ADVERTISEMENT

Danville Prep School Hiring a Coach

Athenian had a couple good teams a while ago, but with the whole BCL, you just have to hope that a couple good basketball players decide to go to school there. Otherwise, you get some girls looking to show a varsity sport on their college application, and a few who sort of like the game but haven't played much.

If you work really hard on finding fifth and sixth graders in private schools in the area, you might reap the rewards four or five years from now. It doesn't take much to be competitive at that level, but even "not much" is hard to come by.

A place like this would be a great place for a coach who is just getting into the coaching game. A place where there is no high expectations or pressures coaching at the high school level or following a great coach who left the school after the talent is gone and you get the rebuilding process and admin expect you to win right away. We had to start somewhere. Again, a great place to begin your coaching career.

No question. You get a few years to learn the difference between JV and varsity, or assistant and head.

And you can work out your own system with no pressure.

You also quickly realize how important talent is, and how much smarter you are when you have good players.

a rookie coach with no talent is an automatic blueprint of a 2 year gig and this aint for me result. losing and losing a lot will make you think 4k a season aint worth your time

Reactions: ClayK
Good points. But if you keep people happy at that level, you can stay longer -- if you can handle it. The big positive, though, is that you will see lots of improvement if you focus on fundamentals. (But don't expect to run any plays ...)

COACHING YEARS:

Thats the question: to be or not to be? All points are valid on the thread. But what I would add is for a coach that's been in the game, won at the highest level or consistently compete year in and year out would not be attracted to this type of job. They would not want to waste whatever "coaching years they got left" But a coach who is excited about giving back and making an impact and challenging themselves to be able to teach a group of youth could spend a few coaching years at a job like this. The goal is to evolve. So, after you have spent 2 or 3 years learning and watching and growing the program to the furthest possible status, given the talent and the popularity of the sport such as this, will determine your next move. I've learned the old cliche statement. You may not win a league title, section title or a state title at a job like the one we are talking about, but leave the program better than you found it. Like @ankleassassin said, the money will never be worth the time, blood sweat tears, divorces, lack of personal family time that we have to go through to do what we love LOL But at some jobs at least you can get a new pair of shoes and have a little change to spare. At other schools as soon as you sneeze your stipend is gone at the high school level LOL

Reactions: ClayK
That's a great post, Dorvez. You can be a positive influence at a school that values winning and get dumped because you get there when the talent isn't. You can teach the game and be a positive influence at a school that's not interested in winning (at least on the court) and stay there for a long time.

There have been some BCL coaches -- Mike Talps at Head-Royce is a great example -- who have stayed at that level for a long time, been successful on and off the court, and enjoyed their time. Others would go crazy because of the lack of raw talent and commitment.

I enjoyed my time at Bentley but I wouldn't do it again.

Athenian is in Danville, but way off the freeway at the foot of Mt. Diablo. It's very expensive ($40,000+) and has boarding students who live on campus.

The gym is nice, though a little dark, and there's lot of space in a fairly bucolic setting.

Their boys hoop team has been pretty decent for the last couple years, I think making a little playoff noise in a lower division, I think 4 or 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT