ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro forfeits 2018 titles

Limited eligibility with the JV option is saying you cannot play Varsity football period if you choose the JV option. Every AD and HC knows these rules. It is part of being a AD or HC of a High School sport. Also the student-athlete has to be on this list as they have to fill out the required paperwork to participate in a sport when they transfer to a school. Some students are denied because they have transferred to many times etc..

Reactions: Three Bears
From what I gather Del Oro is still going to order a blue section banner as if they actually won it. Nope. It was vacated. It seems like some people think rules don't apply to them.
So, here is the bottom line. They already have the Section banner, they got it the day they beat CC from the section commissioner on the field right after the game. So, no ordering of the blue section banner, or even nor-cal banner for that matter. I was in the gym last night and it was not hanging in the rafters.

I heard the same story....rumor...maybe?

I would think the prudent thing for the Principle/AD to do would be to give the banner back. What happened sucks but those are the rules......

Who's to say they would have beaten Jesuit? Widely said this may have been Jesuits best team ever?

Reactions: Kickingtee18
I heard the same story....rumor...maybe?

I would think the prudent thing for the Principle/AD to do would be to give the banner back. What happened sucks but those are the rules......

Who's to say they would have beaten Jesuit? Widely said this may have been Jesuits best team ever?
The AD needs to take the banner and wipe his arse with it and then hang it back up. If they really ordered the rings they need to overnight them to Jesuit to enjoy for a day and then drop them off at Central Catholic High School permanently.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Not true! Who the hell told you that?
Your not true was very emphatic, you must have some inside info! Either way, they cheated. There needs to be repercussions. They did not follow the rule regardless if the rule is good, bad or indifferent. Typically it is the AD, HC or both that get the brunt of it, sounds like nobody is stepping up and taking responsibility because it was a clerical error! LOL.

Limited eligibility with the JV option is saying you cannot play Varsity football period if you choose the JV option.

And I'm saying that it's a ridiculously stupid rule. If a student-athlete chooses to play JV and complete the season, they'll have missed more 'Varsity' time than had they had chosen to sit out for 30 days. So for that reason, completing the JV season should satisfy the sit out obligation. If a student-athlete wants to be eligible and participate earlier, they need to sit out the 1st 30 days. But they shouldn't have to do both.

Every AD and HC knows these rules. It is part of being a AD or HC of a High School sport.

They absolutely should. And they deserve the penalty they incurred. But that doesn't mean it's not a ridiculous and pointless rule that should be strongly considered for change.

My concern is directed toward the student-athlete, not the school. I don't see why a kid should be double punished for choosing to participate JV for a full season. Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantera-cat
I don't see why a kid should be double punished for choosing to participate JV for a full season.
They aren't punished, they got to play 10 games by their choice. They are a SOPHOMORE on the JV. If they were a JUNIOR or a SENIOR they can't play JV, so they'd sit 5 games and play 5 games. So, you want a SOPHOMORE to play 10 games and then be eligible for playoffs, but a JUNIOR only play 5 games and be eligible? Think about it, the rule is to discourage transferring.

Reactions: WWHS44
Actually a Junior can play JV as well with the new rules in place at the start of this past season. So a Junior would have the JV option as well, but cannot play varsity.

Curious point for me is when did the other school find out about it and were they sitting on it?

Still, rule was broken and punishment needed to be handed down.

I just think there could be malice from the reporting party too

Mallice on reporting party? Bullshit. Complete bullshit.

Guys like Joe Davidson do nothing to investigate misgivings of his "favorite" programs. His rallying cry is "show me proof". The proof is out there. Schools have to police themselves because the CIF is short staffed. They wouldn't know Del Oro cheated if Casa didn't cue them in.

Who cares if DO is pissed at Casa? Quit stealing there kids.

My only issue is when the reporting school knew and when it told the Section.

My belief is there should be little to no lag time between those two events.

I don’t know the exact timeline. Hence why I raised the questions.

And the above discussion has nothing to do with Del Oro. They messed up and now have to deal with it.

the above discussion has nothing to do with Del Oro.
Has everything to do with del oro, they knew the minute they learned Jesuit was a forfeit and realized they did it too. The HC sent a message to parents (see channel 13 news) and blamed the admins. The guy knew, didn't own it, and that's a big issue, no integrity (and if he didn't know, that's incompetence).

Has everything to do with del oro, they knew the minute they learned Jesuit was a forfeit and realized they did it too. The HC sent a message to parents (see channel 13 news) and blamed the admins. The guy knew, didn't own it, and that's a big issue, no integrity (and if he didn't know, that's incompetence).

The above discussion I referenced was about the reporting party which has nothing to do with Del Oro.

Two separate issues.

I thought that was clear if someone read my whole post

Actually a Junior can play JV as well with the new rules in place at the start of this past season. So a Junior would have the JV option as well, but cannot play varsity.

A JR playing JV?? That’s even more ridiculous.
Is there an example of it happening this past year?

I fully admit this is news to me.

A JR playing JV?? That’s even more ridiculous.
Is there an example of it happening this past year?

I fully admit this is news to me.
Junior on JV Logic:

Baseball - You have a strong program and 4 pitchers that are Seniors, you have the talented Junior play JV so he can get reps on the mound..........rare but possible.

Football - 1st year player or safety risk

Junior on JV Logic:

Baseball - You have a strong program and 4 pitchers that are Seniors, you have the talented Junior play JV so he can get reps on the mound..........rare but possible.

Football - 1st year player or safety risk

Sorry, I can’t connect with either of those situations.

What if the player is a talented Soph (in any sport) but isn’t getting playing time on a talented JV team? Can they go down and play frosh?

If the player isn’t good enough to beat out competition at their own level, that’s not a good reason to play down in HS. Not only that, they’d then be taking away time from another player that needs it.

If they’re a 1st year player as a Junior and a safety risk, they flat out shouldn’t be playing. Otherwise, they need to suck it up and compete with players at their own level.

503.5 The Sac-Joaquin Section has set the following classifications for all sports except cross-country, which will have classifications of varsity, junior, sophomore and freshman. a. Varsity - a student in any grade may play varsity athletics. NOTE: a 14 year old needs a waiver to play varsity football
b. Junior Varsity - a freshman, sophomore or junior may participate at the junior varsity level.

Here is the bylaw that started this past season in the SJS. Other sections have already allowed it for some time now.

they need to suck it up and compete with players at their own level.
The rule is in place exactly for the kids who can't "suck it up and compete with players at their own level". After school sports aren't intended for producing D1 scholarships or for only the best athletes in the school. Teaching team cooperation, perseverance and hard work apply to all types, and that means matching kids up to the level that suits them best. Interesting article: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/the-case-against-high-school-sports/309447/

When I hear of a school that has paperwork issues in a situation like this, with so much at stake, it is hard to feel sorry for them. We get transfers that have many issues. Ex: Kid lived with mom, moved with auntie, then with friend, now lives with dad. We have to figure out that trail and submit it to the section and then they tell us what to do with that kid. That's a lot of work, but it is part of the job. However, you are given an exact ruling to each issue. There is nothing left out when the section lets you know because they have to answer parent questions, hence leaving nothing out. That's why it is hard to understand when this happens. It's even harder to understand when people use the "well it was just one play". We have kids that we have had to tell that they cannot play at all, many times due to no fault of their own. No season, no reps, no nothing. That's why it matters. Whether it is a "stupid rule" or not, it's a rule.
We have also heard for years to "call them out if you have evidence". Well, apparently Casa did. So they did. Now they get the "snitch" label, and we wonder where our kids get it from?
And nobody needs to answer to Joe Davidson. He makes no decisions in the section. Whether he has his favorites or not means nothing. Whether he asks you for proof or not means nothing. He reports what happens how he feels. Who cares?
If Casa truly turned DO in, they had a reason. Something happened somewhere along the line. Call it sour grapes, call it whatever you want. They are protecting the sanctity of the rules that they are told to follow. The rules are simple, guys. Follow them or don't, totally up to each school. There are consequences if you don't follow them and get caught.
If you are a coach or an AD, get in the rule book. If you have a question about someone, contact the section. Keep them out of competition until you get an answer.

When I hear of a school that has paperwork issues in a situation like this, with so much at stake, it is hard to feel sorry for them...../QUOTE]Excellent viewpoint and insights, wonder if anything became of those in charge. Seems the school name and players pay the steepest price.
Excellent viewpoint and insights. Wonder if anything became of those in charge, seems the school name and players pay the steepest price.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT