ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Monday Notes

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Here are a couple of notes from Monday. Feel free to add more.

Bouncing back from its loss to Mater Dei, Mitty beat St. Joseph 75-39 in the third place game of the Platinum Division at the West Coast Jamboree. Sydney Bourland led four players in double figures with 15 points. Bourland and Olivia Williams were named to the all-tournament team.

Salesian led 22-4 after the first quarter en route to a 75-65 win over Miramonte. Sophomore post Silivia Fonongaloa had 20 points for the Pride, which put four players in double figures. Salesian and Miramonte are both 10-1.

After dropping two games last week, Heritage came back to win its bracket at the West Coast Jamboree by beating Kamehameha Kapalama-Hawaii 61-48. The Patriots gave up 41 points per game during the tournament.

Pinewood stayed undefeated with a 73-47 win over St. Francis-Mountain View. Annika Decker was named MVP.

Lick-Wilmerding improved to 9-1 in winning the Newark Memorial tournament. It beat Sequoia 37-36 win the finals.

Reactions: GBBall4L and NU84
McClatchy and Folsom were both 3-0 in the Seaside Tournament (near Monterey), and were supposed to play against each other in the finals. But looking at MaxPreps, it looks like they didn't play at all, while all the other teams they beat played a fourth game on Monday. Interesting.

Not all team played 4. Some played 3 and 2. Folsom didn’t have their point guard for at least first game. McClatchy team is good and deep. Both Palo Alto and Aptos had leads in 2nd half but depth of McClatchy allowed them to pull away late.

Reactions: cptmycpa
In the Opal Championship, Colfax beat St Patrick by 25pts. Point guard at Colfax, Lundberg shut down Tameiya Sadler (UW full-ride scholarship) and made her so frustrated. Lundberg controls the offense and plays defense so well that Colfax is a legit D5 State contender. Grace Bliss (Cal Poly Recruit) was tourney MVP and had 27pts in game

In the Opal Championship, Colfax beat St Patrick by 25pts. Point guard at Colfax, Lundberg shut down Tameiya Sadler (UW full-ride scholarship) and made her so frustrated. Lundberg controls the offense and plays defense so well that Colfax is a legit D5 State contender. Grace Bliss (Cal Poly Recruit) was tourney MVP and had 27pts in game

Colfax has a pretty good squad this year but I don’t think they will be D5 for NorCal. My guess is D2/D3

Reactions: NU84
You’re right. They will be D5 favorites for section but I figure they get realigned for state playoffs which I think is horrible. Here is a public school of 590 students in rural Placer County with a group of girls whom are a once every 25 years group for a school this size and they will probably have to play schools 3x’s their size when state games start.

Reactions: Blisteru
Or you could be a public school with the same enrollment as a private school that recruits and always be in the private school's division come postseason.

You’re right. They will be D5 favorites for section but I figure they get realigned for state playoffs which I think is horrible. Here is a public school of 590 students in rural Placer County with a group of girls whom are a once every 25 years group for a school this size and they will probably have to play schools 3x’s their size when state games start.
you only need 7 players and they wear shoes and play with the same ball. if you already lost faith in december you might as well give up the season.

Well then Colfax should be good: they have 3 on the bench, all wearing shoes and use same ball. I invite you to watch this group. Everyone who does can’t believe they beat the teams they do. They’re truly inspiring.

Or you could be a public school with the same enrollment as a private school that recruits and always be in the private school's division come postseason.
Clay - it’s my understanding there are some public schools who have open enrollment which draws players out of their area, coupled with families of means being able to relocate to affluent areas, gives some public schools similar advantages....

What you guys call recruiting is not actually recruiting. All coaches even public school coaches should be working on building relationships so that the kids wanna play for you and will actually consider staying in their district. Clovis West, Clovis North and Clovis and great examples of that. The girls there could just go to the Private school that "recruits" such as San Joaquin Memorial but they stay home and play. If it were that easy then why aren't all private schools good? I know I'm off subject but I keep hearing the Private schools recruiting argument when in reality the schools that put effort into an AAU club and has a team that plays together over the summer will excel.

What you guys call recruiting is not actually recruiting. All coaches even public school coaches should be working on building relationships so that the kids wanna play for you and will actually consider staying in their district. Clovis West, Clovis North and Clovis and great examples of that. The girls there could just go to the Private school that "recruits" such as San Joaquin Memorial but they stay home and play. If it were that easy then why aren't all private schools good? I know I'm off subject but I keep hearing the Private schools recruiting argument when in reality the schools that put effort into an AAU club and has a team that plays together over the summer will excel.

I think most everyone on here is well aware of how schools get their players. In calling it recruiting, I don’t think there was any implication that things were done illegally.

Magnet schools (Sacramento can enroll anyone in the 47,000-student Sacramento school district) and charter schools (either limited to a particular district or not limited at all) are "public" schools that can operate much like private schools.

Most public schools have enrollment boundaries, but determined parents can usually make transfers work.

Reactions: GBBall4L
I dont know about the other areas in Northern California but...

Sonoma County has OPEN enrollment. And the best facilities in the county are at a PUBLIC school. So unless you consider paying a 5 digit private tuition$$$(as compared to a public zero) an advantage.... the "advantages" you talk about dont exist around here. Perhaps the better coaching and programs actually attracts the better players and have nothing to do with actual "recruiting".

Reactions: GBBall4L
Well then Colfax should be good: they have 3 on the bench, all wearing shoes and use same ball. I invite you to watch this group. Everyone who does can’t believe they beat the teams they do. They’re truly inspiring.
i agree. they should be aight. if you have elite feet and can use your off hand no matter if there are 400,000 kids at a school. only 7 or 8 really play just be better that day with your 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT