ADVERTISEMENT

High School Umpiring

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo
What does an association "do" if a tenured member - with 99% impeccable plate mechanics - also has a dark side to his being able to handle game situations without ejecting players and coaches. This individual has had 6 ejections and three appeals have gone in favor of those he ejected. Whether behind the plate or on the bases - it seems terminal - that every before game, in game and post game confrontation - no matter how small leads to this umpire taking glee in ejecting the participants or their coaches.

Thoughts?

Terra Nova vs. Prep

Not knowing all the facts, arguing the strike zone no matter the ump often will get you tossed. The batting helmet thing? Wow looks like someone on a power trip just looking to toss someone for no reason what so ever. That does raise a red flag along with the high number of other ejections.

A pet peeve of mine is umpires usurping their authority. Never have a problem with an umpire who is hustling, is in position, and has a good demeanor. They are going to miss calls just like coaches are. You can live with that. The lazy guy with a bad attitude who uses his authority is another thing. Luckily, there are many more of the former than the latter.

Just going from the article, I would think the ejections were warranted. Here me out:

Arguing balls and strikes in a high school game is a BIG no, no. On top of the lopsided score and the SHP not playing very well, I assume the coach was at his wits end to begin with. If the umpire missed a call or two, the next one just put the coach over the edge. I wasn't there so I do know how he react or played up the crowd. Assuming he did, the ump was probably frustrated to with the way the game was going and tossed the coach.

As for the second coach, whether a brother, son, or father of the Head Coach (again, I don't know the staff), came in with a chip on his shoulder and had chirped too. Asst. High School coaches don't carry much weight with umpires so I am sure the rope was short, hence the Asst. got ejected.

As for the kid (could be a nice kid), if he lied to the umpire, he lied to the umpire. That is an easy one. I don't necessarily blame the kids (they do dumb things sometimes). But lying to an umpire/adult figure is a total sign of disrespect and ejection seemed warranted. The coaches already set the example and the kid went along with it. He got caught, and will now have to suffer the consequences for the coaches not taking the high road.

Again, I wasn't at the game, don't know the history of the umpire in question. Hopefully next time SHP scores more runs, plays better defense to take any (or series) of suspect calls out of the equation.

Wrote this while NCSF was writing too. I agree, a lot of confrontations are avoided IF the umpire shows hustle, gets in the best position possible and feels he/she is working his but off for the fee. Coaches are a little less likely to be opinionated if they know their umpire is hustling are working as hard as they are.
This post was edited on 4/3 7:05 PM by CityVibesII

The three ejections were appealed. The Head coach was re-instated as was the player coaching first base. The original first base coaches EJ was upheld.

In the rematch SHP defeated TN 8-7.

rematch

Originally posted by Where Are They Now:
The three ejections were appealed. The Head coach was re-instated as was the player coaching first base. The original first base coaches EJ was upheld.

In the rematch SHP defeated TN 8-7.
Sounds like 2/3 common sense prevailed. Maybe the first one was warranted? But the other two (HC and player) were obviously crap, as judged by the overturn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT