ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle and Riordan at the Coastal Catholic Classic in LA today

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
DLS and Riordan will be playing in the inaugural Coastal Catholic Classic. All games will be streamed on the NFHS network.
Games:
12:00 – NOTRE DAME vs LOUISVILLE (girls)

1:30 – ST BERNARDS vs SAN JOAQUIN MEMORIAL

3:00 – BISHOP GORMAN vs ARCHBISHOP RIORDAN

4:30 – ST AUGUSTINE vs LOYOLA

6:00 – MATER DEI vs BOSCO

7:30 – NOTRE DAME vs DE LA SALLE

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/affiliates/socal-sports-productions

Reactions: coachlittle
that’s a huge win for Riordan

Gorman still has a chance to win a state championship this year in Nevada

Curtin surely sprouted some grey hairs as this game should not have been close. Unforced turnovers, terrible shot clock management up 7 under 2 minutes in regulation and throughout the game. Sensley was out of control a number of times and hoisting 3s from NBA range when he should have passed it around. Hilman was the best player on the floor and bailed out the Crusaders. BG had Kobe Bryant's nephew on the team and he was unstoppable. Rencher fouled out late 4th, bench played a big part in holding off the Gaels. Tshamala was suited up but did not play. Emeneke was not suited up but on the bench along with Tommy Tofi. A teachable moment.

Last edited:
Curtin surely sprouted some grey hairs as this game should not have been close. Unforced turnovers, terrible shot clock management up 7 under 2 minutes in regulation and throughout the game. Sensley was out of control a number of times and hoisting 3s from NBA range when he should have passed it around. Hilman was the best player on the floor and bailed out the Crusaders. BG had Kobe Bryant's nephew on the team and he was unstoppable. A teachable moment.
Damn imagine if Kobe was alive to mentor him. I just looked him up, it’s his sisters kid. 6’3 sophomore. Will be a kid to watch

Yet Gorman plays a loaded out of state schedule like their football program. What’s your point?

Gorman in basketball is kinda like De La Salle in football. Some years they are better than others, but every year they put a product good enough to get them far in every playoff and also have the ability to play National competition

Gorman in basketball is kinda like De La Salle in football. Some years they are better than others, but every year they put a product good enough to get them far in every playoff and also have the ability to play National competition
They also have a recruiting throttle for the city of Vegas. They should never lose.

Reactions: MC415 and ayalar09
I am not sure how you can say that. From 2021 and previous they won 9 state titles in a row and in 2022 it was as equal as when Jeremy Lin beat Mater Dei or when St Francis beat Dominquez of Compton. Paulo Alto and St Francis has no buisness winning those games, and neither did Liberty in 2022. Last year was BG’s first opponent that everyone knew would give them a game.

I am not sure how you can say that. From 2021 and previous they won 9 state titles in a row and in 2022 it was as equal as when Jeremy Lin beat Mater Dei or when St Francis beat Dominquez of Compton. Paulo Alto and St Francis has no buisness winning those games, and neither did Liberty in 2022. Last year was BG’s first opponent that everyone knew would give them a game.
I thought Coronado was better than both last year. When they came to O Dowd in November they looked amazing

I thought Coronado was better than both last year. When they came to O Dowd in November they looked amazing
Coronado doesn’t have the history that Bishop Gorman has.

I remember hearing about Gorman years ago when a young man by the name of Shabazz Muhammed played for them.

He was a baaaaaaad man at Gorman

Yet Gorman plays a loaded out of state schedule like their football program. What’s your point?
My point is exactly what I said . What does playing out of state schedule have anything to do with winning a NEVADA state championship of 12 teams. To win a state championship in Nevada you come in 1st or second in your league tourney. Then 1st and second of south plays 1st and second of north. Not any big accomplishment like Ayalar was trying to portray.
Last year North Number 1 lost to Folsom , vacaville, Laguna creek , woodcreek, Clayton Valley.
North #2 lost to Folsom by 37 , and Vacaville
So winning a Nevada State championship when you recruit kids from all over is not saying much
Gorman has even been picking off some of Sacramento’s best players . Will Mclendon (UCLA) Nevada Gatorade POY from Capital Christian Darrion Williams Texas Tech, James Freeman from Capital both played in Sj’s D1 section title game, and this year have the best athlete from Smedberg JR high (Sheldon feeder ) .

Coronado doesn’t have the history that Bishop Gorman has.

I remember hearing about Gorman years ago when a young man by the name of Shabazz Muhammed played for them.

He was a baaaaaaad man at Gorman
Also lied about his age to play against younger competition. That always catches up eventually

I saw Shabazz play four times when I lived in Oregon. Gorman played in the Les Schwab Invitational in 2010 when Muhammad was a junior. Athletically, he was a man among boys (he turned 18 just before his junior season, so yeah).

Hell of an athlete, not very efficient as a player. He did have three excellent seasons with the Bucks, eventually, so he got better, obviously.

Reactions: ayalar09
My point is exactly what I said . What does playing out of state schedule have anything to do with winning a NEVADA state championship of 12 teams. To win a state championship in Nevada you come in 1st or second in your league tourney. Then 1st and second of south plays 1st and second of north. Not any big accomplishment like Ayalar was trying to portray.
Last year North Number 1 lost to Folsom , vacaville, Laguna creek , woodcreek, Clayton Valley.
So winning a Nevada State championship when you recruit kids from all over is not saying much
Gorman has even been picking off some of Sacramento’s best players . Will Mclendon (UCLA) Nevada Gatorade POY from Capital Christian Darrion Williams Texas Tech, James Freeman from Capital both played in Sj’s D1 section title game, and this year have the best athlete from Smedberg JR high (Sheldon feeder ) .
Agree. NV is a small state with not much competition for a private school. I give credit to Gorman, though, for not settling and playing good programs that are out of state.

Cost of living better in Vegas. Can't blame the family for leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT