ADVERTISEMENT

CIF 4AA Team still playing after awful Officiating Mistake gifted them a playoff win on final play

mrbig864

Hall of Famer
Oct 7, 2008
Ran across this crazy story this morning and thought our board here would find it fascinating. An officiating error on the final play of the game swung the result of the Central Section SemiFinal and the recipient of the bad call finds itself still playing in the SoCal 4-AA final this weekend.

Seems to me like the section got it wrong by not overruling the final score. But I do “sorta” understand their reasoning (ie…are we opening Pandora’s Box by allowing a protest that wasn’t properly filed at the time - albeit because the officials left the field)

Thoughts?

Ran across this crazy story this morning and thought our board here would find it fascinating. An officiating error on the final play of the game swung the result of the Central Section SemiFinal and the recipient of the bad call finds itself still playing in the SoCal 4-AA final this weekend.

Seems to me like the section got it wrong by not overruling the final score. But I do “sorta” understand their reasoning (ie…are we opening Pandora’s Box by allowing a protest that wasn’t properly filed at the time - albeit because the officials left the field)

Thoughts?

Wow!…. That is pretty Crazy!!!…. Kudos to the Ref’s for trying to do the right thing….

I do understand the ruling by the CIF, for good or bad we can’t go back and change game results after the fact due to officiating mistakes as they are part of the game…..

If you allow this one then where does it end?…. Does a team’s victory get overturned because of a blowen call in the 1st Quarter?…..

It’s a bummer for the kids and the school, but blown calls are part of the game and no one is perfect…..

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing. The ref gaff was discussed on this board. The officials acknowledged their mistake and made it public. I'm sure this has happened before but I never heard of such action. I think the CIF officials made the right choice by not overturning the decision but I sure understand the frustration of the Shafter coach.

Reactions: Cal 14
this the same coach who was crying last year about having to play football in football weather and the elements when he lost.

Reactions: MC415
Bottom line is this was still a judgement call rather than a misuse of the rules by the refs.

An obvious misjudgment, but still a misjudgment.

Even if there had been a proper protest filed, the result would (or at least should) stand.

Reactions: bella123
Bottom line is this was still a judgement call rather than a misuse of the rules by the refs.

An obvious misjudgment, but still a misjudgment.

Even if there had been a proper protest filed, the result would (or at least should) stand.
I wouldn’t consider this a “judgement”. The officials left the playing field prior to discussing what happened. Upon getting together to discuss, they recognized their error. Im not familiar with specifics of what can or cannot be protested. From reading a few articles, there appears to be mention that because the officials left the playing field, a protest was no longer allowed.

Either way, this is amongst the most brutal endings to a game. Makes me think of the game where a team scored on the ”5th down” because of officiating error. Maybe Missouri or Nebraska was involved?

Reactions: aztecpadre
I wouldn’t consider this a “judgement”. The officials left the playing field prior to discussing what happened. Upon getting together to discuss, they recognized their error. Im not familiar with specifics of what can or cannot be protested. From reading a few articles, there appears to be mention that because the officials left the playing field, a protest was no longer allowed.

Either way, this is amongst the most brutal endings to a game. Makes me think of the game where a team scored on the ”5th down” because of officiating error. Maybe Missouri or Nebraska was involved?
Colorado vs Missouri?

Reactions: mrbig864
this the same coach who was crying last year about having to play football in football weather and the elements when he lost.
😁Not saying I didn’t chuckle a bit watching that coach get all wound up in the video, but to be fair, I didn’t see him mention a single thing about the “weather“ or the “elements”, or having to play in them. Only the awful condition of the field. 🤷🏼

Last edited:

Thoughts?
I do understand the ruling by the CIF, for good or bad we can’t go back and change game results after the fact due to officiating mistakes as they are part of the game…..

If you allow this one then where does it end?…. Does a team’s victory get overturned because of a blowen call in the 1st Quarter?…..

In this instance, I think it's "easy" to make the call to overturn the incorrect result. Because it occurred on the final play of the game. Kinda like a shot in basketball clearly going in after the buzzer or "red light".

Nothing else that happened in the game would be affected because nothing else transpired after.

It isn't the same as a blown call in Q1 or anytime during the game when the events thereafter would be affected and you don't know how the game would have played out by changing even one thing.

In this particular case, the play shouldn't have counted and there wouldn't have been a replay of the down. Had they correctly identified the long snapper as an ineligible receiver the play would have been wiped out via penalty and the game immediately over. And had the officials remained on the field, they likely would have overturned their initial decision not long after. So I see no reason to not correct it now.

There's no gray area. The player was ineligible. The officials have acknowledged it. There's video proof, I'm sure.

Further, I don't see changing this result as opening "Pandora's box" as these final play game-ending controversies aren't super wide spread. But when they do come up they should be corrected.

Finally, if I were coaching the team that benefited from this oversight, I couldn't in good conscience let my team take the field the next week. I'd work with the opposing coach to work with the section to forfeit my team's participation over to the team that really won the game. But that's just me.

Addendum to the above: these sections have frequently and consistently overturned wins and losses over the years, sometimes weeks after the fact, due to ineligible player participation over grades or some other viable reason.

I recall Franklin-Stockton having to forfeit the majority of their season in 2007 (19 victories in total from three seasons) due to a recruiting scandal.

If they can overturn wins and losses for those reasons, which affect playoff placement, then there's really no good reason they can't or shouldn't do so in this rare situation. In both cases, they are righting wrongs.

Addendum to the above: these sections have frequently and consistently overturned wins and losses over the years, sometimes weeks after the fact, due to ineligible player participation over grades or some other viable reason.

I recall Franklin-Stockton having to forfeit the majority of their season in 2007 (19 victories in total from three seasons) due to a recruiting scandal.

If they can overturn wins and losses for those reasons, which affect playoff placement, then there's really no good reason they can't or shouldn't do so in this rare situation. In both cases, they are righting wrongs.

None of these examples relate to occurrences on the field. The only parallels you can draw are the bad calls that have directly impacted baseball's World Series. In none of those cases did the winning team yield the trophies to the victims of the bad calls. I don't see a coach being expected to do the same to a bunch of 16-18 year olds.

But you are also talking about teams/schools/coaches actually knowingly committing violations with known repercussions.

Referee error is human and part of the game. It sucks for the kids, but that’s life.

You can’t just go back and pick one play even if it’s the last play of the game. That would be sloppy and lazy. You would have to review every single play of the game and there could’ve been a missed or wrong call at any point of the game that could’ve possibly benefited either team and changed the outcome. Just way to much of a Pandora’s box in my opinion.

Further, I don't see changing this result as opening "Pandora's box" as these final play game-ending controversies aren't super wide spread. But when they do come up they should be corrected.

Finally, if I were coaching the team that benefited from this oversight, I couldn't in good conscience let my team take the field the next week. I'd work with the opposing coach to work with the section to forfeit my team's participation over to the team that really won the game. But that's just me.

None of these examples relate to occurrences on the field. The only parallels you can draw are the bad calls that have directly impacted baseball's World Series. In none of those cases did the winning team yield the trophies to the victims of the bad calls. I don't see a coach being expected to do the same to a bunch of 16-18 year olds.
I agree Cal that the examples TR gave of teams being forfeited wins/loses after games have been played dont really relate to this scenario.

That stated, I also agree with TR’s take that this is a VERY unique scenario, in fact, Im not sure I can’t think of another time where officials blatantly missed an illegal player scoring the game winning play on the LAST PLAY of a game, and then admitted they missed it shortly afterwards.

I know why the section office didn’t change the result, but I’m leaning towards they should’ve.

But you are also talking about teams/schools/coaches actually knowingly committing violations with known repercussions.

Referee error is human and part of the game. It sucks for the kids, but that’s life.

You can’t just go back and pick one play even if it’s the last play of the game. That would be sloppy and lazy. You would have to review every single play of the game and there could’ve been a missed or wrong call at any point of the game that could’ve possibly benefited either team and changed the outcome. Just way to much of a Pandora’s box in my opinion.
But if that play had happened at any other point in the game, the coaches would’ve simply pointed it out to the sideline judge and it would’ve been fixed on the spot. Because the officials quickly ran off the field, the coaches didn’t have the opportunity to point it out to them. Right? It’s just not the same as any missed in game call. It happened ONLY because the officials not only missed the call, but left the field of play without confirming with each other. And it also would have ZERO Ongoing affect on the outcome (whereas any in-game reversal would change the course of the game)

just food for thought

But if that play had happened at any other point in the game, the coaches would’ve simply pointed it out to the sideline judge and it would’ve been fixed on the spot. Because the officials quickly ran off the field, the coaches didn’t have the opportunity to point it out to them. Right? It’s just not the same as any missed in game call. It happened ONLY because the officials not only missed the call, but left the field of play without confirming with each other. And it also would have ZERO Ongoing affect on the outcome (whereas any in-game reversal would change the course of the game)

just food for thought
Agree!!…. Had the coaches Realized it and The Refs had not left the field, this would have likely been resolved….

Brutal situation, you really hate seeing any game come down to this, especially with such high steaks…. Tough situation for all involved….

I agree Cal that the examples TR gave of teams being forfeited wins/loses after games have been played dont really relate to this scenario.

That stated, I also agree with TR’s take that this is a VERY unique scenario, in fact, Im not sure I can’t think of another time where officials blatantly missed an illegal player scoring the game winning play on the LAST PLAY of a game, and then admitted they missed it shortly afterwards.

I know why the section office didn’t change the result, but I’m leaning towards they should’ve.
Once the game is over and recorded, it's over. I'd be interested if you could find any scenario where something like this caused a reversal.

If anything, the only adjustment would be that the officials should be told to remain on the field until there is an indication from both coaches that there will be no protests.

Once the game is over and recorded, it's over. I'd be interested if you could find any scenario where something like this caused a reversal.

If anything, the only adjustment would be that the officials should be told to remain on the field until there is an indication from both coaches that there will be no protests.

The refs knew in the moment the call was wrong and instead of conferring they ran off the field. It’s not that complicated. They should have never left that field.

The refs knew in the moment the call was wrong and instead of conferring they ran off the field. It’s not that complicated. They should have never left that field.
What evidence do you have of that? Show your work.

They did an interview about it. There’s an artic
What evidence do you have of that? Show your wo
They wrote an article on it. I don’t have time to go look for it.

What really should happen from all this is an added emphasis to train refs to make sure they always get the right call. Get together. Confer. Put your ego aside.

We have a really bad issue w/ poor officiating in CA.

None of these examples relate to occurrences on the field. The only parallels you can draw are the bad calls that have directly impacted baseball's World Series.

You guys are missing the point. An apple and an orange aren't the exact same thing yet they are comparable as fruit and food.

The forfeit examples were cited to demonstrate that precedent has long been set for changing on-field results after the fact. Writing wrongs, so-to-speak. And it happens all the time.

You guys are choosing to focus on the reasons why the results were changed as being "different". While that may matter you, it doesn't invalidate the reality that on-field results were changed after the fact. And that was the point to be taken from the example.

My contention is, if they can do that in these other situations to right a wrong that was committed, why can't they do so in this situation? They absolutely can. And IMO they absolutely should.

Again, we seem to all agree that they can't go back and fix every wrong committed throughout a 48-minute contest. It's just not logistically possible to fix wrongs committed before the final play of the game, for what should be obvious reasons.

But in a case like this, they can do so without affecting anything else that happened in the game and without needing to put the teams back out on the field of play.

In the case of forfeiting games due to repercussions for committing wrongs, the section is going out of their way to right those wrongs. And you guys seem to support that. So I don't understand the reticence in taking the same approach here.

Chocking it up as "part of the game" is the lazy, easy way out -- especially considering that it can be corrected without altering events or requiring any real effort.

An egregious wrong was committed by the officials that unfairly altered the outcome of the game. A postseason game, no less. Changing the result to what it should have been shouldn't be controversial.

If a team can lose a game on the field but get a W after the fact once it is discovered that an ineligible player participated (often times unknowingly), why can't a deserving team be awarded a W once it was discovered that an ineligible player caught the ball?

The only precedent this would set is correcting an end of the game play that -- when overturned -- wouldn't result in needing to re-play any down. That's such a rare occurrence. But when it happens, the section should be obligated to correct it just as they do with player eligibility violations.

In none of those cases did the winning team yield the trophies to the victims of the bad calls. I don't see a coach being expected to do the same to a bunch of 16-18 year olds.

I never suggested that the coach should be expected to yield. I said that if it were me coaching that Torres team that didn't really win under the scenario that actually occurred on 11/17, I personally would yield and work with the opposing coach and the section to right the wrong.

I'm not into teaching 30+ kids the wrong things. But I realize not everyone shares the same moral compass.

😁Not saying I didn’t chuckle a bit watching that coach get all wound up in the video, but to be fair, I didn’t see him mention a single thing about the “weather“ or the “elements”, or having to play in them. Only the awful condition of the field. 🤷🏼
the field is that way cuz of the weather.

You guys are missing the point. An apple and an orange aren't the exact same thing yet they are comparable as fruit and food.

The forfeit examples were cited to demonstrate that precedent has long been set for changing on-field results after the fact. Writing wrongs, so-to-speak. And it happens all the time.

You guys are choosing to focus on the reasons why the results were changed as being "different". While that may matter you, it doesn't invalidate the reality that on-field results were changed after the fact. And that was the point to be taken from the example.

My contention is, if they can do that in these other situations to right a wrong that was committed, why can't they do so in this situation? They absolutely can. And IMO they absolutely should.

Again, we seem to all agree that they can't go back and fix every wrong committed throughout a 48-minute contest. It's just not logistically possible to fix wrongs committed before the final play of the game, for what should be obvious reasons.

But in a case like this, they can do so without affecting anything else that happened in the game and without needing to put the teams back out on the field of play.

In the case of forfeiting games due to repercussions for committing wrongs, the section is going out of their way to right those wrongs. And you guys seem to support that. So I don't understand the reticence in taking the same approach here.

Chocking it up as "part of the game" is the lazy, easy way out -- especially considering that it can be corrected without altering events or requiring any real effort.

An egregious wrong was committed by the officials that unfairly altered the outcome of the game. A postseason game, no less. Changing the result to what it should have been shouldn't be controversial.

If a team can lose a game on the field but get a W after the fact once it is discovered that an ineligible player participated (often times unknowingly), why can't a deserving team be awarded a W once it was discovered that an ineligible player caught the ball?

The only precedent this would set is correcting an end of the game play that -- when overturned -- wouldn't result in needing to re-play any down. That's such a rare occurrence. But when it happens, the section should be obligated to correct it just as they do with player eligibility violations.

I never suggested that the coach should be expected to yield. I said that if it were me coaching that Torres team that didn't really win under the scenario that actually occurred on 11/17, I personally would yield and work with the opposing coach and the section to right the wrong.

I'm not into teaching 30+ kids the wrong things. But I realize not everyone shares the same moral compass.
I hear what you are saying, and in a Vacum you are right, the right thing to do would be to fix the mistake even if it is done after the fact….

However, The reality is It should have been done with the Refs and Coaches before they left the field and declared the game over… But unfortunately the Refs completely whiffed on it…..

As far as changing results, this is only done when teams are caught Breaking Rules of participation and it is a punishment, to take away wins that were achieved by a school Cheating and not following the rules of participation….. The example used is an ineligible player participating in games… . And those games go down as forfeits….

You just can’t do this because of a mistake by an official because no team is breaking any rules of participation, the official made a mistake, it’s no one’s fault but the official’s so why would you “Punnish” a team who followed all the rules of participation, that was declared the winner by the Officials who unfortunately missed a penalty call?…..

What happens if on the same type of game ending play, the officials miss an egregious Holding or PI call or Facemask, etc…. Does the CIF start going back and changing game results because of this as well?…. This is why you can’t open Pandora’s box on a missed penalty call by the officials to end the game…..

The officials and their decisions are part of the game for good or for bad and players and coaches have to live with it…. That is one of the lessons that kids also learn from sports…..

Reactions: Cal 14 and bella123
I hear what you are saying, and in a Vacum you are right, the right thing to do would be to fix the mistake even if it is done after the fact….

However, The reality is It should have been done with the Refs and Coaches before they left the field and declared the game over… But unfortunately the Refs completely whiffed on it…..

As far as changing results, this is only done when teams are caught Breaking Rules of participation and it is a punishment, to take away wins that were achieved by a school Cheating and not following the rules of participation….. The example used is an ineligible player participating in games… . And those games go down as forfeits….

You just can’t do this because of a mistake by an official because no team is breaking any rules of participation, the official made a mistake, it’s no one’s fault but the official’s so why would you “Punnish” a team who followed all the rules of participation, that was declared the winner by the Officials who unfortunately missed a penalty call?…..

What happens if on the same type of game ending play, the officials miss an egregious Holding or PI call or Facemask, etc…. Does the CIF start going back and changing game results because of this as well?…. This is why you can’t open Pandora’s box on a missed penalty call by the officials to end the game…..

The officials and their decisions are part of the game for good or for bad and players and coaches have to live with it…. That is one of the lessons that kids also learn from sports…..
It wasn’t missed tho. That’s the issue. At least one of the officials knew the foul occurred prior to leaving the field.

No, because as I detailed earlier -- the examples you are bringing up aren't game-ending. If they occurred on the final play and were called, they wouldn't be the final play. The down would need to be replayed or another down beyond it would be necessary. The game could be otherwise extended.

The scenario from this game is game-ending, period. And a rare situation. Which is why it can be and IMO should be addressed and corrected.

While I realize this is HS, I recall a protest from an NBA game being upheld due to a late-game officiating error and the next time the two teams met later in the season, the earlier game was re-played from the point of the error (final minutes). I'm not advocating for that level of correction, as getting the teams back out field isn't viable most the time (and sets an unreasonable precedent). But it does show that this type of thing isn't totally out of the realm.

In this case it's a very simple correction. And, again, a very rare occurrence.

Last edited:
It wasn’t missed tho. That’s the issue. At least one of the officials knew the foul occurred prior to leaving the field.
I thought the Article said an Administrator came down to the officials after they had already left the field…..

If one of the Ref’s saw it then they should have huddled them all up and made the right call…. Again, Bad on the Refs, but what can you do if the refs don’t correct it?….

Reactions: bella123
I thought the Article said an Administrator came down to the officials after they had already left the field…..

If one of the Ref’s saw it then they should have huddled them all up and made the right call…. Again, Bad on the Refs, but what can you do if the refs don’t correct it?….
Right, but they told the admin right there that they knew the player was ineligible, which means they knew while they were on the field.

It’s not like they went back and called the replay center.

At least one of the refs knew, but didn’t make the call for whatever reason. Then told the rest if the crew.

Reactions: THEOC89

“Inexplicably, the officials were unaware that #3 had started the play as the snapper, and it wasn't until game administration tracked them down in the officials locker room that it was brought to their attention.”

We're not missing the point. It 100% matters when and how the mistake took place.

Look, you're welcome to hold onto your opinion and make claims of what you would or would not have done in that situation, but the bottom line is that there is no mechanism for changing the result of a game the day after it was declared over. Never has been, nor likely ever will be.

Also, the mistake wasn't as egregious as many think. See below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prepwisdom
“Inexplicably, the officials were unaware that #3 had started the play as the snapper, and it wasn't until game administration tracked them down in the officials locker room that it was brought to their attention.”
I wouldn't go as far as to say the mistake was 'inexplicable'. The player in question is their leading running back. In fact, he was the one who scored the TD that lead to the 2-pt conversion play. The refs would have been watching him start most offensive plays from an eligible position all game long and there was a lot of chaos in that final play.

Last edited:
the field is that way cuz of the weather.
My point was that complaining about a nearly unplayable field is nowhere near the same as complaining about “football weather”. So while both teams obviously had to deal with a playing surface which could be best described as “a disaster“, most would likely agree that it wasn‘t the best field to decide a State Title?

My point was that complaining about a nearly unplayable field is nowhere near the same as complaining about “football weather”. So while both teams obviously had to deal with a playing surface which could be best described as “a disaster“, most would likely agree that it wasn‘t the best field to decide a State Title?
I can assure you it decides state titles in other states. Guess Shafter got “Shafted” again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT