ADVERTISEMENT

Diamonds in the rough (non scholly players)

I think Floyd is a good player but is a better fit at a place like Humboldt State or another D2 where he can make an immediate impact. Sure he could play FBS or FCS ball but I think he'll struggle seeing the field. I know that new Sac State RB Coach Lawanson isn't fond of small RB's so I'd bet that Sac State takes a pass on him grades or not.

Alhambra OL/DL Dante Abono has really looked good this season on both sides of the ball. He's listed at 6'6' 240 lbs. on MaxPreps and has a motor and great length. Haven't heard anything about him recruiting wise but he projects as a Left Tackle for me and seems like the kind of player who is 6'6' 280 + lbs after 2 years in a college weight room. @ Bluedog2... what's the scoop on him?

From what I've heard on Abono is that he is going/already has committed to San Jose State

Check out MATT SPEGIALMAN he is the featured back in Half Moon Bays CCS championship team this year also recieved "PAL UTILITY PLAYER OF THE YEAR" this kid never came off the field all season long, he carrys a 4.6 GPA and just got early exceptence to Cal Poly. Look for him as a walk on !!!

Another guy who deserves some recognition is Dallas Martin from Foothill(#10). 6'2 215 Lb starting to receive D1 interest. He's 1st team all EBAL this year and was voted Team Defensive MVP along with dario dondero.

An interesting kid is the running back from Elk Grove -- Robards. He's not getting much attention because he's not particularly big or fast. He is clearly a winner, has good grades (from what I've read) and was very durable.

However, the kid punted better than anybody I've seen in high school. He played every down for elk grove -- literally every down. Running back, DB on defense, kicker, punter. Fantastic athlete. But no recruiting interest yet.

He won't be recruited as a DB, he's probably not fast/big enough for a D1 running back -- but the kid put some hang time on a punt against Folsom that was easily the best I've ever seen in a high school game. Probably not his first choice though.

An example at the other end of the spectrum -- and one that backs up what others have been saying about what the colleges are looking for -- is Ngata from Folsom. He played DE for Folsom this year, is a jr, and already received an offer. He's 6'4", quick, and athletic. The schools see his potential, not what is doing today. And so the offers come.

An interesting kid is the running back from Elk Grove -- Robards. He's not getting much attention because he's not particularly big or fast. He is clearly a winner, has good grades (from what I've read) and was very durable.

However, the kid punted better than anybody I've seen in high school. He played every down for elk grove -- literally every down. Running back, DB on defense, kicker, punter. Fantastic athlete. But no recruiting interest yet.

He won't be recruited as a DB, he's probably not fast/big enough for a D1 running back -- but the kid put some hang time on a punt against Folsom that was easily the best I've ever seen in a high school game. Probably not his first choice though.

An example at the other end of the spectrum -- and one that backs up what others have been saying about what the colleges are looking for -- is Ngata from Folsom. He played DE for Folsom this year, is a jr, and already received an offer. He's 6'4", quick, and athletic. The schools see his potential, not what is doing today. And so the offers come.

I could be wrong but it is my understanding Robards is headed to UOP on a baseball scholarship. Maybe thats why football schools have shied away??

Every year this type of thread makes me shake my head. It is just a shame the NCAA forced the hand of D2 schools via Title IX and the decision to force all the programs up to DI if you had another sport competing at that level. So many programs were shut down. The old D2 leagues NCAC and CCAC with Cal Poly, UC Davis, St. Mary's, Chico, Sac State, etc... were great landing spots for these kids. So many more kids would be able to play in college if the D2 schools still had programs

I can't believe no one has mentioned Mason Randall. The kid is a stud athlete, a three year starter for Sacred Heart Prep, who has lead his team to 3 CCS Championships, including an Open Division ring (13-0), 2 state title games and has an overall record of 37-5. The kid shines in a primarily run oriented offense. Some of his throws on the run are some of the best balls I have ever seen a HS QB make. He is also very elusive in the pocket, sensing pressuring and has the ability to get out of sticky situations and put his head down for those few extra yards. He's excellent with timing patterns showing off great footwork, and can throw the deep ball on a dime. He has also shown his ability to lead late game drives (Salinas last year 99 yards in under two minutes, and Riordan this year in a CCS Championship Game). I am really not sure how he has no offer, any college would be lucky to have him.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1777587/mason-randall

Check out senior year games and last year.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Mason Randall. The kid is a stud athlete, a three year starter for Sacred Heart Prep, who has lead his team to 3 CCS Championships, including an Open Division ring (13-0), 2 state title games and has an overall record of 37-5. The kid shines in a primarily run oriented offense. Some of his throws on the run are some of the best balls I have ever seen a HS QB make. He is also very elusive in the pocket, sensing pressuring and has the ability to get out of sticky situations and put his head down for those few extra yards. He's excellent with timing patterns showing off great footwork, and can throw the deep ball on a dime. He has also shown his ability to lead late game drives (Salinas last year 99 yards in under two minutes, and Riordan this year in a CCS Championship Game). I am really not sure how he has no offer, any college would be lucky to have him.

About the only negative I can find on this kid is his 5.35 forty time, which for a dual threat QB is a bit slow. Other than that I like what I see.

Reactions: 2016chd

Ask Grant if this kid is fast or consumes oaks, one of the faster kids in the SJS this season. He is getting school paid for that is all that really matters, he is more than capable of playing safety at the next level or even receiver

I doubt he will be a QB prospect for Bama at 5'10". Coker's 6'5" (graduating) then a 6'3" Jr and two 6'5" frosh. He'll RS, then maybe CB. So many guys to get through to start in the SEC is a daunting task. Some guys are okay with that (like the former Spartan QB in the Big 10) whereas others go mid-major and PT starts second year. Roll Tide!

Reactions: observer22
How does a kid like Sutter Lindberg slip through the cracks after a 1000 yard season...he' 6'4'' and has CREW legs.... if Im a UC DAVIS type, I sleep over at the kids house, climb trees, watch Netflix and shoot hoops in his backyard until he commits.

Reactions: Bubba3000
It is easy to say (and I'm guilty of it) that coaches don't do a good job of this or that when evaluating. Overall, their knowledge of the game and what it takes to succeed at their level is far superior to mine.

All that said, I do think they get swayed into a player that "looks the part" or has overwhelming measureables. Guys who are maybe just off the ideal look, but are really good football players don't get a second look and end up playing really well at the JC or lower levels.

Looks like he signed with USD per Mercury News. Good signing for them. Kid is a real competitor

I heard hes a Laney commit

I don't keep up much with JC football does anyone know if Laney's offensive system is s good fit for Floyd? There are many choices in the Bay Area for JC prograns. Also, does anyone know how well Drew Sullivan season went as center for DVC? California's CJ Cornwell had a monster year at DVC earning him a D2 scholarship in Texas.

Reactions: mshNASTY
If they stick with the spread sets in gun with motion they ran last season, Laney is a great fit for Floyd in both run game and pass/screen game either out of backfield or slot.

Reactions: Bubba3000
I heard Keaton Dunsford who played QB at Cardinal Newman a couple years ago is going to Laney as well. I believe he went Ivy League out of HS but not sure what happened. Big strong kid. 6"5 225. Very smart kid and was getting some big looks out of HS but it never materialized. Laney could be loaded.

JJ Anderson has Received an offer from New Mexico Highlands University. Kid has a good size and a pretty nice arm from what I've seen in person and on film accuracy is a little shaky at times though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT