ADVERTISEMENT

Devan Sapp is leaving Mitty

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
2020 shooting guard Devan Sapp is leaving Mitty for First Love Christian Academy in Pennsylvania.

Sapp was the WCAL Player of the Year as a junior and one of the top NorCal prospects in the class.

If it's for better competition and coaching - I'm kinda scratching my head on this one, unless his family is relocating...Mitty's coaching, pre-season and league schedule always presents a great challenge for its players. All the best to the young man.

A terrible move. Moving from a team that's a premiere program in norcal/California, to a fly by night prep school.

Never heard of the prep school. it isn't like it's a Winchendon, Brewster, Bridgton nor even Balboa or Prolific prep.

You go from being a league MVP in toughest league in Norcal to uncertainty. Bad move. Not to mention that Mitty has 4 other D1 prospects with Marcus Greene, Mike Mitchell, Arish and now Nigel Burris. This is a bad move in my opinion.. I hope it works out for him, but this is a serious head scratcher.

A terrible move. Moving from a team that's a premiere program in norcal/California, to a fly by night prep school.

Never heard of the prep school. it isn't like it's a Winchendon, Brewster, Bridgton nor even Balboa or Prolific prep.

You go from being a league MVP in toughest league in Norcal to uncertainty. Bad move. Not to mention that Mitty has 4 other D1 prospects with Marcus Greene, Mike Mitchell, Arish and now Nigel Burris. This is a bad move in my opinion.. I hope it works out for him, but this is a serious head scratcher.
It's not a fly by night prep school, well established . It's the move he and his family wanted to make. The kid has no offers right now playing for the great Mitty. Everyone's road is different , the blue print has shifted for some.

It's not a fly by night prep school, well established . It's the move he and his family wanted to make. The kid has no offers right now playing for the great Mitty. Everyone's road is different , the blue print has shifted for some.
Perhaps he will get the exposure with the East Coast schools. FLCA was ranked 982 nationally by MaxPreps last year. Mitty ranked #323. I’m sure he would have received offers. Again, all the best to Devan Sapp.

There is nothing wrong with the prep school option. Just make sure you go to the right one. And what's the rush. Sapp would've gotten something as the season progressed, in my opinion.

And the worst case scenario. He can go to a legitimate prep school for an additional 5th year, next year. There isnt a rush. And I understand there is no one size fits all solution. But this is a head scratcher. A serious one.

him being the league mvp in the toughest league and no division one offers is the REAL UNCERTAINTY. Go eat young bull... if you know you know

IT doesn't matter what school he attends to receive a scholarship. Do you really think the recruiters care where he plays!! If they want him and he's good enough they will give him an offer. He can play at a C league school and receive a scholarship. Mitty is one of the best basketball schools in the state and in one the best defensive leagues in any league. Grass is always greener to some people.

Does he have no offers because it appears he barely played on the EYBL team he was on? I'd imagine that has more to do with it. I think it's better to play than to be on an EYBL team and barely play.

People quick to judge and we dont even know and its none of our business. We arent columnists and dont have syndicated talking head shows. What if his mom or dad got a job in Pennsylvania that is better opportunity for their family? We dont know and its none of our business. People move. People get new jobs elsewhere. Get over it. Worry about your own lives instead of trying to make this about how dare he leave.

Does he have no offers because it appears he barely played on the EYBL team he was on? I'd imagine that has more to do with it. I think it's better to play than to be on an EYBL team and barely play.
There is a school out there for everyone. I had the pleasure of coaching D. Sapp for two seasons. Good player and family. Everyone wants something different. I do not know what scouts are looking at when they evaluate D Sapp but I know he loves the game and works very hard at it.
He didn't play much on Team Why Not because the team was loaded with talent at his position. It happened here with the Soldiers and some players. It happens. As I referenced earlier, there is a lot going on now with high school players, a lot of people in the kids ears, and parents as well. I hope it all works out for all these student athletes. I know a lot about many situations but to be fair to families, I do not comment on details.

I'm sorry this is a fly by night Prep School. Unless the kids parents are moving to PA, this is a head-scratcher, like others have said.

For comparison sakes, Mitty was ranked 323, Stuart Hall was ranked 498 nationally. This team in Pennsylvania is ranked 982 nationally.

Hes going to go there put up 25-30 ppg and probably get the D1 offer he wants/desires. Problem is he isn't going to go up against 1/2 the competition he would have, had he stayed at Mitty. And I think that hurts him in the long run.

Also sad he won't be able to defend his MVP Trophy. The WCAL just went from a two-horse race, to once again Riordan a heavy favorite IMO.

Bellarmine, Mitty and Riordan still remain as the favorites for the WCAL title. Also, the rest of the WCAL will have a say about it as it’s always a battle every game.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
If he has no D1 offers and his goal is to play D1, him and his family should be looking at other options. It worked out for EJ Neal who went to Balboa Prep for his senior year. Saw he received offers from Brown University and Northern Colorado. So don't be so quick to judge....

If he has no D1 offers and his goal is to play D1, him and his family should be looking at other options. It worked out for EJ Neal who went to Balboa Prep for his senior year. Saw he received offers from Brown University and Northern Colorado. So don't be so quick to judge....

Balboa Prep is in the same league as Trinity Prep and Bella Vista Prep, also playing Hillcrest and other top tier Prep Schools. They play a national schedule.

First Love played one team last year I have heard of before, Roselle Catholic out of NJ.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two, because Balboa would probably wipe the floor with First Love if they ever played each other.

Not comparing schools because I know nothing about Prep schools and which is better than the other. I'm saying that if a kid has a goal and his/her current situation is not helping them reach that goal, than they should be looking at other options. And for this family, they feel it'll help him if he went the prep school route. Just using EJ as an example, because that's what he and his dad told me last summer....EJ had a dream to play D1 and they made the decision to transfer to Balboa and it worked out.

Well could it be he has no offers because coaches dont see him as a D1 prospect at this time? D1 kids kicking back to d2/naia like crazy. And transferring to other d1's. Your going to have to be an above average recruit to get an offer now. Coaches have way to much to choose from before they take a high school kid.

Not comparing schools because I know nothing about Prep schools and which is better than the other. I'm saying that if a kid has a goal and his/her current situation is not helping them reach that goal, than they should be looking at other options. And for this family, they feel it'll help him if he went the prep school route. Just using EJ as an example, because that's what he and his dad told me last summer....EJ had a dream to play D1 and they made the decision to transfer to Balboa and it worked out.

First Love played one team last year I have heard of before, Roselle Catholic out of NJ.

The schedule may not jump at you, but it was more than just roselle. They also played:

-Huntington prep, 19-5, wins vs oak ridge(FL), Teays Valley, Bella Vista Prep
-Kennedy catholic, 21-4, Pennsylvania 6a state champs
-Hamilton Heights, 34-4, 1-1 vs Memphis East, win vs huntington.
-Butchel, 20-8, Ohio Div 2 state semi finalist
-Teays Valley, 24-5, wins vs Oak Hill Academy, Hamilton Heights.

Balboa Prep is in the same league as Trinity Prep and Bella Vista Prep, also playing Hillcrest and other top tier Prep Schools. They play a national schedule.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two, because Balboa would probably wipe the floor with First Love if they ever played each other.
i guess you haven never heard of teams far and away from you means they are all scrubs... i mean i am certain nobody in South Philly has heard of Stuart Hall and that lacrosse player ayalar but you still think highly of both

I'm sorry this is a fly by night Prep School. Unless the kids parents are moving to PA, this is a head-scratcher, like others have said.

For comparison sakes, Mitty was ranked 323, Stuart Hall was ranked 498 nationally. This team in Pennsylvania is ranked 982 nationally.

Hes going to go there put up 25-30 ppg and probably get the D1 offer he wants/desires. Problem is he isn't going to go up against 1/2 the competition he would have, had he stayed at Mitty. And I think that hurts him in the long run.

Also sad he won't be able to defend his MVP Trophy. The WCAL just went from a two-horse race, to once again Riordan a heavy favorite IMO.
498 lol

Reactions: Jaw Knee

Couldn't agree more. Mitty is a great program and school. You are playing against some of the best comp in CA night in and out. This kid is a really good player but its not like he's a sure bet to play D1. I could see him at a Sac State/NAU type school next year but he didn't have to transfer to do that. Shaking my head.....

Reactions: Renard Monroe
  • I have read some recent threads on the subject of my son leaving Mitty and appreciate those that support him with positive inputs. Now allow me to clarify for those who made commitments in a vacuum and apparently don’t understand prep school.

1. First Love Christian has been a established program since 2015 and their record last season was 15-10 meaning they qualified at the national level (not division or state open like CCS or WCAL) for GEICO covered by ESPN. As to their rankings they were ranked nationally 86 in Top 100 prep school rankings as to their players they have 3 in 2020 class 2 committed to very high D1 along with 1 committed to mid major posted on their Twitter, most others already have college offers. So they have a solid short history of production and development of high and middle major basketball prospects.

2. As to “ fly by night” prep I don’t believe they are considered to be this with their 2019-20 current schedule which I cannot release at this time but they will be playing in the same events as oak hill, prolific prep, img and montverde.

Therefore, it’s not the name of the school but the opportunities the school presents. Devan has been selected for scholarship because their coaches believe they can share a common goal to win a national championship. Therefore, Devan has made the decision to play at the elite level of basketball alongside his new first love Christian family to achieve that goal.

3.Tim Kennedy is a great coach with great staff and Mitty a great school. But Devan decided to take another direction for his development as a player in the game he loves to play. He and I thank Mitty for the opportunities afforded him playing with a great group of kids and coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT