ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches question

HereWeGo2019

Rookie
Aug 16, 2015
I'm hearing dramatic ranges in rules/philosophies for Summer/Fall Camps from section to section and school to school to some extent. I'm Just wondering how you are all adapting to the limitations put on coaches for time on the field during August, with an early start date of Aug 17? Each section has its own set of rules and every coach has his own sets of ideas/philosophies.

In our program we're limited to 10 hours per week of organized workouts. Structured however we feel fit. We're making the best of it, but I'm still really curious if we are in line with 2018 Industry Standards (in California). For the record, we feel that we are ahead and the feeling is that my particular roster is ready (for the X's and O's ) if you dont include adaptive training with gear/hitting/conditioning. At least last year we had 1 more week to condition and adapt the bodies to the game. Im worried that the early start time is going to hinder us and possibly see cause us to see a higher injury rate.

So,
What section are you in?
What kind of practice schedule are you keeping right now? (hours on the field/weight room).
Do you train full gear or Shells?
How long have you been in pads?
When is/was your first day of hitting?
Is your program participating in a Live Scrimmage or Jamboree in 2018 or did you cut it to adapt to the early start?
Do you feel handcuffed or do you think the current training environment allowed by law is beneficial?

First, I will say that this is not the right site to contact coaches. There are a few on here very casually, but this is an open message board. Most coaches that I know stay away from the insane chatter located on these pages and don't really care what is posted by the 'knowledgeable' posters. ;) (Knowledgeable = Strong opinions, but very little listening and actual comprehension).

Second, I can only comment on the rules in the SJS. Everyone is adapting to the new rules. Since last week was week 1 of 'fall' practice, the information is a little thin when trying to look at more than a single program.

As for what teams do, there are limits listed for the SJS. Teams generally follow what is prescribed by the section. For example, the first two days are strictly helmets and days 3-5 shoulder pads can be added. I think 98% of the SJS teams did exactly that.

Pads don't come on until day 6. That is TODAY. And I think you will find nearly every team practices in pads today.

Almost every team trains in full pads to get acclimatized to the gear (even if they don't have contact). However, most colleges and good high school programs conduct many/most of their practices without contact. It is a significant help to learn to practice without tackling to the ground and/or having a pre-determined winner. Emphasizing movement and feet is a great way to improve.

I think virtually every high school team will be scrimmaging. Certainly no one cut it due to the date being moved up.

Every coach wants more liberal rules when it comes to practice and contact. But I don't think it matters. The rules are what they are. Where I see the biggest problem is when you have admin that misinterprets the rules to contain restrictions and limits that are simply not there.

Reactions: coachlittle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT