ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom--- class or no class

Next week Folsom should call DLS and say "let's play an early season game next year", but they won't because they know DLS could drop 70-80 points on them

The difference between knowing your the best and trying to prove you are the best is the difference you see between Dela and Folsom. They really let themselves down, and took away from an incredible season and the reputation they have built. It makes you question the stats their QB has compiled. There is no doubt he is a stud, but it is like kids playing a video game trying to get the high score. The players have to get more out of it than winning by 50. Respect your opponents and the spirit of competition.

Originally posted by mtnjohn:
Folsom's team this year only behind about 10 DLS teams. And think of the class DLS won with. Something Foldom never learned. And you wonder why I don't like the SJS.
Come on mtnjohn! It's one team. Kinda like saying I don't like the NCS because CVC was placed on probation. Use your head, man.

I had to post on this, simply because of the garbage that is being thrown around on here. There are many DLS fans that watched the Folsom game last night and truly believe Folsom could have, and would have beat them. That is why they are coming on here and arguing that Folsom did not "win the right way." Well folks, here it is for you...No matter how Folsom won tonight, people would come on here and bash them. No matter what. If the score would have been remotely close, all of you would have said, "see! I know they were not that good!" That would add fuel to your fire that Folsom could not possibly beat DLS. That is laughable. Did you see the game last night!? Did you see the kids on Oceanside's team? They were a VERY GOOD team. So, when Folsom blows out Oceanside, you couldn't possibly say a bad thing about how good they are, so you turn it around to say, "I can't believe they were throwing the ball in the 2nd half! No class!"

To anyone reading this- Most of the people on here are extremely jealous because Folsom absolutely ROLLED all of their teams, and most good teams in Northern California. They need a witch to hunt. Unfortunately, there's not much you can say about the best SJS team to EVER come out of Northern California. That is not an opinion. That is a fact. The black and white statistics and record book will say so for a very long time. It is time to accept the truth.

I want to address the notion that Folsom was "slinging it" in the 4th second half. Did you guys not watch the second half!? That is almost laughable. I bet most of you just saw the score and assumed. Please go back and watch the tape. Truth is always in the tape. Go look how Folsom scored their touchdowns in the second half. Then, tell me they were "slinging it." They're last two touchdowns were almost flukes. They scored on a screen pass, on a 3rd and 30ish. The Folsom player broke about 10 tackles to score. This was not "slinging it" down the field. That was a very conservative play on a 3rd and 30ish. The last touchdown was scored when a Folsom player picked up a fumble by Oceanside's QB and basically walked into the end zone, untouched. Could he have just fell down? Sure he could of. But he didn't. Get over it. This is not "everyone gets a trophy" football anymore. You have all seen the competition, the work, the time that goes into these teams.

Bottom line. Folsom was unreal this year. Accept that. Move on. Pay them their dues. They did win with class. They played hard from bell to bell and never talked a bit of trash (even against teams like Grant who were in their face constantly with taunts). Go look at last nights tape and the one against Grant. If you look hard enough you will see Folsom lineman actually helping the opposing team get up after a hard hit. That is class.

And last but not least...Congrats Folsom! The BEST ever in SJS history.

Why do running teams get off the hook in these situations. The 'classy' thing about running the ball in the 4th quarter in a pro or college game is that the clock doesn't stop, but the clock is already running the entire 4th quarter in these hs games. It actually burns more time per play to pass the ball. Why does a team like dls who runs for 400 yards a game get to be considered classy when they continue running their offense in the 4th quarter. The other thing people overlook is that spread teams are not built to run the ball in all situations. When a defense knows a spread team is going to run they can overload the box and stop them. Folsom runs so effectively because teams are expecting the pass. If they load up the box, it gets more difficult. I would like to see dls line up and throw 5 yard hitch after 5 yard hitch when they get their running clock. That is the equivalent of what people want folsom to do.

I don't know much about the starter situation and I do think its a good idea to let backups get reps, but this is also a team that has blown out every team they played. Maybe they wanted their starters to get to play one full game in their last time out.

If you can't do that in the state championship when can you?

Take always from this game:
1. Folsom is an outstanding team. Not just their passing attack, but their O & D lines, LB's and RB's are excellent players. That safety was something else coming in on those blitzes.
2. Browning is the real deal. Can make all the throws, has a protypical body type, and judging by his demiener on the field, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Any fan of good QB play has to love this kid. WA is salivating. I hope he keeps it going up there.
3. Coaching staff is excellent. From pad level on the lines, to QB and WR reads, these kids are always in the right spots and executing with precision. They don't whiff on tackles and they swarm to the ball. Not to mention the off season regiment has definitely payed dividends, as most of their kids look huge.
4. Folsom is a top 15 type team in the nation, and I don't say that lightly. They very well could be top 5, but we will just never know since they didn't play a regional open.
5. Folsom running up the score the way they do is classless.
6. Folsom has no respect for their opponents.
7. Philosophy appears to be: Kick a man while he's down, and keep kicking him in the ribs. What does this teach the student athletes? This is only a high school game, not college or pros.
8. I would hate to be on the 2nd or 3rd team on the Folsom squad. The second and third teams should have been playing the entire 4th quarter. They should have been getting evaluated in a game to get ready for next year.
9. It is idiotic to risk kids that have full rides waiting for them at the next level when the game is already won. Even if the kids and parents want to play and break the records. Both real prizes had already been obtained; A 16-0 record and a state championship, and kids get to go onto the next level. Why risk a scholarship for greed and a HS stat record. The only stat that matters is 16-0.
10. It's too bad there wasn't an open North regional game. I would have loved to see this team go up against a national powerhouse type of team such as DLS, Centenial, or St. John Bosco. I think this Folsom team could have at least given DLS a better game this year, and who knows......

This post was edited on 12/20 9:42 AM by 3Yards&ACloudOfDust

Sorry, but you post illustrates exactly the problem. THE PLAYERS were obviously classy and respectable. No showboating, taunting, or any behavior that took away from what play had just been made. You're right that's classy. THE COACHES, however, is a different deal. If they were as classy as the players, then you'd have a different story. No one resented coach Lad at DLS, because of his style. They resented the results. People hate Folsom's rub it-in-you-face style, and that's a shame because the players and THE SYSTEM should be celebrated for what they have accomplished. I have no dog in this hunt, having played football in northern california, and my nephews have never played against Folsom. I'm just an old school fan who was taught to win and lose with dignity and class. The fact that anything other than the way Folsom was prepared, executed, and conquered is being discussed should give you pause, as a Folsom fan. I don't "hate" anything about Folsom. I dislike the notion of running up scores to set records.

@mrfootball

my panties are definitely not in a bunch. I just do not like people who say things that are not true...and yes folsom is a 'public" school, and I have had this argument before, and Folsom is not the only school who does this....although Folsom is a "public" school and not private it is OPEN enrollment and i can GUARANTEE you that everyone on their roster is not from Folsom. I have argued that the CIF needs to get involved with this, and either make all schools open enrollment, or crack down on the school lines so that kids are not just going to schools for football. I know they have caught a few kids here and there, but they need a universal rule, either let all schools receive kids from anywhere or none. and like i said Folsom is not the only school who does this, Clayton Valley "charter" being another. If you can prove me wrong and show me that every kid on Folsom lives in Folsom then I will never post on this board again. And Folsom is not hated for playing great football, like I have said before i am glad a NorCal team won in the state bowl game and especially a team from the SJS. I also agree that Folsom is a GREAT team. They are hated for throwing GO routes up 55 in the 4th quarter....It is just like any other sport's Etiquette, if your up by 55 you have made your point, you dont have to go and throw GO routes....I have played football in high school, college, and the NFL and everyone knows this to be a universal feeling. So in closing Congrats to Folsom, NorCal, and the SJS, but i do agree that Folsom needed to not do what they did at the end of that game....

Honestly, there is right and there is wrong. In my opinion, it's simply never okay to universally put your own desires above the opportunity to teach sportsmanship. Those Folsom seniors learned a lesson okay, it's just not one I would want taught to my athlete. It's not a culture I could ever buy into. In my mind, although they were dominated on the score board, in the end, I have more respect for Oceanside. It's crazy to have a team blowing people out all season long and not have underclass men that get significant play time so that you can build a program. This short sighted approach will be obvious next year when the "team" takes a huge step backwards.
Creating ill will is never the route to choose when you have a choice. As someone mentioned, you don't see this behavior in NCAA or Pro's as they understand the nuances of the game. And by the way, a high school record is a joke unless you put attempts into the equation so people can see the yards wracked up are a result of lop sided and selfish football which includes keeping a starter in when 95 percent of the coaches in the US would not make that choice. What about the back up QB? It would have been a great opportunity for him to be appreciated for his efforts all year when he must have known Coach would never play him.

Normally, I think running up the score is in bad taste. In league games, non league early, 1st couple of rounds in the playoffs, but this is the STATE championship. I am with Mr. Football on this one. Oceanside was still trying to compete. Look at Os trying to score, down to squeezing in one last play, when Os could have just let the clock run out. These Os kids had a great year, They got beat, they know it, the PC attitude is the only thing letting these Os players down,

Leaving the college bound players in was not worth the risk of injury in my estimation. Folsom got lucky. Anyone know if Os senior/starters were in to end the game? Same applies to them

Originally posted by hofwhscos:
Sorry, but you post illustrates exactly the problem. THE PLAYERS were obviously classy and respectable. No showboating, taunting, or any behavior that took away from what play had just been made. You're right that's classy. THE COACHES, however, is a different deal. If they were as classy as the players, then you'd have a different story. No one resented coach Lad at DLS, because of his style. They resented the results. People hate Folsom's rub it-in-you-face style, and that's a shame because the players and THE SYSTEM should be celebrated for what they have accomplished. I have no dog in this hunt, having played football in northern california, and my nephews have never played against Folsom. I'm just an old school fan who was taught to win and lose with dignity and class. The fact that anything other than the way Folsom was prepared, executed, and conquered is being discussed should give you pause, as a Folsom fan. I don't "hate" anything about Folsom. I dislike the notion of running up scores to set records.
Perfectly said - Thanks!

All of you are funny. Running up the score!? Folsom could have dropped 100 on that team last night. But they didn't. As I said before, truth is in the tape. GO WATCH THE TAPE. Folsom was not scoring on "go routes" and 50 yard bombs. Most of their touchdowns were on conservative play calls. Can you imagine if they really let Browning sling it!? C'mon, put it all in perspective. I don't see anyone talking about DLS 60 point blow out's this year. And why is that? The answer I get is "well, coach Lad taught them class." That is BS. Many other teams are doing the same thing, if not worse, than Folsom has done to teams all year. If Folsom wanted to, they could have scored 100 on most of their opponents.

For once, let's just put our hands together and clap for Folsom. Because we have all witnessed one of the best single season performances by any team, from anywhere. If your jealous of what Folsom did, get off the Internet and start building your own program to compete. You will need it.

Yes, it's better to run the ball even if they are stacking the box. If the clock is running without stopping the game has been declared over. The Idea at that point, shouldn't be to score more unless you are just basically unstoppable, and it's your benchwarmers doing it. At least by running basically straight you are giving them the opportunity to stop you, even if they are overmatched. Other than just taking a knee, it's the least controversial thing you could do in that circumstance.

Please clarify how Folsom "rubs it in your face"? Because they can pass the ball at will, which no one at the high school level can!? That is not in your face. DLS cannot throw the ball like Folsom can because it is not their strength. They DO run the ball for 400 yards a game. That is MUCH MORE in your face than what Folsom does. But hey, "coach LAD taught them different." That is not a free pass. Keep everyone on a level playing field and give credit where credit is due.

I see a lot of jealousy on this forum today. Many people upset that Folsom is being considered as possibly better than DLS. Many people just cannot take that. You will see my point will all the replies.
This post was edited on 12/20 9:18 AM by G61

Dude, you don't get it. We should be, and are celebrating what this Folsom team has done. anyone who is a fan of High School football has to be impressed. We're talking about something totally different. Do you think anyone would have a problem, if it's Browning's BACKUP making that screen pass on 3rd and forever? Hell no! But the fact that it was Browning throwing it, up 55-7, IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, that people have issue with. Those seniors should have been on the bench, laughing, making, "I'm going to Disneyland" videos and blowing kisses to the crowd, NOT IN THE GAME! All of us who played, played in our final game, as seniors and I guarantee you the vast majority of us who were starters were sitting out in the final minutes, if we were fortunate to be on the delivering end of that final game blowout. Recognize that, and you'll understand why this cheats those same seniors.

That is purely your opinion. What YOU think should have happened, did not. Get over it. If you want to coach Folsom, then put your name in the hat. Then you can make all the decisions you want and play all the second stringers you want, when you want. Simple as that. Until then, respect the decisions of others. Don't Monday morning quarterback from your computer and talk about what is right and what is wrong. Give props to the team and leave it at that.

And as a senior in the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP of my final high school game, I would never want to be watching from the sidelines. That is a COP OUT. You finish what you start. Folsom did. And, they will be remembered forever. Like I said before, move on. Get over it.

We'll it appears that my opinion is shared by others on this board, but that's cool. The only thing on these boards are opinions shared by fans of high school football, and the opinion that Folsom is classless is a shame, if for no other reason that it's a distraction to the memory and achievement of the team. Get over that.

The only distraction to the memory of this amazing Folsom team is the one you and other jealous people have created. YOU need to get over it. You witnessed history last night. Embrace it. Taste it. Enjoy it. Wear it :)
This post was edited on 12/20 9:42 AM by G61

Agree... get your state title and stay classy. You were allowed to avoid De La Salle so at least be more humble.

Folsom would have beaten DLS this year. How's that for a statement!? Well, last nights game serves as that statement. Win big. Win with class.

And, as a senior in my last game at THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, on the sidelines, celebrating our big win, as the guys who usually don't get to play, are winding the clock down, is precisely where I'd want to be. It means we've won, and the bench is playing in the biggest game of the year. That's a TEAM accomplishment.

Originally posted by hofwhscos:
Yes, it's better to run the ball even if they are stacking the box. If the clock is running without stopping the game has been declared over. The Idea at that point, shouldn't be to score more unless you are just basically unstoppable, and it's your benchwarmers doing it. At least by running basically straight you are giving them the opportunity to stop you, even if they are overmatched. Other than just taking a knee, it's the least controversial thing you could do in that circumstance.
It's the least controversial because it is the status quo. It's the status quo based on the fact that historically teams have had running offenses, especially at the hs level, and this was the way that you kept the clock running in the past. The clock runs now regardless, so no need to avoid passing just to keep the clock running. Everyone wants folsom to completely abandon what they do when they are winning. Why shouldn't running teams have to do the same and simply throw short passes over and over again? It sound ridiculous but it is no different than insisting folsom run every play.

I find it so funny that win a team dominates in every aspect of the game, all the jealous people come out and start saying things like, "well you didn't do it with class!" or "I didn't like the way they did that!" Just congratulate them and move on. After all, this is high school. And this Folsom team is better than ANY of the teams any of you anonymous posters every played on :) BOOM!

Score would've been the same if it was De La Salle. Except DLS would have 55. Folsom throttled all of their opponents the past two years as well only to be embarrased by DLS. Folsom would have struggled against Cal, Liberty and especially Pittsburg. All subjective, but fun to discuss.

hofwhscos[/URL] stop it. The only game you played in was probably on JV, on a losing team. You just hate the fact that you witnessed the BEST team to ever come out of SJS last night. It truly bothers you. That is why you are making stuff up to complain about. The fact is, Folsom would have MOPPED any team that YOU ever played for. Taste it :) Wear it :)

East bay arrogance would have gotten DLS a pounding at the hands of Folsom. Look what socal arrogance got Oceanside last night. It's so funny that people have gotten so angry that a team other than DLS is the best in CA. It just burns people! I love it! LOL

Hats off to Folsom, great team, but that was not class by the coaches, far from it.

G61, you are about as classy as your Folsom coaches.
This post was edited on 12/20 9:59 AM by Dooer

Del Oro is the one program who had the opportunity to play both Folsom and De La Salle. In the 4th quarter, DLS was up big and the kicker decided to on side kick. DLS recovered the ball. The coaches immediately pulled the kid out of the game and they were visibly un-happy. After the game, the coaches and DLS AD all apologized to the Del Oro coaching staff. This is pursuing victory with honor. Don't think for a second that the Southern Section did not take notes last night. Folsom might of just pissed off a sleeping giant. Being a federation and the fact each sections makes their own rules, how would it look if the Southern Section put forward their best teams rather than have them all eliminate each other in the open division? Folsom could quickly find themselves on the other end of that score against a Pac 5 school. Additionally, all this conversation about Folsom vs DLS is ridiculous. Everyone in coaching knows that the rule this year where the Open Division got a free pass to the state title is called the Folsom Rule. So many complaints came in after the previous two years from Folsom fans that they changed the format. Wow, I would love to see Southern Section do the same and then we would be looking at DLS vs Centennial and Folsom vs St. John Bosco.

The only people saying the coaches were "classless" are people with profiles from the Bay Area. Arrogance. You guy's just can't accept the fact that Folsom is great. Drop the "we are better than you" attitude and give them props. Don't be your typical "bay area parent." That is legendary, what we witnessed last night.

Thank You !!!!! Finally an objective post that nailed it. All this drivel about potential injuries to Browning doesn't make sense. A football player can get injured on any given play. This is a state bowl game...it's obvious that all these seniors who haven't played a full game the entire season wanted to compete for the full 48....what's wrong with that? The statements about getting the backups in for experience.....they have been getting "experience" in the second half the entire year! It's also clear that most of complaining is coming from DLS/NCS supporters who find it impossible to congratulate and elavate this incredible team. And lastly, I do believe this team could compete with and has the potential to beat DLS this year. Last years team was almost entirely made up of juniors (and the year before sophmores) and had several key players out with injuries. Then when you add Jonah Williams who moved here from Georgia you have a dominant line that does not allow opposing teams to run the ball. No one has been able to run on them this year. DLS was able to pressure Browning the past two years but this line is much better than in the past. Anyway, we will never know for sure but Folsom deserves to be considered as one of the best teams to ever come out of Nor Cal.

I completely agree. ALL of this criticism is coming from people that either hate Folsom because they got rolled in the SJS, or it is the DLS NCS people that can never admit that anyone else is good besides themselves. That is complete arrogance. Everyone gives DLS their credit when credit is due. Please do the same for Folsom. They deserve it.

Earlier this season when DLS played, I believe Del Oro, the kicker did a weird kick that turned into an onsides kick situation. The kicker claimed it was a miss kick. I believe he was made to apologize to the other teams coach as a result of the poor sportsmanship.
Contrast that with what happened last night. In the name of padding his already incredible career statistics, Browning was played until the last minute of the game. They risked injury? Yes! They got his record(s)? Yes! They got the win? Most certainly! Did they experience a once in a lifetime accomplishment? You bet. But one life lesson was absent. Humility. I put it on the coaches. The Sac Bee had an article talking about how good of a person Browning is. I believe it. His leaders let him down. They should have had a talk with him before the game and discouraged the attempt at the records. Explaining why the high road should be taken. Quit the bullshit of "this is a championship game." You are up by 50 you let off the gas. relish the victory and safely return home. Now what? A tarnish has already descended upon the program. It's a shame.
For those saying DLS would do or does the same? Lad stepped away from the head coach job at 399 wins. If it was Taylor he comes back in first game of following year and wins then retires. At least that's the impression given by how he handled last night. Lad even commented at his retirement press conference that he thought it would "be lame" to come back for that milestone. He even said that later in history if someone came upon the record it would be cool to think that he must have died before the milestone could be reached. Humility!
Congratulations to the Folsom Players. Congrats to Jake Browning on an amazing high school career. I wish you well at the next level.

The difference between knowing your the best and trying to prove you are the best is the difference you see between Dela and Folsom. They really let themselves down, and took away from an incredible season and the reputation they have built. It makes you question the stats their QB has compiled. There is no doubt he is a stud, but it is like kids playing a video game trying to get the high score. The players have to get more out of it than winning by 50. Respect your opponents and the spirit of competition.

Originally posted by G61:
East bay arrogance would have gotten DLS a pounding at the hands of Folsom. Look what socal arrogance got Oceanside last night. It's so funny that people have gotten so angry that a team other than DLS is the best in CA. It just burns people! I love it! LOL
45-17
49-15

Pound that table big boy.

And what exactly is wrong with playing everyone on the team then if the game is not in jeopardy or in question? Do the other players practice and make the same team commitments?

I have met the Folsom coaches and Browning.You will not find better quality people anywhere. All you PC whiners need to take your participation trophy and ball and go home.... It's safe there... no one will get physically or emotionally hurt....you can wear your DLS pajamas and "compete" with your own imagination there.

Originally posted by G61:

And this Folsom team is better than ANY of the teams any of you anonymous posters every played on :) BOOM!
Our third string would have been finishing off a hypothetical game with this Folsom team.

The way you're supposed to end a blowout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT