ADVERTISEMENT

DLS Heading to London!!?!!!

I think this got brought up earlier on here and I found it hard to believe. But it will be a really cool experience for the team

If it was mentioned earlier, it was rumors. Official announcement by the NFL was yesterday or early today. The news hasn't even hit MaxPreps or the DLS websites yet.

If it was mentioned earlier, it was rumors. Official announcement by the NFL was yesterday or early today. The news hasn't even hit MaxPreps or the DLS websites yet.
Mercury News had a story on it today and sounds like discussion have been ongoing. So that is probably where the rumors came from

Reactions: kiddman32
Mercury News had a story on it today and sounds like discussion have been ongoing. So that is probably where the rumors came from
This has been in the works for awhile, I believe that @Humbab is the one who first posted about it on this board….

MJD is the one who got the ball rollin on this through his connections with the NFL network and I was told that Nike and the NFL are sponsoring the trip….

What I find so interesting about this is how can this be allowed by the CIF?…. Since CA teams supposedly can’t play IMG because they don’t participate in state playoffs how can playing the NFL European Academy be any different?…. I call BS on the IMG rule, if the CIF allows this, MD and SJB should get IMG on their schedule’s….

Two questions:

1) Who is MJD?

2) this is more a thought than a question... I have an idea that the CIF is only allowing this as a non-game that doesn't count on DLS' season record, maybe even not allowed to put up on Maxpreps. I would say the same if IMG or whatever one of those prep academies played a CA school.

Two questions:

1) Who is MJD?

2) this is more a thought than a question... I have an idea that the CIF is only allowing this as a non-game that doesn't count on DLS' season record, maybe even not allowed to put up on Maxpreps. I would say the same if IMG or whatever one of those prep academies played a CA school.
Maurice Jones Drew….

DLS schedule is not complete on Max Preps…. It’s not showing the Serra game or ST Francis Games and those games are definitely happening…..

Last edited:
This is such a great opportunity for the kids (and free, thanks to Nike!), that I think they would have taken the trip even if the CIF said "Nope" and said they would be playoff ineligible this season.

And, Maurice Jones-Drew... yeah, I should have thought of that.

coach says some kids have never been on a plane or left california... if you can afford tuition at de la salle i am certain you have went on a vacation or 2.

Two questions:

1) Who is MJD?

1. You cannot have two scrimmages.

2. If the score is kept, it's not a scrimmage.

The CIF allowing a member school to participate in an NFL sanctioned showcase is very different than IMG. The existence of IMG is for no rules or governing body. The NFL would be the governing body in this particular case.

Although, CIF's treatment with transfers and the emergence of MD/SJB as of late begs for an argument that CIF isn't necessarily a governing body either. So...

Pros:
-Get to experience a new country
-Expand the De La Salle Brand
-Maybe recruit some of the guys you are playing against?
-Maybe some lower end kids get PT and earn a scholarship to one of the European colleges. I believe some are starting American Football programs.

Cons:
-Extra game sandwiched between two important league games.
-Potential for injury
-Loss could affect its CIF standing. Even if they say it won’t, a loss is a loss to some people voting.
-Nike paying for everything, but there will def. Be some unexpected costs that come along with traveling with this many people, and how many families will want to come along on the trip?

Overall cool idea, but I think they should have had one of the Florida or Baltimore schools be the guinea pig for this trip, as the trip would be 6 hours less each way for those FL, MD teams.

Pros:
-Get to experience a new country
-Expand the De La Salle Brand
-Maybe recruit some of the guys you are playing against?
-Maybe some lower end kids get PT and earn a scholarship to one of the European colleges. I believe some are starting American Football programs.

Cons:
-Potential for injury
-Loss could affect its CIF standing. Even if they say it won’t, a loss is a loss to some people voting.
-Nike paying for everything, but there will def. Be some unexpected costs that come along with traveling with this many people, and how many families will want to come along on the trip?

Overall cool idea, but I think they should have had one of the Florida or Baltimore schools be the guinea pig for this trip, as the trip would be 6 hours less each way for those FL, MD teams.
Don't disagree with your Pros but do disagree to some degree with your CONS:
1). "sandwiched between two important league games".........My understanding is the game before London departure is El Cerrito, a non League game. The game following their return, not sure because I have yet to see the second half of their schedule.
2). "Potential for injury" ......Unless someone falls out of the plane in transit, I don't see any greater possibility of increased injuries than what a team normally experiences in a regular season game.
3). "Loss could affect CIF standing".......Every November posters fill up posts on this site regarding underserved, unfair standings. Who knows what goes on at the post season playoff assignments.....Ouiji Board Sessions ?, Late night Beer Pong selection sessions, Rock, Paper, Scissor stamp offs, or just all night number crunching piles of season game stats.
4) "Nike paying everything".....Yes, mucho gracias Nike, True many families will want to come along, just as they have in previous OOS Games. Not to be cavalier but the parents are resourceful and will prove that "where there's a Will, there's a Way'
5). "... schools be the guinea pig for this trip" There has al ready been a guinea pig. A High School from Brooklyn has made the swim across the Pond to London and as I understand it Coach Alumbaugh and AD Leo Lopoz have been in contact with their counterparts in Brooklyn, especially before they pulled the trigger to make this trip.

Time to cue up 'London Calling' by the Clash ...............
Gonna go ice my index finger after this forever hunt & peck typing execise

Last edited:
1). "sandwiched between two important league games".........My understanding is the game before London departure is El Cerrito, a non League game. The game following their return, not sure because I have yet to see the second half of their schedule.
2). "Potential for injury" ......Unless someone falls out of the plane in transit, I don't see any greater possibility of increased injuries than what a team normally experiences in a regular season game.
3). "Loss could affect CIF standing".......Every November posters fill up posts on this site regarding underserved, unfair standings. Who knows what goes on at the post season playoff assignments.....Ouiji Board Sessions ?, Late night Beer Pong selection sessions, Rock, Paper, Scissor stamp offs, or just all night number crunching piles of season game stats.
4) "Nike paying everything".....Yes, mucho gracias Nike, True many families will want to come along, just as they have in previous OOS Games. Not to be cavalier but the parents are resourceful and will prove that "where there's a Will, there's a Way'
5). "... schools be the guinea pig for this trip" There has al ready been a guinea pig. A High School from Brooklyn has made the swim across the Pond to London and as I understand it Coach Alumbaugh and AD Leo Lopoz have been in contact with their counterparts in Brooklyn, especially before they pulled the trigger to make this trip.

I am wondering if it's Thomas Jefferson High School. Coach Moe Finkelstein was a legendery Coach there. I went there in the early sixties. Coach moe would not mind slaping the snot out of you, if you got funny with him.

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: concrete17
Cons:

I will have to triple check DLS’s league record the past 20-25 years to see, but don’t seem to recall league games being to much of an issue for the Spartans in that span (and EC is non-league to boot).

-Potential for injury
Because there is no chance of injury in a game played in U.S. soil? It magically increases when you cross the pond?
What CIF standing will this effect and what vote?
Valid point.
Florida? They have already played Lakeland and STA. Baltimore? Outside SFA that is like playing a Nevada school not named the Bishop, why bother?

Couple things. It was not a rumor the deal has been done for almost a month. They just had logistics to work out before announcing. Two, this is poor job of scheduling in my opinion. They play El Cerrito on a Friday then eleven days later play London on Tuesday then head back and play San Ramon ten days later. Great experience for the boys but a lot traveling for 1 game in 21 days.

Reactions: THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT