ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom--- class or no class

HSfan82

Sports Fanatic
Dec 10, 2013
I caught the end of Folsom/Oceanside game, In a clear blowout win, Folsom still throwing ball up 55-7. Now I know kid going for record and I know this Folsom spread 5 wide offense, but come on really. In addition to be kids at injury risk on both sides, I think Folsom calls off dogs . Maybe if its 55-30 but goal should not be to get record at the expense of humiliation of other team.

I was hoping kid who picked up fumble at end would fall down. But hey that's a kid, probably a backup, getting a chance to scoop and score. I will question the blitz off the edge call by coach. Am I being too sensitive? If Folsom was that good then play DLS, and prove how good you are

Apparently folsom tried to schedule dls early in the season but dls declined presumably due to folsom already being on their schedule as the open regional opponent. Its the last game of the season might as well let them have at it. Would hope there were back ups in for folsom at the end so they could get game experience. Also imagine I would feel differently if I were rooting for O-Side. Congrats folsom.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, I know he was playing his last game as a Folsom Bulldog, but why was Browning even in the game, up 55-7? I would have loved to hear what the coach of Oceanside was saying to Taylor as they shook hands at the end of the game. It didn't look too warm.

I don't think anyone really likes it, but hey, that's Folsom. That's what they do and they're not ashamed of it. The Game Announcers told everyone what to expect ahead of time.

It's hard to say but if Folsom were the type to call off the dogs they'd be pulling starters in the first quarter every week.

They didn't punt all year.

They didn't trail all year until Oceanside took that 7-0 lead on them earlier.

Again, it's hard to say but when you're that dominant what are you supposed to do? It's not their fault nobody can hang with them.

On twitter a well known coach in the Bay area posted his thoughts and was not too happy about it. Also comment to sportswriter who condoned it.

Folsom keeping the dogs going with the running clock seem to be in conflict with the spirit of the bowl in my opinion. Not to take away from the great Folsom team, but this does reflect negatively on the coaches and the program. A classy team would have basically run the clock out. The last quarter was record driven.
This post was edited on 12/19 11:17 PM by NorCalSportsFan

I just wrote about this topic on the game thread before I had seen this.

Yes, Coach Carroll was none too happy. I couldn't make out everything thing he said to Coach Taylor, but, near the end of their conversation, it sounded like he said "we would never do this to anyone" or something close to that.

As I said in the other thread, records are nice but the end goal was a State title. They had that in hand. There was no need to pile on in pursuit of a couple records at the expense of another team on such a big stage. I knew he was going to do it after listening to the halftime interview when he hinted that they weren't going to let up.

The last TD was scored by Bailey Laolagi - a starter. I could be wrong, but I don't think Coach Carroll had much issue with that play - especially since his team was still trying to score themselves - but rather the possession before that when Folsom offense was still going full throttle with all starters in.

I actually thought Folsom's co-head coaches got really lucky in that Browning didn't get hurt on either of those 2 sacks. The 2nd one looked awkward and I thought Browning might have had his right leg pinned under him as he was pushed back. Could you imagine the fallout had he been seriously hurt on that play, leading 55-7?

It's quite a slippery slope their on.

At the pro level, I have no problem running up the score. Even in the NCAA, I don't have a huge issue with it unless it's an FBS vs. FCS type matchup. However I think it's a big no no at the HS and youth level. Just my opinion.

I can sorta see where you're coming from HSfan82. Not scoring a defensive touchdown is out of the question though. No matter how out of hand the game is that fumble had to be returned! This being a big game I thought Folsom was merciful. They could have made it worse. Folsom played their game from start to finish. Oceanside didn't seem like they were asking for any favors. Looks like they kept their starters in for most of the game. Their coach could have bent the knee and waived the flag if he wanted Folsom to call off the dogs. Why is it all on Folsom to switch up? If Oceanside isn't offering up terms of surrender then its business as usual.

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

Not to take away from the great Folsom team, but this does reflect negatively on the coaches and the program.
See, you hit the nail on the head. Doing what they did takes focus off what the kids accomplished, which is not what you really want. Had they let up once the 4th quarter and running clock started, all the talk would solely be about Folsom's dominance and where they rank this season and all-time. Instead, a lot of that talk has shifted to this topic. Poor decision, IMO.

Originally posted by slick58:

Oceanside didn't seem like they were asking for any favors. Looks like they kept their starters in for most of the game. Their coach could have bent the knee and waived the flag if he wanted Folsom to call off the dogs. Why is it all on Folsom to switch up? If Oceanside isn't offering up terms of surrender then its business as usual.
To contradict some of what I already said, I understand this type of reasoning. If the other team isn't relenting and is still trying to score, why can't you? I get it.

That said, I subscribe to that logic at the pro level but not at the amateur level - especially when it involves kids. Even if I didn't care about embarrassing the other team, their coaches or the parents watching their kids play, I wouldn't do it due to the potential risk of injury. While Jake Browning's parents are surely proud of their son'saccomplishments, something tells me they would have been quite upset had Jake's knee been wrecked that last series when Oceanside was angry and coming after him hard. It nearly happened.

Think Boobie Myles of Odessa Permian who had his knee wrecked and career ruined in a game his team had already won.

Are you kidding me? I don't get this generation of parents and feel good teachers...Everyone's a winner attitude... WTF, this is football...Oh and its a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! It's called character building....You know what the old school coaches would say...Were losing, were losing bad , get off your asses and stop it, do something about it. You don't like it stop it. You don't like your son getting his ass kicked by another team too fricken bad...Don't play competitive sports...These kind comments make me laugh... Go have your kid play flag football if you don't like it!

Originally posted by cappyjohnson:

Are you kidding me? I don't get this generation of parents and feel good teachers...Everyone's a winner attitude... WTF, this is football...Oh and its a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! It's called character building....You know what the old school coaches would say...Were losing, were losing bad , get off your asses and stop it, do something about it. You don't like it stop it. You don't like your son getting his ass kicked by another team too fricken bad...Don't play competitive sports...These kind comments make me laugh... Go have your kid play flag football if you don't like it!
+1

seriously. Whats the point of a record if you can't break it? Dominating a team like that lets the losing coach know to sharpen his toolset. Come hard or don't come at all. And if you gave it all you got and you got embarrassed like that then now you can make adjustments and improve your team. Why should Folsom's kids suffer stats and glory because the other team isn't in their league?

These kind comments make me laugh...
What a coincidence. That's what we all do upon reading your sophomoric drivel. You couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. As you were.

Originally posted by ThunderRam:

These kind comments make me laugh...
What a coincidence. That's what we all do upon reading your sophomoric drivel. You couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. As you were.
when the truth hurts go for the grammar!

I have heard numerous times throughout the year when Folsom was doing this to teams that they are a passing team and this is their offense. Well they looked like they had a running offense early in this game to me. They went for records plain and simple!!! They have a running game that can work the clock.This game was for all the people that have doubted them and quite frankly for the only 2 losses that this group has had(DLS). Basically Folsom was giving everyone the middle finger and I don't really think they care what anyone thinks. Great Team, Great season, D-1 State Champs!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dgdollaz:

when the truth hurts go for the grammar!
First, prove what you believe is indeed truth.

Second, re-read what was written then try to comprehend the difference between calling out someone's grammar versus questioning their ability to come up with a rational, lucid point. I did the latter, not the former.

Thanks for playing!

Thunder Ram BO HOO..I played in some games that were lopsided, did I like it? No, but I would make every hit count. I just don't understand this play nice attitude people have. If Oceanside coach didn't like it..Bring 9-10 players at the Folsom QB and hit him..Do it until you get to him...That's how you stop a team fro doing that..On the field, but most of you knuckle heads come from this were "All Winners and Special " generation. WTF

And as it turns out, this didn't break a national record at all which belongs to last year's Aledo (TX) team who put up 1,023 on their way to a state title.

Originally posted by slick58:
I can sorta see where you're coming from HSfan82. Not scoring a defensive touchdown is out of the question though. No matter how out of hand the game is that fumble had to be returned! This being a big game I thought Folsom was merciful. They could have made it worse. Folsom played their game from start to finish. Oceanside didn't seem like they were asking for any favors. Looks like they kept their starters in for most of the game. Their coach could have bent the knee and waived the flag if he wanted Folsom to call off the dogs. Why is it all on Folsom to switch up? If Oceanside isn't offering up terms of surrender then its business as usual.
You mean a fumble at the very end of the game when you're up 62-7 has to be returned 60 yards to the end zone???? Uhhhh no, no it doesn't.

and on ce again the Folsom coaches miss an opportunity to build their program.
40 kids standing on the sideline watching g Browining throwing g the ball up 55-7 with a run running clock instead of getting playing time which helps for next year.

Let's also stop with this narrative that DLS declined to play Folsom this year. Someone show me where DLS refused. The Spartans schedule was set a long time ago. DLS is going to have some open dates next year. Move fast Folsom- don't wait until it is too late.

Originally posted by farmair3:

This game was for all the people that have doubted them and quite frankly for the only 2 losses that this group has had(DLS). Basically Folsom was giving everyone the middle finger and I don't really think they care what anyone thinks. Great Team, Great season, D-1 State Champs!!!!!!!
They don't. That's been obvious for a long time. You are spot on.

I can seen both sides of the argument. I just tend to side more against the tactic at the HS and youth levels for many reasons already stated.

What cinches it for me is the potential for injury. Again, re-watch Folsom's last offensive series when O-Side's defense was selling out trying to get to Browning. They sacked him on consecutive plays. On the 2nd sack, he was lucky not to injure his right knee. It didn't happen, but very easily could have.

As a coach, why would you want to even risk the future of player of Browning's potential in such a meaningless situation? Same goes for Bailey Laolagi and the other starters that have a chance to play on Saturdays. Why put them at further risk -- against an angry team -- in a game they already have won? I don't get it.

I am certain of this, though: Had Jake Browning been seriously hurt, those defending the tactic would be piling on the Folsom coaches for leaving him in. Believe that.

Originally posted by paul_johnson884:
and on ce again the Folsom coaches miss an opportunity to build their program.
40 kids standing on the sideline watching g Browining throwing g the ball up 55-7 with a run running clock instead of getting playing time which helps for next year.
Agreed. I believe Folsom only has 2 starters returning next season so we'll see how that decision serves them moving forward.

Again, I don't want to hear Folsom backers like Awood continue to argue that they "do it the right way" or that they don't leave in their starters or that they ground the ball in an effort to run the clock out. They didn't do that tonight. They didn't do that against Rocklin and several other teams this season. They haven't done that on numerous occasions the past 3-4 years.

If you subscribe to those kinds of tactics, cool. Just don't be in denial and claim they didn't and don't continue to happen.

DLS is going to have some open dates next year. Move fast Folsom- don't wait until it is too late.
What do you think the odds are of them actually wanting that game next season after graduating all but 2 or 3 starters? I'd be shocked if they had the balls to still take on that game. They'll get rolled by a similar score Oceanside lost by tonight. They lose a ton and DLS might even be better than this year. I don't think the odds of Folsom winning the SFL next year are all that good. They do return Jonah Williams, but every other position will be a question mark.

This post was edited on 12/20 12:50 AM by ThunderRam

I think the term for this is "Act like you've been there". Which, since Folsom has been there, should've known better... But, to each his own... There's classy and there's not so classy. I guess getting blown out by 30 points 2 years in a row by the same team and ending your state championship dreams will do that to you... As a coach though, even if not to call off the dogs as a sign of class, respect or mercy, or even to insure your starters' safety, how about letting the backups get a little PT in the state championship game too? Especially the seniors... Oh well... hindsight is 20/20, I guess.
This post was edited on 12/20 12:59 AM by _Molon_Labe_

To all of the people who have been saying DLS said NO to play Folsom in the regular season...You all are wrong. I am not a DLS fan nor a Folsom fan. But i know for a FACT that DLS was contacting a ton of schools to FILL their schedule because no one would play them and Folsom was one of them. and FOLSOM said NO not DLS... just want to clear this up. DLS will never say NO to a team unless their schedule is already full...

Thunder Ram BO HOO..I played in some games that were lopsided, did I like it? No, but I would make every hit count. I just don't understand this play nice attitude people have. If Oceanside coach didn't like it..Bring 9-10 players at the Folsom QB and hit him..Do it until you get to him...That's how you stop a team fro doing that..On the field, but most of you knuckle heads come from this were "All Winners and Special " generation. WTF
There's a difference between playing nice, and not running up the score.

Lots of respect for Folsom went out the window tonight.

One of these days a team is going to hurt a Folsom player, and I imagine the message board heroes will change their tune real quick.

That's funny because I know for a FACT that Folsom did try to schedule DLS and they declined. So....

and yes. Jake Browning was 50 or so yards from being the all time National leader in yards. Folsom was chasing a record tonight. Why not? It's quite possibly one of the best QBs in HS football history. Folsom took out their starters at half many times all year. The 2nd and 3rd RBs stillen the ball down people's throats. End of story. Tonight they let the seniors play out. One of the best HS football teams CA has ever seen. 16 running clocks. Think about that. 16 straight games where they were ahead by 35 going into the 4th qtr. say what you want but they don't care. There is no asterisk next to their record saying **people didn't agree with their lack of class. Tonight the starters DID stay in. But this season Folsom could have beat many teams by 100 points if they wanted and didn't. Oceanside was 14-0 coming into the game. Grant was 14-0 going Into Reigionals. This Folsom team was epic. End of story. Agree or disagree makes no difference. They were outstanding.

Originally posted by MrFootball916:
That's funny because I know for a FACT that Folsom did try to schedule DLS and they declined. So....
... I could think of 2 reasons why DLS would decline a game with Folsom... 1) 2012: 45-17, 2) 2013: 49-15... Lol

You know what's sad as a HS coach for 15 years the focus is off what the kids accomplished and on to the coaches cause they couldn't win with class! It's horse manure to run the score up at a HS level PERIOD! This isn't the NFL!!! ThunderRam makes a huge point about the injury factor! A few years ago Whitney ran a QB sneak up 4 TD's late in the game and destroyed a top prospects leg and hasn't stepped on a college football field yet! If u think its cool to put a huge prospects college career on the line in a 55-7 game you are a straight MORON!!! In any game whether its a reg season or title game! Another sad point is those backups practice their butt off all year just like the starters and are basically punching bags for the starters for 16 weeks! Now u tell me, do u think those kids deserve to play maybe a series or 2 in the state title game as a reward for all their hard work? Great way to teach the backups about being a TEAM!!! Some of my most rewarding times as a coach where when kids that just weren't as talented or big enough or strong enough yet had a huge heart, would get in games late and make a play! The sidelines would go nuts and the starters loved seeing the backups get in there. That's a TEAM!!! They blew a huge chance to reward kids for all their hard work as backups and that's the saddest part about all of this!

It ain't rec league huh mugpush? Have another buddy it's hard to listen to someone that's uses the word ain't!

@mrfootball...its FUNNY because your facts are wrong...being told straight from the mouth of the Athletic director at DLS, that "they tried to schedule Folsom but they said NO...." But i guess that is not a credible source..... These Folsom fans are something else.. Agreed GREAT TEAM best they have probably ever had... but they still lose to DLS this year, but we will never know because THEY(Folsom) said NO...

I would believe that Folsom or DLS said No to scheduling a game this year, as I'm sure They both knew they'd be in the Open Regional playing one another. After schedules were set.....the Reguonal switch was made.

It's too bad....because I don't care what anyone says, this Folsom team could've beat DLS (I didn't say 'would've' )

What garbage by Folsom at the end of the game. If they had played DLS this year I believe it still would have been a
Tout and Briwning might not have lasted the whole game vs the DLS defense

and once again the Folsom coaches miss an opportunity to build their program.
40 kids standing on the sideline watching g Browning throwing g the ball up 55-7 with a run running clock instead of getting playing time which helps for next year. .................
..............towards the end of the the televised game there was a stat put up on the screen that I believe showed 17 seniors, forget how many juniors, 1 sophomore and zero freshmen were playing in this game. The point of these stats was that this was a group of seniors who had been working 4 years toward this moment. But my interpretation was the result of these stats that it would be at least another 4 years before Folsom is back in the playoffs............

Folsom's team this year only behind about 10 DLS teams. And think of the class DLS won with. Something Foldom never learned. And you wonder why I don't like the SJS.

Play in the open then!!

I am all for play the game hard and you have to stop me. There is nor running up score in NFL or even NCAA, especially with top tier D1 teams. But in high school, the talent levels are so varied, even in a championship game. Where do you draw the line? I am not a huge DLS fan but as a longtime coach I respect what's Lad did, so the question is does Coach Lad leave starters in up 48 just to get a record. Don't let Folsom hide under "it was senior last game". DLS has set blueprint of how to dominate with class, I am sure they were several times they could have scored a 100. Folsom could have learned from that. Difference is Karma is a bitch! Can you stay on top, if not don't be mad when it happens to you. I have competed as a coach against Folsom over the years at camps. Coaches have air of arrogance, and we even had some altercations on field. I hate saying all this because this team was really good and this coaching error, IMO has taken shine off kids. Hats off to young men who got it done, shame on coaches.

This post was edited on 12/20 8:00 AM by HSfan82

This post was edited on 12/20 8:00 AM by HSfan82

Haha. Ok. You don't know me. Don't care what the DLS AD said. My source is credible. Keep your panties in a bunch though. It's entertaining to me. Folsom is the most hated football program in the SJS. Probably the state. You know why? They play incredible football. They're not a private Bay Area school. They're public. Go ahead with your "I know a kid from Rocklin who played for Folsom". I don't doubt it. Happens all the time. They stomp on the gas and don't let up. You a have your opinions but they clearly don't care. They were chasing national and state records for their team and their kids. The commentators even knew it was going to happen before the game. Then it DID happen and I felt bad for the Oside coaches and kids. Humiliating.

Folsom competes with themselves. Lots of graduating seniors but you watch. They'll be back in Reigionals in a couple years. JV team was 8-1 this year and 10-0 the previous. Those are the juniors and seniors. So within their leagues at least Folsom's kids are beating their opponents. Frosh team this year was 9-1 as well. It's a system at Folsom. Top down. Hate away haters. I'm out. See y'all next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT