ADVERTISEMENT

Frank McManus out at Mater Dei

No reason given either. I expect the next coach will either be Khaled Holmes or a previous candidate who interviewed. Maybe Logan or another coach outside southern California.

Big success brings big problems. When spotlight on you, you have to be squeaky clean and clearly he wasn’t. Something fishy and school trying to sweep under rug

Seems like he was a tad immature and pompous but how is that different than MD cultural in general? I'm saying somebody with deeper pockets wanted him gone.
We going to fire a guy for wearing his hat on backwards? Look at the NFL coaches and the outfits Bill Bellachek got away with for years. He won. Period.
But its a biz and big money so the beat goes on.

Reactions: THEOC89
There was something very telling in the article: "He should have acknowledged Rollinson, the admin, etc." (even if he didn't mean it.) Being able to massage certain egos, even if it turns your stomach, is part of being a HC. Not just at a high level program but really anywhere.

I think when a fiery DC type takes on the HC position, these little subtleties get lost. He understood the game inside the lines, just not the game outside of them. And it cost him.

You have to know someone in the know. MD’s roster is littered with Bay Area talent, I’d suggest asking one of those parents.
To your point, I recently heard through the baseball “rumor mill” one of the top players in Nor Cal is Transferring down there to play FB at MD…..

Seems like he was a tad immature and pompous but how is that different than MD cultural in general? I'm saying somebody with deeper pockets wanted him gone.
We going to fire a guy for wearing his hat on backwards? Look at the NFL coaches and the outfits Bill Bellachek got away with for years. He won. Period.
But its a biz and big money so the beat goes on.
Totally…. There are no deeper pockets then MD….. Just in tuition every year they bring in upwards of $40 million…..

That FB program is like a $4-5 million dollar business with tickets, donations, etc…. If anyone thinks Rollo was there because of X’s and O’ the last 10 years they are crazy….. 🤣

The real story now is former Newman and UCD great Randy Wright is the interim coach and could end up taking over the program. He was at JSerra before coming over to MD.
Also look for former Servite Coach Troy Taylor to be a Dark Horse there…. He is tight with Brennen….. Although I am not sure Brennen can sell that to the Donors/Alumni….. 🤣

Sounds like Frank definitely had some missteps and sticking it out could hurt the brand in the arms race they have with Bosco.

But it is kind of crazy the expectations Mater Dei's admin and community have. Felt like the story didn't address that part well.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Details didn’t seem that “juicy “ just a ball coach who didn’t want to smooze with the donors and alumni

Lol…

You read past THE key thing though I don’t blame you. They really did make the article about Frank and his hat (maybe he grew up a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr, I don’t know). Think about the last bit where the President said in December that the school had hired the right guy. McManus hasn’t coached a game since and i seriously doubt the President plugged in the game film only to discover FrankieMac to be a backward hat wearing meathead.

The article cited issues of discipline within the program and truthfully, that’s what did McManus in. You have to remember that Rollinson abandoned ship as it was sinking. It’s not like he got the Mariano Rivera retirement tour around the Trinity League, buddy legitimately made a beeline for the door as his old butt-cheeks sizzled from the seat he was on.

The issue is McManus came in and basically assumed the role of substitute teacher. Rollinson had no control over the program and Frank did nothing to fix it. He was the defensive backs coach prior to his promotion, do you think the Receiver’s room just naturally respected him? The offensive line room probably didn’t even know who the shit he was.

The truth is, the foundation of the program McManus inherited was full of dry-rot and termites but did nothing to fix it. He just happily lived in the mansion like a King for a year and now that it’s time to make improvements, squatter has to go!

I will give no additional details about this but let’s just say it’s ugly in Santa Ana right now and the inmates have taken over the asylum.

Lol…

You read past THE key thing though I don’t blame you. They really did make the article about Frank and his hat (maybe he grew up a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr, I don’t know). Think about the last bit where the President said in December that the school had hired the right guy. McManus hasn’t coached a game since and i seriously doubt the President plugged in the game film only to discover FrankieMac to be a backward hat wearing meathead.

The article cited issues of discipline within the program and truthfully, that’s what did McManus in. You have to remember that Rollinson abandoned ship as it was sinking. It’s not like he got the Mariano Rivera retirement tour around the Trinity League, buddy legitimately made a beeline for the door as his old butt-cheeks sizzled from the seat he was on.

The issue is McManus came in and basically assumed the role of substitute teacher. Rollinson had no control over the program and Frank did nothing to fix it. He was the defensive backs coach prior to his promotion, do you think the Receiver’s room just naturally respected him? The offensive line room probably didn’t even know who the shit he was.

The truth is, the foundation of the program McManus inherited was full of dry-rot and termites but did nothing to fix it. He just happily lived in the mansion like a King for a year and now that it’s time to make improvements, squatter has to go!

I will give no additional details about this but let’s just say it’s ugly in Santa Ana right now and the inmates have taken over the asylum.
You used a lot of words to say nothing.You told us the reason was juicy and you would let the writers do their jobs.Well they did their job and nothing you claim was even remotely mentioned.Believe me if there was even an inkling of impropriety the number one MD hater would have written five articles on them by now.

You used a lot of words to say nothing.You told us the reason was juicy and you would let the writers do their jobs.Well they did their job and nothing you claim was even remotely mentioned.Believe me if there was even an inkling of impropriety the number one MD hater would have written five articles on them by now.
Agree. Far from juicy. Seems like a lot of nothing and he did a poor job of greasing the alumni and glad handing. Move on.

Lol…

A real game of thrones going on down there. I also heard MD is in the red with all their free tuition catching up. McManus wasn’t making much either.

Reactions: LecheDeMiPalo
We will see what happens, but I think this is a good hire!
I remember Raul Lara when he coached at Poly with players like DeSean Jackson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marcedes Lewis, Winston Justice and Darnell Bing. He won CIF 5 times, which I believe was the highest you could go in that time period. I think Lara will be a good fit, especially with his pedigree and connections with MD president Brennan, but I know many people wanted Lenny Vandermade as the coach. He is coaching currently at SI.

I remember Raul Lara when he coached at Poly with players like DeSean Jackson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marcedes Lewis, Winston Justice and Darnell Bing. He won CIF 5 times, which I believe was the highest you could go in that time period. I think Lara will be a good fit, especially with his pedigree and connections with MD president Brennan, but I know many people wanted Lenny Vandermade as the coach. He is coaching currently at SI.
Lara and Rollo are also good friends…. I think this will work out well for MD….

Reactions: aztecpadre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT