ADVERTISEMENT

CLOVIS WEST

FootballJunkie101

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2017
CHEROKEE COUNTY
Saw where CW beat the second best team in the SJS last night. Wouldn't be surprised if a few Fresno kids transferred their way this year. Can't wait to see their game against Valley Christian in a few weeks. Might be a good game for the Pick'em game of the week.

Last edited:
I believe it will prove out over the course of the season that CC is not the 2nd best team in the SJS.
For the thousandth time, I agree with you TR.;) I too believe over time CC will be proven not to be the 2nd best team in the SJS. However, they are a SJS perennial power and most would say they are considered a State power in the lower division. This CC loss in their place to CW just seemed to be newsworthy regardless if they are the 2nd best team in the SJS or not. That's what I take from this lost.

I also noticed over the years that YOU have a lot of solid information and knowledge on the Grant program. Would you agree with me that scheduling Central during their turbulent times isn't the smartest thing to do? Maybe they should schedule Edison of Fresno which is just as physical as Grant and not as well coached as Central. I personally believe Central coaching is just too superior at this point and time for Grant. I also believe this to be the case in general when it comes to NorCal coaching vs the Central Valley coaching. Not enough GREAT coaches in the CS vs the NorCal sections in my honest opinion.

I believe that CS Central program could compete with those LA powers if they had a DLS type coaching staff. The talent is their in that area of Fresno. I believe that area of Fresno has some of the best athletes in all of Cali. What are your thoughts on Grants future in regards to scheduling and their latest performance? Do you believe they should schedule down somewhat or should they continue scheduling powers with better coaching? I believe a strong Grant program makes NorCal a more dangerous and powerful HS football community. I know this post is all over the place but your input with this disappointing situation at Grant is appreciated my friend. Thanks TR and it's always a pleasure conversing with you on football topics.:cool:

For the thousandth time, I agree with you TR.;) I too believe over time CC will be proven not to be the 2nd best team in the SJS. However, they are a SJS perennial power and most would say they are considered a State power in the lower division. This CC loss in their place to CW just seemed to be newsworthy regardless if they are the 2nd best team in the SJS or not. That's what I take from this lost.

I also noticed over the years that YOU have a lot of solid information and knowledge on the Grant program. Would you agree with me that scheduling Central during their turbulent times isn't the smartest thing to do? Maybe they should schedule Edison of Fresno which is just as physical as Grant and not as well coached as Central. I personally believe Central coaching is just too superior at this point and time for Grant. I also believe this to be the case in general when it comes to NorCal coaching vs the Central Valley coaching. Not enough GREAT coaches in the CS vs the NorCal sections in my honest opinion.

I believe that CS Central program could compete with those LA powers if they had a DLS type coaching staff. The talent is their in that area of Fresno. I believe that area of Fresno has some of the best athletes in all of Cali. What are your thoughts on Grants future in regards to scheduling and their latest performance? Do you believe they should schedule down somewhat or should they continue scheduling powers with better coaching? I believe a strong Grant program makes NorCal a more dangerous and powerful HS football community. I know this post is all over the place but your input with this disappointing situation at Grant is appreciated my friend. Thanks TR and it's always a pleasure conversing with you on football topics.:cool:

They’re are playing a nationally ranked top 10 team I believe from Washington. Why because it’s grant from what I saw in a interview on the news with coach al it sounds like this could be his last year he needs 5 wins to set a wins record and honestly I think the record is what kept him coaching. Their jv team was the best group of kids in the area at the youth level if al is still the head coach in 2 years I think most of them will transfer. The parents love grant but the community has wanted change for a long time

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
They’re are playing a nationally ranked top 10 team I believe from Washington. Why because it’s grant from what I saw in a interview on the news with coach al it sounds like this could be his last year he needs 5 wins to set a wins record and honestly I think the record is what kept him coaching. Their jv team was the best group of kids in the area at the youth level if al is still the head coach in 2 years I think most of them will transfer. The parents love grant but the community has wanted change for a long time
WOW! You're right about Al scheduling the #21 team in the nation from Washington. I just looked at Grants schedule and notice this. What is going on with coach? This is crazy to me. I don't get it!!! This is the type of team you schedule when your program is a power like FOLSOM! Someone help me on why he scheduled this team. Thank you!

Reactions: THEOC89
WOW! You're right about Al scheduling the #21 team in the nation from Washington. I just looked at Grants schedule and notice this. What is going on with coach? This is crazy to me. I don't get it!!! This is the type of team you schedule when your program is a power like FOLSOM! Someone help me on why he scheduled this team. Thank you!

Simple, Coach Mike "the squirrel King" Alberghini just packing nuts for the unknowns ahead......

https://images.app.goo.gl/gG1vfgmRD8R1d7XE9

Last edited:

Why not schedule good teams when you can if grant had a team like Folsom or even a team like they had in 06-10 they’ll try to schedule bosco and mater dei. It’s a pride thing their motto is “to be the best you have to beat the best” nothing against Folsom but they just have a different mindset. And what’s happening at grant has been going on for a while just losing to Davis has been an eye opener to those outside the community. I came here and said when grant moves to the sfl this board will see it’s not a talent problem It’s a mixture of coaching, and discipline. Sjs has caught up to grant when grant should’ve been caught up to dls like Folsom.

Agreed on CC. Sorry, I didn't realize you made the comment in jest. My bad. Very good team, and easily the best small school program most years and capable of beating some top large school programs a lot of the time -- but I just don't believe will prove to be #2 this season.

Regarding Grant Union, after seeing their performance against Davis on FRI (who I realize is supposed to be much improved from 6-5 last season and 0-10 the season before), they don't look ready for their schedule.

Having said that, the first few games can often be a bit deceiving (remember Jesuit-Granite Bay last year?) and perhaps the Pacers will be able to right the ship.

I don't care if the Pacers go 0-10. I'll never criticize a program with their history, stature and talent for over-scheduling. I mean, we as fans often criticize coaches and programs for not challenging themselves enough. Folsom got that rap for many years. So I just can't criticize the Pacers or any long standing area power for aggressive scheduling. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

As Casey Taylor of Capital Christan/Del Oro has proved over the years, you can take big losses in preseason and still come out smelling like a rose at the end of the season. I realize the playoff qualifications have changed a bit, but still.

Lastly, despite the talent in the CS, the Pacers track record against Fresno/Bakersfield programs has been pretty good.

Agreed on CC. Sorry, I didn't realize you made the comment in jest. My bad. Very good team, and easily the best small school program most years and capable of beating some top large school programs a lot of the time -- but I just don't believe will prove to be #2 this season.

Regarding Grant Union, after seeing their performance against Davis on FRI (who I realize is supposed to be much improved from 6-5 last season and 0-10 the season before), they don't look ready for their schedule.

Having said that, the first few games can often be a bit deceiving (remember Jesuit-Granite Bay last year?) and perhaps the Pacers will be able to right the ship.

I don't care if the Pacers go 0-10. I'll never criticize a program with their history, stature and talent for over-scheduling. I mean, we as fans often criticize coaches and programs for not challenging themselves enough. Folsom got that rap for many years. So I just can't criticize the Pacers or any long standing area power for aggressive scheduling. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

As Casey Taylor of Capital Christan/Del Oro has proved over the years, you can take big losses in preseason and still come out smelling like a rose at the end of the season. I realize the playoff qualifications have changed a bit, but still.

Lastly, despite the talent in the CS, the Pacers track record against Fresno/Bakersfield programs has been pretty good.

Al states that they are not as big or quick as years before and with their play calling that relies heavily on dominate line and rb play games can get out of hand quickly if they can’t match scoring. In 2 years I’d expect grant to be really good given they have the best youth team in the area playing jv now and their jv team has a more forward thinking coaching staff. For grant it’s about keeping their talent and modernizing a little if you watched them in the sfl you’ve notice their size and talent is sfl level but offensive and defensive schemes are outdated. If coach al hangs it up after the year grant can be great again people forget losing Reginald Harris was a big blow he was did a lot to get grant national attention he wanted to play whoever wherever. He’s on st Thomas Aquinas coaching staff so I know finally getting a shot at playing dls must’ve felt good..

Agree it gets a little sticky when you have a program like Folsom that seems to not want to challenge themselves and a team like Grant that does. Also, I agree that Grant playing such a tough pre-season schedule can pay big dividends at the end of the season for them. I just hope they can get back to the winning ways of years past. Good stuff!

Al states that they are not as big or quick as years before and with their play calling that relies heavily on dominate line and rb play games can get out of hand quickly if they can’t match scoring. In 2 years I’d expect grant to be really good given they have the best youth team in the area playing jv now and their jv team has a more forward thinking coaching staff. For grant it’s about keeping their talent and modernizing a little if you watched them in the sfl you’ve notice their size and talent is sfl level but offensive and defensive schemes are outdated. If coach al hangs it up after the year grant can be great again people forget losing Reginald Harris was a big blow he was did a lot to get grant national attention he wanted to play whoever wherever. He’s on st Thomas Aquinas coaching staff so I know finally getting a shot at playing dls must’ve felt good..
I tell you that cat Reggie reminds me of myself. A lot of energy and a no nonsense approach to the game. I remember first meeting him at a football clinic in Reno. Then I ran into him a few times at the Nike combines and camps at Stanford. Great guy and coach and I'm definitely sure Grant misses his unmatched energy and off the chart details of the game.

Agree it gets a little sticky when you have a program like Folsom that seems to not want to challenge themselves and a team like Grant that does. Also, I agree that Grant playing such a tough pre-season schedule can pay big dividends at the end of the season for them. I just hope they can get back to the winning ways of years past. Good stuff!

It won’t be this year. Coach al has been there for 40+ years his way isn’t winning anymore he hasn’t had a big back to just pound it away. He has 2 d1 linemen and like every year I’d bet they both play on the same side of the line and the ball is going right behind them. Mix in a fade,slant or hitch. That’s been their plays for 20+ years it’s hard to showcase your talent when the other teams know what’s coming. Al has ran away a lot of good coaches and he’s finally feeling the blow. What grant is now is Als doing.

people forget losing Reginald Harris was a big blow he was did a lot to get grant national attention he wanted to play whoever wherever. He’s on st Thomas Aquinas coaching staff so I know finally getting a shot at playing dls must’ve felt good..

It's never been lost upon me. I've said many times before that Grant's decline coincided with Reggie's departure. I know that there are other factors, but losing him was probably the biggest. He and Coach AL formed a successful tandem. Both were great at reaching and motivating the types of kids that went through their program.

Reggie lived out in my neck of the woods and I had several conversations w/ him at my local watering hole over the years. He's a bright guy and IMO a tremendous defensive coach.

Reactions: forgotemail
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT