ADVERTISEMENT

Final Salesian 44 Mitty 41

Awww poor Mitty. GTFO! Poor Miramote. Haha All the care is about CalStars anyways.

Mater Dei girls lost.

Carondelet lost. Not much talent in the program for the next couple of years.

Way to go Pinewood!!!

Can someone who attended the game please provide a bit more detail? Was Salesian defense the key? Mitty off night shooting? Makayla and Angel too much for Mitty to handle? Mitty had 15 points at halftime.

Anymore specifics on how Salesian pulled it off?

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
Makayla was on fire last night. Obviously Salesian slowed the game down and it worked. Salesian kept them off the glass and their guards played extremely well in breaking the press.

I still can't believe what I saw last night!

Makayla had a very good shooting night, going 5-7 from three for 23 total points. Salesian ran a modified 2-3 zone which limited Mitty's shot selection, plus Salesian handled Mitty's various presses very well.

Mitty did not shoot the ball well and really tanked from the FT line, going 5-16, including many misses on the front end of 1 and 1s. They were 1-7 from the line in the first half. Salesian, especially Jackson, hit their FTs, although I don't know the line. Refs called a good game overall in my opinion.

Salesian/Pinewood will be interesting.

Makayla had a very good shooting night, going 5-7 from three for 23 total points. Salesian ran a modified 2-3 zone which limited Mitty's shot selection, plus Salesian handled Mitty's various presses very well.

Mitty did not shoot the ball well and really tanked from the FT line, going 5-16, including many misses on the front end of 1 and 1s. They were 1-7 from the line in the first half. Salesian, especially Jackson, hit their FTs, although I don't know the line. Refs called a good game overall in my opinion.

Salesian/Pinewood will be interesting.

5 for 16 from the line in such a low scoring game is not getting it done. Even 50% gives them 3 more points and a tie game, without even taking into account possibly getting some second shots on some 1 and 1s.

Good question. If I’m down 3 and have the top recruit in the nation as an option, I’d get it to her as soon as possible. Or have someone set a pick for her if she’s being tightly defended, but it sure appeared she could have swung it over to Haley with about 4 seconds left. Maybe Haley had a bad shooting night prior to that, or the other gal had been hot?

Good question. If I’m down 3 and have the top recruit in the nation as an option, I’d get it to her as soon as possible. Or have someone set a pick for her if she’s being tightly defended, but it sure appeared she could have swung it over to Haley with about 4 seconds left. Maybe Haley had a bad shooting night prior to that, or the other gal had been hot?
Can't see it in the video but Jones was double teamed from the moment the ball was in bounded. She really wasn't an option, plus she was 0-4 from 3 on the night.

Not sure what happened, but IMO the ball should have been inbounded to Haley Jones. You pretty much owe the last game of a player of Haley's stature the ball with the season in the balance in her final year.

These were 2 of my top 3 preseason picks, so it wasn't a total surprise. I actually had Salesian ranked 2nd and Mitty 3rd.

Salesian appeared to bring it like they were capable of doing. And to think they did it minus two key players who were out with season ending injuries. That was a huge hurdle. But beating Pinewood (my preseason #1 pick) will certainly be just as much a challenge.

Congratulations Salesian !

Can't see it in the video but Jones was double teamed from the moment the ball was in bounded. She really wasn't an option, plus she was 0-4 from 3 on the night.
Jones was being guarded but not doubled. PG tried to get the ball back to her at the top of the key but it was denied by a single defender. Mitty PG quickly went to her next option, a pass to a wing and a 30 foot jumper to tie. Not a great option but considering the time (11.8) from inbounds and no timeouts you must go to plan b immediately after plan A was denied. Tough break not having a time out left or a set play to get a clean look but that is life in the post season. Bummer I thought this was the Monarchs year. I would anticipate a #1 ranking next season.

If you are the number player in the nation... there would be nothing that would deny me the ball at that point... i have worked my whole life for that moment.
kids now a days... Jordan would have taken that shot

Reactions: Paytc
With no timeouts left, Mitty only option in that late game situation was to inbound the ball to Jones but Haley inbounded the ball.
Can be explained by Mitty not having many game experiences in that situation?

With no timeouts left, Mitty only option in that late game situation was to inbound the ball to Jones but Haley inbounded the ball.
Can be explained by Mitty not having many game experiences in that situation?

Obviously that situation was not rehearsed. Haley is 6 ft tall, only Angel Jackson had enough size to out jump Haley if the pass to her was thrown up high. And Haley out on the 3 point line may have been too far out for the defense to bring Angel. So if Haley is throwing the ball in the first thing is to throw it right back to her. Or have someone else throw the ball in. As stated it was obviously not a situation they often face, anticipated, or worked on.

All the best wishes go out to Haley Jones as she joins Hanna Jump and a very talented young group of players at Stanford next season. Congratulations again to Salesian !

Not sure what happened, but IMO the ball should have been inbounded to Haley Jones. You pretty much owe the last game of a player of Haley's stature the ball with the season in the balance in her final year.

These were 2 of my top 3 preseason picks, so it wasn't a total surprise. I actually had Salesian ranked 2nd and Mitty 3rd.

Salesian appeared to bring it like they were capable of doing. And to think they did it minus two key players who were out with season ending injuries. That was a huge hurdle. But beating Pinewood (my preseason #1 pick) will certainly be just as much a challenge.

Congratulations Salesian !

Hopefully Haleys legacy is not bound to her taking the last shot or not. This young lady has played in enough big games and has stood out on big stages throughout her career.

undefeated in WCAL play four years straight.
4 time CCS open champion
2017 Norcal open champion
2017 Iolani Classic champion
2017 Nike TOC Champion
2018 WCJ champion

Mitty just ran in to a team that would not be denied on that given night.
Hats off to Steve Pezzola and the Salesian team for a great plan plan and execution.

Hopefully Haleys legacy is not bound to her taking the last shot or not. This young lady has played in enough big games and has stood out on big stages throughout her career.

undefeated in WCAL play four years straight.
4 time CCS open champion
2017 Norcal open champion
2017 Iolani Classic champion
2017 Nike TOC Champion
2018 WCJ champion

Mitty just ran in to a team that would not be denied on that given night.
Hats off to Steve Pezzola and the Salesian team for a great plan plan and execution.

Obviously her legacy is bigger than any first or last shot. But that doesn't diminish the fact IMO, an a few others, the ball should have found a way into her hands or been stolen trying to get it to her. At the same time, I personally can respect the decision (if that was the case) to look for the best shot, not necessarily the best player. Remember I am big about doing things "anyway" that works, or is best believed to work at any given moment. I agree Salesian apparently was the better team that evening.

P.S. I think Haley also made it to the McDonald's All American Team, as well as a U. S. Olympic Team. And her Cal Stars team was also I think National Silver team champions who were about 55-1. And they beat the one team that beat them.

Last edited:
Obviously her legacy is bigger than any first or last shot. But that doesn't diminish the fact IMO, an a few others, the ball should have found a way into her hands or been stolen trying to get it to her. At the same time, I personally can respect the decision (if that was the case) to look for the best shot, not necessarily the best player. Remember I am big about doing things "anyway" that works, or is best believed to work at any given moment. I agree Salesian apparently was the better team that evening.

P.S. I think Haley also made it to the McDonald's All American Team, as well as a U. S. Olympic Team. And her Cal Stars team was also I think National Silver team champions who were about 55-1 and they beat the one team that beat them.
Olympic team?

Olympic team?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she played on the Olympic team. I'm sure she and Decosta and a couple of others were good enough to make the team. The main point is she's had a lot of outstanding accomplishments as a basketball player.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she played on the Olympic team. I'm sure she and Decosta and a couple of others were good enough to make the team. The main point is she's had a lot of outstanding accomplishments as a basketball player.
Olympics are in 2020 and that would be the ultimate accomplishment.

She played on one of the USA basketball u19 or u18 teams. A accomplishment in itself but far from the Olympic team. But she could someday be selected to play for our national team. She’s in the USA basketball family.

She played on one of the USA basketball u19 or u18 teams. A accomplishment in itself but far from the Olympic team. But she could someday be selected to play for our national team. She’s in the USA basketball family.

That is what I meant. I thought that was a team that represents the U. S. and was considered a U.S. Olympic trails team. As one can tell, I don't follow U.S. Women's basketball. Or know too much about the Olympics teams overall regardless to any particular sport. And again the main point I was making was Haley Jones has already had a terrific basketball career up to this point. And it should continue on at Stanford and perhaps further. Congrats to her !

Last edited:
Reactions: Girls_Hoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT