ADVERTISEMENT

Corner Bakery Showdown Jan. 24 (Bentley)

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Due to SATs in Stockton that morning, there's been a slight change in the schedule. Thanks to the cooperative coaches involved ...

Jan. 24, 2015

10:30: Campolindo vs. Encinal
12: Heritage vs. St. Mary's Berkeley
1:30: Clayton Valley vs. Castro Valley
3:30: Presentation vs. Brookside Christian
5: Carondelet vs. Pinewood
6:30: Miramonte vs. Berkeley
8: Pinole Valley vs. Alameda
(First team listed is home team, which will wear white and supply official scorer)

To Jazz or whoever ...

We are looking for an athletic trainer to staff both the Showdown Jan. 24 and Showcase Jan. 31. We will pay the usual rate.

Contact me at clayk@fullcourt.com.

Clay
As it turns out...you were right!!!!
we don't want MM to play Brookside
because it might hurt Brookside's ranking
if Brookside beat them!!!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Shameless self promotion ...

Jan. 24, 2015

10:30: Campolindo vs. Encinal
12: Heritage vs. St. Mary's Berkeley
1:30: Clayton Valley vs. Castro Valley
3:30: Presentation vs. Brookside Christian
5: Carondelet vs. Pinewood
6:30: Miramonte vs. Berkeley
8: Pinole Valley vs. Alameda

Note one time change due to SATs: Brookside Christian now plays Presentation at 3:30.

At Bentley School, 1000 Upper Happy Valley Road, Lafayette. $10 and $5.

There will be concessions.

Is HS Cube streaming any games? I know Pat has done at least a few games the last few years.

Ol'…Layer,

It's not fair for me to comment on it because of my knack for setting point spreads. But I will give you two keys. Stay out of foul trouble. The team that makes the most foul shots will have an advantage. Key number two is player rotation. Because it will be a tough battle players will get winded and possibly in foul trouble. This is where preparing your bench players to be confident and ready will pay off.

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/21 1:07 PM by Paytc

I think the three-point differential will be key. Both teams rely on three-pointers, Pinewood a little more so from what I've seen, but if one team is hot and the other isn't, that could easily decide the game.

Three point shooting success is an interesting observation. Pinewood threes stopped dropping in the 4th qtr v. Miramonte and that was a key factor.

Paytc, I agree foul trouble could play a role. I don't know depth of Pinewood, but I wouldn't want to see key Carondelet players have their minutes limited due to foul trouble.

Don't give up on the Jackets. Coming off a nice win last week and a chance to redeem ourselves against Miramonte. We are a much better team now.

Carondelet beat us with relative ease but I would not say they are team loaded with depth. Big games require more minutes out of the starters and key reserves.

Enmam13, glad to hear Berkeley is making strides. You have a young team, and have played a tough schedule. I hope they continue to come together. My daughter at Clet and has been going head to head against your PG since 6th grade. Lots of good battles.

Ol…Layer,

I think I made a pretty good call on the two keys to victory in the Pinewood vs Carondelet game. Fouls and player rotation.

The biggest key was player rotation and bench production. Kelly Sopak,Sue Phillips,Tom Gonsalves, and Doc Scheppler do a fine job preparing their bench players. If there was a glaring advantage it was Pinewood's depth and the rotation kept their players fresh. The two young freshman from Pinewood Stella and Brianna allowed Pinewood to rest key players without skipping a beat. They actually may have even increased the lead with their bench players.

Carondelet did battle back and the game was a bit closer than the final score. Knowing there were injuries to a couple of key players, Carondelet can hold their heads high despite the setback. That is by no means meant to take away from the fine effort displayed by Pinewood's players and coaching staff. Two good teams were on display. The effort was good from both teams.

Today, Pinewood just appeared to be the deeper team.

"The biggest key was player rotation and bench production. Kelly Sopak,Sue Phillips,Tom Gonsalves, and Doc Scheppler do a fine job preparing their bench players."

The thing that a lot of people don't understand is that a lot of the bench players on many of the teams of coaches you previously mentioned are far better than starters on other teams. It's easy to prepare for games when the basketball IQ of these players are out of this world. I've said this before and I'll say this again...Go to a public school and build from the ground up. Sopak was instant with the influx of AAU kids so in my mind, doesn't really count. Coaches like Monte Vista, Mission (San Jose), Alameda high school are real coaches that just coach whoever they get and are pretty successful.

Norcal Fan,

I think we both stated the facts.In the Carondelet vs Pinewood game, Pinewood's bench out performed Carondelet's.

Both Pinewood and Carondelet have quality talent, but they don't necessarily manage the talent the same. I don't know every coach or even many of the high school coaches. But I do know the ones I named are some of the best in this area.

Yes many of the players that are attracted to good programs will tend to be better than less successful programs. But regardless to that, there are many teams(successful programs and not) with talented young players sitting on the bench because of politics and selfish egos.

And coaches that have enough courage to play talented young players deserve the recognition. It takes some coaching talent to be able to put the right combination of players on the floor together.

In my opinion,a great coach is one with the ability to do more with less. I didn't say any of the coaches I mentioned were great coaches, or not. I will leave that up to each individual with their own mind to judge them for themselves.

In regard to Sopak having an influx of AAU kids, he still has to manage them and create the proper combinations to help them succeed. Take last year as an example, not mentioning any names, but there were a few very talented teams that miserably under achieved because of insufficient coaching.

And of course there are many quality coaches out there doing a good job with less talented players. This is my first year getting an up close look into girls high school basketball. So feel free to voice your opinion on some of the quality coaches you're aware of.

Respectfully,

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/25 10:39 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 1/25 10:54 AM by Paytc

Norcal_Fan you are right but tell me this in big games how many teams go deeper then 3 with bench players. Most teams will run 6 to 7 players the whole game. So teams can prepare their bench but they wont play in the big games. The players they prepare most play in league games where hey have an opportunity to try to break through the top 7 in most teams. They most preparing the bench for the next year. That's is the honest way of saying the prepare their bench!!!! Why people just don't be honest with themselves nothing wrong with preparing for the next year when teams lose their top 7 on he team.

Paytc, I appreciate your perspective, however I don't agree with the value you place on player rotation. I never heard anyone claim their key to success being player rotation. In fact, I think too much rotation reduces efficiency and effectiveness. Unless, otherwise equal, and there are really no equals, you need a short bench in playoff caliber games. Player rotation is a beautiful thing in blow out games.

In the Pinewood v. Carondelet game both teams had the same number of girls score in the game, seven, and Carondelet played 10 girls. In big games you gotta ride the horses that get you to the big stage. You saw that late in the game where some girls, although fatigued, took their game to the next level. This happened with players on both teams. In fact, Pinewoods PG scored most of her points, 7 of 12, in the last 90 seconds of the game at the line shooting free throws. That was clutch.

That's why I always say it's better to be on team where you will play, as opposed to being on a higher level team and spend much of your time on the bench. Even playing in lower level games, JV v. Var, will better prepare you for those moments when the stakes are highest.

I hope you can appreciate diversity of thought.

Ol Brick Layer,

That is the beauty in the world... different viewpoints and perspectives. I respectfully disagree with part of what you are saying.
I don't like to generalize because I don't see life being a taped event. I think you need to consider each circumstance individually. I can agree, limiting the number you rotate is usually best, but Carondelet was down a few key pieces. They needed to get a spark from someone. Makayla was only 60% healthy. And Cast provided the best bench spark with two 3's too late in the game.

Even though you may disagree the freshman on Pinewood and Carondelet's freshman Maaeva all played big in the game.

I also think that the player rotation( even though I agree your daughter had a very gutsy performance) was the biggest factor.
They were the better team that day and the rotation was a big part of that. While your daughter was the game's high scorer they had more players who scored,rebounded and contributed then Carondelet had. That was the difference. They had balanced contribution.

As far as being on a team where you play…. who determines which underclass players are politically correct and aligned to get the opportunity to play? And are they always right?

I think again you have to thoroughly consider each player's situation to know whether they would benefit more by playing on jv or practicing and playing even a small amount of minutes on varsity.

Each kid is blessed differently and have different personalities and developmental needs. If your thought was so correct then Kobe Bryant deciding to turn pro at age 17 was a total mistake. No, I think Kobe was an exception to the rule and was ready to turn pro. Sure he may or may not have been better off turning pro at 17? But the point is everyone is blessed differently.

And of course, Michael Jordan was not permitted to play on varsity until he was in the 11th grade. My friend Chill played against him in high school and could contest MJ was ready to play varsity in the 8th grade. But politics prevented him from doing so. Just because something is politically correct or popular doesn't always make it right. We all know in hind site that Mike would turn out to be one of the best players in the history of the game. They should have allowed him to play varsity early. He was better than most of the varsity players were.

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/25 10:32 AM by Paytc

Payed, take a look at the box score, the two teams had the exact same number of girls scoring, seven, and C-let's scoring was much more balanced (Rathbun and Dwiggins 7, cast and Savio 6, Cruz 5). Not sure I understand the "politically correct" reference, but I can be pretty dense sometimes. Our coach was very generous in placing 15 young ladies on varsity, and now has the unenviable task of trying to find playing time for all. Again, I'm not sure how politics plays into it but I would not have that many girls on one team. What exactly would you do differently? My recommendation in big games is plan to play only your best eight, politics aside, and if circumstances develop adjust from there. No politics.

Ol Brick Layer,

First off I do agree that 15 players was too many.However; many have been out hurt, so it's really about11/12 players.

What would I do differently?

First, I would allow the players to get game time minutes to see who are my practice type players and who play well under pressure.

Then I would start to figuring out creative combinations to help prevent my team from having too many flat games. There would be times when I would go small for quickness and go big perhaps in some half court setting?

You would see me put 3 guards on the floor in some games and certain situations. I would not coach the same in every game because every game presents different matchup problems. I would be prepared to make adjustments when need be. I would recognize talent because it doesn't take me very long to recognize it.

Politically correct means, trying to please every one and/or having a bias relationship. I say do what you feel is right even if it's not always popular.It may not always be the same.

As far as your best eight goes that would be great if it were truly your best 8. But when you have a few of your so call best 8 sidelined on the bench there may be a new best 8. There are also games where your so call best players are lost,in over their heads, or can't throw a rock in the ocean. So I'd be prepared for those days too. No player on Carondelet is a better scorer than Kobe, or shoots better than Ray Allen. And both Kobe and Ray allen have had bad games.

Now notice the timing of when the players you have listed scored their points. Only one was a back up player and she scored her 6 points on two back to back late 4th quarter 3's. While Pinewoods backup players scored, rebounded, and applied massive defense etc… from the very moment they entered the game. Again I think it is fair to say they were the better team on that day. And their rotation played a big part in that in my opinion. Just my perspective on the outside looking in.

"Sometimes it's hard to see the picture when your in the frame", Les Brown

Your friend,

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/25 11:34 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 1/25 2:36 PM by Paytc

This post was edited on 1/26 7:05 AM by Paytc

This post was edited on 1/26 7:08 AM by Paytc

Pinewood was allowed to stay in the comfort zone early and through the first 3 quarters. CLET struggled generating offense which further put them on their heels defensively. When CLET got out the zone, and changed the pace of the game it allowed them to get in transition and get some easy buckets, also took pinewood out of their comfort zone. Pinewood looked more poised and seasoned . The fouls and officiating was fair. There were a few bad calls and missed calls both ways, the officials weren't a factor in the game. Some refs are bad some are good...they make mistakes just like the coaches and the players. Refs are your mailmen, your accountant, and your bus drivers, not guys sitting in ref camps 8 hours a day waiting to ref your kids game. Complaining about them is pointless, and a waste of energy.

Side note..... Brookside isn't better than MM, Pinewood, nor CLET. McDonald is amazing but can't beat any of those teams without more support from other players on the team...

Ol Brick Layer,

Trust me when I tell you this….

I want to see the Carondelet seniors go out as champions. And I know the impact talented players can have on a team when there is no player hating and in securities. When the selfish ego factor is no longer a factor. I believe there are a few adjustments that can be made to totally catch those who think they have Carondelet figured out slipping.

If you falsely believe Carondelet is hitting on all cylinders you are mistaken. There is much more to tap into. First and foremost the team will either have to get healthy or learn how to succeed with what remains. Whether it's the open division or division 2 Carondelet will need to step up its overall game to succeed as a team.

Paytc

NinoBrown

In your comments saying Brookside dont have what ????? I think your one of the haters ?!?! McDonald makes everbody on her team better thats what great players do ???? just like MM has Sabrina !!!! so why hate on Brookside they do have 2 D-1 players..... i Guess she pass to herself defend by herself practice by herself ??? the record 16-2 you have to give them some credit...... as a team ??? when you have a great player on a team its still called TEAM
you and the rest of the HATERS ON THIS BLOG

This post was edited on 1/26 11:45 AM by luvthegame21

Politically correct also is when something or some one is automatically accepted as right even though it/they my not have been challenged. Or it may not actually be right just because the powers that be say it is right. No unwarranted or bias favoritism.

We all know politicians and people with power who very often abuse their power, when there are no checks and balances in place.

My soon to be released book "Knock the devil out" is the defensive book designed to address the haters. And the insecure folks who abuse their power. K.T.D.O. will help you raise your self esteem.

Win Anyway
is designed to help you put your offense to work once you get all the haters out of the way.

In the game of life, as in basketball, it's best to have a good defense as well as a good offense.

Usually when things are equal, a better offense will beat a good defense. But it is best to have both in your tool set.

Balance is the key to harmony. Harmony is true security. I think we all should strive towards having harmony in our lives.

Paytc

This post was edited on 1/26 6:21 AM by Paytc

Hating? I'm praising the girl for playing at such a high level. I have an opinion. I said to beat those teams her teammates have to do more. And at times it does look like she's playing by herself. Her intensity level is so much higher than anyone else on the floor on either team. 16-2 yes with 2 quality wins. Yes McDonald makes them better, yes Sabrina makes them better but in order to beat top teams someone besides McDonald will have to play at that high level.just like MM has to have someone else score besides Sabrina. I couldn't be any more unbiased to any of these teams or their players, they all have major flaws which is what makes this season so fun to watch. Hater never, honest always. Hating is the most overused terms, it just means you done agree with me.

Ninobrown

So I guess playing SMB 2 times , Berkley 3 times and Pinewood at home is quality wins real. Pinewood lost at close game at MM wander if the same refs where there like the last Berkley game. I give them quality loses Konawaena and Mater Dei 67-45 the work on a different offense the whole 2nd half. What team have MM play with speed like Salesian because in my opinion they would beat MM any where but at MM home. As I looked at the schedule Brookside play all there games on the road this year and to be 16-2 what other team plays away games and have a record like that. And lets talk about quality wins, if I remember right Brookside coach put on Norcalprep that if anyone has a game free that they will take on all comes. But I seen no one want to take chance and play them. In my opinion seem like all these teams are scared of the unknown or don't have film on Brookside. We know some coaches need film on teams to coach against them. We will see in the Open if they let Brookside in, then what are you going to say then. All talk will be laid to rest and then teams will have to respect the unknown not the great hype put on some of these teams I seen on Saturday.
This post was edited on 1/26 11:07 AM by ballersdreams

Yes the 2 SMB wins, 2 Berkeley, and pinewood win were good wins, do you disagree? Mm hasn't played any teams like Salesian , but mm would beat Salesian because they are too structured to lose to Salesian. Mitty beat Salesian easily but I think Brookside beats Mitty. Styles styles styles....Brookside would be a great game with mm it would be a great contrast of styles and would be great to watch. I think mm wins right now but who knows, that's my opinion. Who's going to play Brookside at home, have you seen their gym? And most top teams play a lot of road and neutral court games outside of league games. When did coach Wilburn post about needing a game ? Most teams schedules are completed in April, he got the job late and didn't get a chance to schedule early like other programs. What hype, all of these teams we discuss can all beat each other, no team is amazing outside SMS and even they can be beaten, which they have been. What great hype is there? Did you think Brookside played well on Saturday? Is watching film a bad thing, isn't that part of coaching ? And you are acting like I'm a fan, I am not a fan of any of these teams out here, I'm watching the games and forming opinion about what I see.

I would have loved to have seen Brookside and Miramonte play in the shootout but it didn't happen. As great as McDonald is, and with all that size with her, I still don't think that they matchup well with the way that Miramonte plays. Brookside may go 6 deep, but that just means 6 of the 8 play, not all of that 6 would start at other places. You say Miramonte hasn't seen teams with speed like a Salesian, I can argue that top to bottom SMB's team speed is pretty comparable to Salesian if not faster. Salesian had to change to that pressing and trapping style because they have NO size what so ever, and to Pezzola's credit, he has them playing well. I like Brookside. I love McDonald's game. I respect their coach. As much parity is involved I just think that that style of play would be tough to try to slow down Miramonte with that 6. Not a hater, definitely not a Miramonte fan, just a random cat who watches a ton of hoop. I hope brookside gets their shot in the open. They have the resume to make it (I think). That Berkeley loss hurts them seeding wise. I would love to see them get their shot.

What I seen Saturday was different then the Salesian game. It seem like Brookside lives to play in the big games because the it looks like the love the big stage and play better on the stage. They have 3 D1 player commits and the school are big name school UOP FAU and UW I call all them school the stage. They also have role plays that have grown over the season since the last time is seen them. The 3 games I seen never seen them screaming at each other at all. In my opinion they are a dangerous team because of the unknown. As I look at Maxprep the other starters for Brookside are 1 sophomore and 2 freshman that have been battle test all ready this year. The 3 youngers are almost averaging 20 points and 20 rebounds a game together that's good support to any team. So with a mixture of upper and low classmen works for them very well and they are a very humble team. Brookside is a team that beat team inside out that's why all the open 3's are their for them all the time. That's old school basketball and the are very tall to alter other teams 3's. Some people thing most tall teams are slow but this team is very fast from 1 to 5 spot on the floor. That's why I think they are a dangerous team and seem like they are very well condition because they have to be with only 8 players on the team. Love to see the match first round in the open MM vs Brookside would be a great game.
This post was edited on 1/26 12:44 PM by ballersdreams

I think you hit on the head: That would be a great game.

But so will also any first-round matchup in NorCals, as there are a lot of interesting teams with talent, but as pointed out, most of them are flawed in some manner.

Sooner or later, it will all be settled on the floor ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT