ADVERTISEMENT

DLS faces Irvington

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Home game for the Spartans vs a team that won its first five, then lost its last two.

Irvington has one guy in street clothes... Could his injury be a factor in those losses? Maybe... No clue here...

Aaaaaanywayyyy... Spartan frosh rolled 61-30, JV won by I believe 47-30. If Maxpreps is to be believe, that was the first W for the Spartan JV’s this season.

21-9 to end the quarter... Spartans playing well, at least other than two blown dunks... Irvington actually looks fairly solid, just outmanned here.

45-23 Spartans at the half... Some long 3’s by Irvington the only thing keeping it respectable at this point...

Spartans came to PLAY tonight.

Irvington scored the first eight of the 3rd, but since then it’s been ALL Spartans. quarter ends with the score 62-35.

I haven't seen De La Salle play a true playoff-level team yet (nobody has, unless you count summer and scrimmages), but we'll know a *lot* more after they go to Rancho Mirage next week.

edit: I did say to folks at tonight's game that I think they're the best team in NorCal not named Sheldon, but I have to make DeLa and Dublin #2 and #2a. With Mitty and Riordan in the argument, too. And maybe even Salesian... And O'Dowd... 2 thru 2E? Can I do that? :)

I haven't seen De La Salle play a true playoff-level team yet (nobody has, unless you count summer and scrimmages), but we'll know a *lot* more after they go to Rancho Mirage next week.

edit: I did say to folks at tonight's game that I think they're the best team in NorCal not named Sheldon, but I have to make DeLa and Dublin #2 and #2a. With Mitty and Riordan in the argument, too. And maybe even Salesian... And O'Dowd... 2 thru 2E? Can I do that? :)
Sure.
E= Mc2
Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

In the finals of their tournament I watched DLS beat a very game Bishop Walsh (MD) team that I think is an Open quality team. Very impressed by what I saw from DLS and I think they'll be go quite far in the Open.

In the finals of their tournament I watched DLS beat a very game Bishop Walsh (MD) team that I think is an Open quality team. Very impressed by what I saw from DLS and I think they'll be go quite far in the Open.

I heard about that game from my friend (DLS coach's dad and one of my mom's many doctors). He said that he didn't think DLS could beat Walsh based on what they'd looked like earlier in the tournament. Walsh had beaten Chaminade in the semi's (Chaminade's only loss).

p.s. Just looked at Walsh's info on MaxPreps. If that roster is accurate, they are freakin' HUGE! A 6-10 guy, three 6-9 guys, three 6-7's, a 6-6 and four 6-5's... However, it looks like their Chaminade win was quite an upset based on their other scores, so how good were they really? And could they bounce back after pulling this apparently big upset and really give their best effort vs. DLS?

So I'll still go with a "we don't know yet" score for DLS, especially since their Pittsburg transfer isn't eligible yet (I hear he's quite good and that he'll be eligible for their 1st-round game at Rancho Mirage vs. Capital Christian).

So I'll still go with a "we don't know yet" score for DLS, especially since their Pittsburg transfer isn't eligible yet (I hear he's quite good and that he'll be eligible for their 1st-round game at Rancho Mirage vs. Capital Christian).

Who is the kid who transferred in from Pitt?

Who is the kid who transferred in from Pitt?

I was told last night, but I suck at remembering names unless it's an obvious star... :(

Now that I think of it, I heard "transfer from Pittsburg", but that doesn't necessarily mean "Pittsburg HS". Could be he went to another school in Pittsburg (if there are any), or another Pittsburg (or Pittsburgh) in another state. Enquiring minds want to know...

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
I was told last night, but I suck at remembering names unless it's an obvious star... :(

Now that I think of it, I heard "transfer from Pittsburg", but that doesn't necessarily mean "Pittsburg HS". Could be he went to another school in Pittsburg (if there are any), or another Pittsburg (or Pittsburgh) in another state. Enquiring minds want to know...
Junior Alonzo Washington from Pittsburgh High.

Regardless of transfer DLS is going to be a tough out for anybody in calif this year. I wish they had a couple better pre season games but they get capital Christian after Xmas which will be a good test. I could see DLS emerging as the #2 in NorCal behind Sheldon. Time will tell. Coaching is on there side though.

Two things regarding Dublin vs De La Salle.

1) The x-factor is #11 for DLS Chris Bunch. If he is making shots and making plays then DLS will easily beat Dublin. If he is a space cadet then Dublin has a chance.

2) If Dublin is able to force DLS to play their reserves then Dublin has a chance. The starters for De La Salle are very good but they are not a very deep team. In a 32 minute high school game maybe depth isn't needed. If DLS's starters are able to play big minutes then Dublin is in trouble.

Prediction: De La Salle 80 Dublin 68.

Its really funny the shade Dublin continues to get(only mr Monroe said they would be good) Dublin was written off for dead when
one player moved to another school now
The season is still very early but what I will say from what I have saw at the tip off classic as well as the gridley tournament
is there ball movement and precision on offense is unmatched by ANY team I have seen this first month of the season if you fall asleep or have a defensive breakdown they make you pay immediately.The most eye opening Aspect I see with that team is there depth they have 9 guys that can play and an array of shooters there depth is what will seperate them from alot of teams. Dela is good and very talented but remember they are led by 2 sophmores while dublin has like 9 seniors.There 3 day run up at gridley was pretty impressive good luck to both high quality basketball programs there games as well as riordan mitty games will be must see basketball.

Last edited:
Dublin will always be good but will never make a deep playoff run because they don’t play defense. Same story every year. DLS, Sheldon, Salesian all defend at a high level.

They always do well in the regular season.

Point taken, but this Dublin looks more “together”... But then I said this about Salesian last year... These teams are very close at the top in any year, but it seems to have been unusually close the last couple years... Other than Sheldon being a cut above the rest of NorCal.

Sometimes we are harsh on hoops in NorCal but dont you feel the top 10 teams this year are very good. It’s been awhile since I can recall such a great group. Sheldon, Mitty, Riordan; DLS, Dublin,Salesian, CC, campo., MC, etc. then you have teams like bellarmine who could be quiet killers.

I would say the SJS is down though. Jesuit is improved and lookout for whitney in d2 but overall teams like Folsom are down. The gap with Sheldon appears quite large but overall I’m very optimistic about hoops this year. Some quality teams and players.

Sometimes we are harsh on hoops in NorCal but dont you feel the top 10 teams this year are very good. It’s been awhile since I can recall such a great group. Sheldon, Mitty, Riordan; DLS, Dublin,Salesian, CC, campo., MC, etc. then you have teams like bellarmine who could be quiet killers.

I would say the SJS is down though. Jesuit is improved and lookout for whitney in d2 but overall teams like Folsom are down. The gap with Sheldon appears quite large but overall I’m very optimistic about hoops this year. Some quality teams and players.

Lot's of Parity this year. That's what I felt, going into Gridley, that it was anyone's game to win. I am enjoying it in the College game also.
Here's wishing you great hoops

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT