’t the same as playing Link Academy, IMG, Columbus and Montverde year in and year out.

You and I both know, that in order to compete for a National Championship every year, sometimes you need to upgrade.

Once again, I am completely guessing here about Mccoy. But playing even the highest level of CA basketball with a national schedule, isn’t the same as playing Link Academy, IMG, Columbus and Montverde year in and year out.
fair.

cuz they would be backdoored to death playing man with their lack of discipline
I also wondered why Riordan went to zone when their man defense was playing well enough. Of course, Salesian exploited the zone and scored off of it, then Riordan switched back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only saw 1 backdoor basket by Salesian early in the 1st quarter when Riordan was playing man. Riordan scored on a backdoor alley-oop dunk late in the 3rd.

I also wondered why Riordan went to zone when their man defense was playing well enough. Of course, Salesian exploited the zone and scored off of it, then Riordan switched back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only saw 1 backdoor basket by Salesian early in the 1st quarter when Riordan was playing man. Riordan scored on a backdoor alley-oop dunk late in the 3rd.
You are correct

Against better teams, sometimes it’s important to give them both looks, as it can confuse teams. Usually if it works in the 1st half, you stick with it, but Riordan probably overthank it and paid for it.

Stuart Hall years back against St Mary’s played a man and we’re getting pounded in the Norcal championship. Switched to zone and the other team had no clue what to do with it.

Riordan should have realized quickly and switched back to man, but I guess the coach already thought they were in too deep.

Salesian had possession with 26 seconds remaining. It was Riordan’s man D that created the Salesian turnover to give Riordan a shot at tying the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT