Hall of Famer
Sep 29, 2008
1. Mitty
2. SI
3. Pwood
4. SHC

who knows?

This post was edited on 2/20 9:35 PM by jazzpt55

in 32 hours everyone will know. in the meantime, california's fragile snowpack can't survive large volumes of hot air.

This post was edited on 2/21 10:43 AM by mkbgdns

1. SI
2. Pwood
3. Mitty
4. Scotts Valley
5. SHC
6. ESCP
7. Palo Alto
8. Piedmont Hills/North Salinas

so the si loss at mitty meant....
nothing???

i have seen this before a really late loss gets discounted....
i don't understand it...other than people already having
their minds made up ....so some new late info gets discounted...

i wonder what clay thinks

and the pwood vs mitty loser is out of the norcal open?

This post was edited on 2/22 7:27 AM by jazzpt55

Originally posted by jazzpt55:
so the si loss at mitty meant....
nothing???

i have seen this before a really late loss gets discounted....
i don't understand it...other than people already having
their minds made up ....so some new late info gets discounted...
Better than discounting 20+ games of evidence just because you want the final game of the season to mean something. The entire body of work will decide who goes where.

Ahhhh my old dance partner
I missed you...glad you
Have returned from your
Vacation!!!!

I have a question Jazzpt55 does SHC upset and win the open or is it an upset when SHC split both with SI and Mitty???????? And this will Shake up the Norcal Open if this happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

Menlo-Atherton might be in the conversation with good wins vs. Palo Alto and Westmoor. But too many bad losses probably kill their chances.

BD remember if you lose
In the semis you just
Might get a state
D5 ...pwood...
Or state D2. Championship...mitty...
So why not tank a game and let
Somebody else win or come in second
In the CCS open

did i hear right ccs did not place shc in the
open... if that was shc's choice...
if not ccs has no backbone

What you Jazzpt that someone going to tank a game but would that be something new or did they do that already last year to when state for the 20th time. They dont think they have a chance to be SMS??? Why are teams scared to play a game against SMS?????

Originally posted by ballersdreams:
What you Jazzpt that someone going to tank a game but would that be something new or did they do that already last year to when state for the 20th time. They dont think they have a chance to be SMS??? Why are teams scared to play a game against SMS?????
^^^
Well it looks like English but I'm not sure....

Mo this is english and yes Pinewood last didnt want to go to the open and dumped one in the CCS open!!!!!!! Then they went to the D5 and won state for the 20th time in the same division. They n=d to follow the SJS section rule and move up a division. But I guess D4 is a little rougher D5!!!!!!

Pinewood definitely had a much easier path last season with only a mediocre Brookside team in the Nor Cal game. I think Brookside was just as talented but Doc is a far superior coach than Que and they showed what it looks like when one team is prepared for an opponent and the other just rolls the balls out. The irony is that Brookside tried dumping the games the year before only to get pulled to the open and do the infamous one and done act.

Originally posted by jazzpt55:
doc vs sue does the loser win the d5 or d2 state championship?
Don't know where you got info the semifinals loser is out of the NorCal Open or if it's just your take, but CalHi thinks if Pinewood wins the first round they are in. It makes perfect sense with SI ranked 4th, PW ranked 7th and Mitty ranked 12th overall in the state that if one loses to the other it won't drop them out of the NorCal open.

Factor out the SoCal teams and they are 2nd, 4th and 6th ranked in NorCal (In NCP PW is 3rd, SI 4th, MItty 6th) and you figure at least six teams go to the open. So losing to each other should not affect that. What may cause problems is if a semifinal loser loses in the consolation game, but even that can be explained away as a momentary letdown in a game that mans nothing as far as a section title by a team whose body of work still shows they are one of the top six (or eight) teams in the region..

This post was edited on 2/22 11:15 PM by bodyguard

If O'Dowd wins D3 in NCS, then I think one of your CCS teams misses out on Open. Otherwise, all three deserve the honor of competing in the Open.
Also, can SHC pull another shocker?
Is it possible SI could miss the open?
Fun to watch this play out the next two weeks.

I think SHC has a good chance to when the open because all the games are played a natural sites, The question is can SHC be constant because they have been up and down all year. I think Pinewood beats Mitty by less than 10. Just think if the final in the CCS Open is Pinewood vs SHC. Which other team beside these 2 will be invited to the Norcal Open.

Originally posted by Ol' Brick Layer:
If O'Dowd wins D3 in NCS, then I think one of your CCS teams misses out on Open. Otherwise, all three deserve the honor of competing in the Open.
Also, can SHC pull another shocker?
Is it possible SI could miss the open?
Fun to watch this play out the next two weeks.
I think if there are upsets that force an add of a team that wouldn't get in if things go chalk would just trigger an expansion to seven or eight teams and all three still get in (as long as they win 1st round of CCS)

Don't forget PW has a win over Carondelet, SI has a win over O'Dowd and a common opponent advantage over Carondelet and Mitty has a common opponent advantage over O'Dowd.
This post was edited on 2/23 8:29 AM by bodyguard

It will certainly be entertaining. And one thing for sure this season, anyone can be beaten on any given night. I hope the stands are packed. Lots of matchups, especially in the CCS.

Only two advance to open from CCS. One of those three teams will have two losses in the playoffs and will likely get moved down to their natural division. We played Palo Alto early in the season and they were good and judging by their record they have improved steadily. Can they pull off an upset?

Originally posted by enman13:
Only two advance to open from CCS. One of those three teams will have two losses in the playoffs and will likely get moved down to their natural division. We played Palo Alto early in the season and they were good and judging by their record they have improved steadily. Can they pull off an upset?
If all three are still ranked in the top 6 in NorCal, as they are now in both NCP and Cal-Hi Sports, all three will get in. Losing to each other should not affect that. A loss to someone else probably would. But you can't discount head-to-head and common opponent results because of a playoff loss to teams they may even have in common, especially if those teams are also going to the open. Also how could one have guaranteed two playoff losses? Only if they lose consolation as well. Or was that a prediction?

Are all these predictions/assumptions
Based on 8 teams in the nor cal
Open or 6 teams in the nor cal
Open?

This post was edited on 2/23 9:23 PM by jazzpt55

my impression is that the purpose of Open is to select the best teams. in both of its first two years, NCS sent 4, last year including 2 division runners-up (ironically, those two advanced to the Norcal final). by creating an Open section division, CCS has already decided who the 8 best teams in the section are. why shouldn't three advance, or four, if they are among the top 8 teams in Norcal? the Open should include Norcal's best 8.

mkbgdns there couldn't be 4 CCS teams in the Norcal Open because for wont qualify under the bylaws but SHC will win the CCS open. Pinewood, SI, and SHC will be their mark my words?.
This post was edited on 2/23 4:27 PM by ballersdreams

The limit is 4 from any one section. At least it has been up to now. That's the first I've heard of a 3 team limit. Last year NCS had 4 team, 3 NCS champs (Miramonte D3, St. Mary's D4 & Carondelet D2) plus Salesian who was runner up at NCS D4 and won the NorCal Open title. Mkbgdns, Miramonte may not have been favored over BOD last year, but they were the official D3 winner at NCS due to the scheduling snafu.

you're right--my brain got stuck on M losing to BOD in the NCS DIII final--it had happened the previous two years...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT