ADVERTISEMENT

FCS Championship Game

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
I highly recommend you folks tune into ABC at 9:00AM Saturday morning to watch North Dakota State take on James Madison. You will be amazed at the caliber of football being played in the FCS aka D1AA. Granted these two teams are light years ahead of the typical FCS program as far as talent goes. The FCS is similar to FBS aka D1A like comparing a lower end Mountain West team to a high end SEC team. In the FCS it would be like comparing a lower end non scholarship program from the Pioneer League to the 63 scholarship Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences

Absolutely, James Madison is probably only FCS program on planet that has a legit chance of beating NDSU
Bubba in your opinion what was/is Cal Poly missing to be more competitive in recent years? I know it could be sensitive so maybe ranking 1 through 7: 1 being strongest and 7 weakest. Coaching, recruiting, defensive scheme, offensive scheme, Administrative support, community support and facilities.

Bubba in your opinion what was/is Cal Poly missing to be more competitive in recent years? I know it could be sensitive so maybe ranking 1 through 7: 1 being strongest and 7 weakest. Coaching, recruiting, defensive scheme, offensive scheme, Administrative support, community support and facilities.

they got a steal in Jackson Pavitt at QB so I think they are on Right track.

Number one problem
1. Coaching. I was not impressed with the head coach or either coordinator. The head coach was full of excuses and too loyal to his coaches. What I mean by that is he had coaches not performing at a high level and didn’t make accountable.Cal Poly does not pay their assistant coaches well and it's super expensive to live in SLO. Bad combination.

2. Although Cal Poly has many talented players, they have not been getting the players needed to win consistently especially on defense. The most glaring weakness recruiting is defensive linemen.

3. Offensive scheme. The triple option is an old outdated system too dependent on other factors. Running the ball 85% of the time is too predictable. If you choose to run this system you can never fall too far behind on the scoreboard because it takes a long time to score when running the ball. You can’t get too many penalties putting yourself in long yardage situations. Another thing required is playing good defense so you’re never far behind. In a nutshell the Cal Poly version was too predictable and their defense simply wasn’t good enough.

4. Defensive scheme. The Mustangs ran the 3-4 because they always seemed to be lacking good defensive linemen. The problem was compounded by not having at least four good linebackers. Defensive backs rarely seemed to turn and look for the ball on deep passes, which in my opinion is bad coaching. Probably the most glaring deficiency on defense was tackling. Possibly the worst tackling I’ve ever witnessed at any level of football.

5. Fan support. Even when the team was winning their always seemed to be a lack of fan support. Students were not quick to show up and were early to leave in the second half. There seems to be more interest in men’s soccer, especially when playing UCSB. There are many anti Walsh alumni and fans that will likely show renewed interest now that Walsh is gone.

6. Facilities are admittedly not the best at Cal Poly. With that said they are good enough and recruits accept that fact when they sign on there.

Even though they didn't win many games my son got lots of playtime and was second team all Big Sky conference twice despite playing on a losing team. I had a blast watching him play division one football and play it well.

Last edited:
NDSU wins...again. Got to like the regional schools selling themselves. JMU’s promo touted “America’s favorite university.” Had to be sure of that rewinding the DVR. LOL.

The JMU chucker threw a stinker with :08 left 3rd and goal with two TO left. Heimlich.

I highly recommend you folks tune into ABC at 9:00AM Saturday morning to watch North Dakota State take on James Madison. You will be amazed at the caliber of football being played in the FCS aka D1AA. Granted these two teams are light years ahead of the typical FCS program as far as talent goes. The FCS is similar to FBS aka D1A like comparing a lower end Mountain West team to a high end SEC team. In the FCS it would be like comparing a lower end non scholarship program from the Pioneer League to the 63 scholarship Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences

Definitly a fun game to watch.

Here's wishing yoiu great football

What makes North Dakota State so dominant? They have had coaching turnover but keep rolling along

What makes North Dakota State so dominant? They have had coaching turnover but keep rolling along

there isn’t an FBS program within hundreds of miles to suck away talent like there is in California for starters.

I've been to the FargoDome twice when my son played against them in 2016 and 2017. It is an awesome event on game day. The tailgating there has got to be tops in FCS as well, maybe even rival in the top 30 FBS tailgates...its very impressive. With regards to the football program, I have been following them ever since. The roster is consistent with RB/WR/DB kids from Florida, OL/DL kids from Wisconsin, and LB kids from the Dakotas. They have a system in place that gets the kids there. Talent-wise, they are ready to move up to FBS, however facility-wise, I don't know if the FargoDome meets the minimum required seating capacity for FBS. I will say this, it's the loudest event I've ever been to!

Culture- with a 108 players on the roster it means they have same number of walk on vs scholarship players. That’s old school Nebraska right there.

Culture- with a 108 players on the roster it means they have same number of walk on vs scholarship players. That’s old school Nebraska right there.

when Cal Poly played them a couple years ago at the Fargodome they trotted out 10 or 11 quality defensive linemen. Instead of the triple option wearing them down they wore down the 5 starting OL from CP. They have more talented walk on players than most programs full ride starters. Cal Poly can’t afford to recruit outside California and I suspect many FCS programs can’t afford to recruit out of state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT