ADVERTISEMENT

Impact freshmen

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
I have heard moreau has a impact freshmen Kyrie walker that is suppose
To be the real deal are there anymore freshmen that will impact the local scene
and have major impact this season.

Robbie Beasley (Dublin) and Kendall Munson (Capital) also pop to mind right away.

A
Streak how good is Munson and beasley?[/QUOTE
Kendall played with the Soldiers 2020 team with Kyree in middle school. He had gotten more aggressive and will probably have a big impact his freashman year.

Munson has plenty of physical tools, plays hard and is showing some skill level too

Haven't seen as much as Beasley, but looked like an athletic, strong point guard. Him and Falls will put some pressure on both ends this year

Kyree Walker is the real deal no doubt - I've seen him play many times over the last three + years for the Oakland Soldier / Town teams. He's going to make an immediate impact with Moreau Catholic. Already has an offer from University of Arizona (read it on the Internet so it must be true!).

Kendall Munson is a man child at 6'8" and would start for most teams but I don't know what Capital Christian has for front-court players. Fred Burton is another 2020 for Capital Christian who is very good.

Robbie Beasley isn't as physically imposing as Kyree and Kendall but already has an offer from Montana. Haven't seen Robbie play in over a year so not sure how well he'll do going up against high school level competition.

Two highly regarded 2020 guards are Devin Askew (from Sacramento area not sure what high school though) and Jamir Thomas (Berkeley High).

Shemar Morrow who I'd put on the same level as Kyree and Kendall recently moved from Sacramento to SoCal so I am disappointed we won't see him on the NorCal scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: meezymo
Kyree Walker is by far the best Frosh in Norcal. Ranked nationally & at 6'4 can do it all.
Beasley reminded me of a lil bit bigger Jordan Ford @same stage
Munson is very very good also
Can't wait for the season to start & see how the young guys adjust to hs ball

Kyree Walker is by far the best Frosh in Norcal. Ranked nationally & at 6'4 can do it all.
Beasley reminded me of a lil bit bigger Jordan Ford @same stage
Munson is very very good also
Can't wait for the season to start & see how the young guys adjust to hs ball

If Walker is "by far" better than the kid I saw playing for Capital, then Mr Walker is one hell of a player. I got to see him play. Because the kid from Capital in nice.

If Walker is "by far" better than the kid I saw playing for Capital, then Mr Walker is one hell of a player. I got to see him play. Because the kid from Capital in nice.

My take is that Kyree is a much different type of player than Kendall. Kyree at 6'5" plays point guard and is fairly thick and muscular (think Stanley Johnson - Mater Dei body type). As you know from watching Kendall he's a post player that runs the floor well. I believe Kendall has more upside potential from where he is now as he is a bit younger plus bigger men develop late. At this juncture I'd take Kyree with my first pick as he's more of a finished product - i.e., good handles, decent intermediate / 3 pt shooter, strong enough to finish in traffic with guys hanging on him.

I wouldn't be surprised if both ultimately end up at a Prolific Prep, Findlay Prep or similar program and possibly reclassify to 2019 at some point as I believe they are that good.

Reactions: hoopwilla
My take is that Kyree is a much different type of player than Kendall. Kyree at 6'5" plays point guard and is fairly thick and muscular (think Stanley Johnson - Mater Dei body type). As you know from watching Kendall he's a post player that runs the floor well. I believe Kendall has more upside potential from where he is now as he is a bit younger plus bigger men develop late. At this juncture I'd take Kyree with my first pick as he's more of a finished product - i.e., good handles, decent intermediate / 3 pt shooter, strong enough to finish in traffic with guys hanging on him.

I wouldn't be surprised if both ultimately end up at a Prolific Prep, Findlay Prep or similar program and possibly reclassify to 2019 at some point as I believe they are that good.

YEAH RIGHT... Moreau Catholic plays a National competitive schedule... It's not like he plays for Liberty or Rio Vista High... there is NO need to go to those schools if your schools investing in you and puts you in those high competitive/exposure tournaments and showcases! A prep school is not the answer to all your dreams.

Kyree Walker already has plenty of exposure and will do fine at Moreau. It didnt hurt Damari or Oscar. He should reclassify to Class of 2018 considering he is a two-year holdback.

Reactions: nostancenochance
Kyree Walker is the real deal no doubt - I've seen him play many times over the last three + years for the Oakland Soldier / Town teams. He's going to make an immediate impact with Moreau Catholic. Already has an offer from University of Arizona (read it on the Internet so it must be true!).

Kendall Munson is a man child at 6'8" and would start for most teams but I don't know what Capital Christian has for front-court players. Fred Burton is another 2020 for Capital Christian who is very good.

Robbie Beasley isn't as physically imposing as Kyree and Kendall but already has an offer from Montana. Haven't seen Robbie play in over a year so not sure how well he'll do going up against high school level competition.

Two highly regarded 2020 guards are Devin Askew (from Sacramento area not sure what high school though) and Jamir Thomas (Berkeley High).

Shemar Morrow who I'd put on the same level as Kyree and Kendall recently moved from Sacramento to SoCal so I am disappointed we won't see him on the NorCal scene.
Munson is a very nice prospect and I believe he's a young frosh. He's 6-6 tops these listing of him at 6-8 are absurd. Regardless looks like he will grow. Plays with a motor and is athletic. Morrow and askew moved down to la and our at la mirada high school.

YEAH RIGHT... Moreau Catholic plays a National competitive schedule... It's not like he plays for Liberty or Rio Vista High... there is NO need to go to those schools if your schools investing in you and puts you in those high competitive/exposure tournaments and showcases! A prep school is not the answer to all your dreams.

Tell that to Brandon Ashley, Dominic Artis, Alfred Hollins, Carlos Johnson, Ira Lee, et al. Kyree has been ranked at or near the top of his 2020 class for three years so this isn't just a nice player but potentially a lottery pick type talent. Let's check back in two years and we'll see who's right as I don't think my speculation is too far fetched and is more a sign of the times for elite high school players. His family already relocated from Georgia to California - I assume specifically for basketball aspirations......

I am anti-prep schools by the way but can't ignore the fact they aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately......

Tell that to Brandon Ashley, Dominic Artis, Alfred Hollins, Carlos Johnson, Ira Lee, et al. Kyree has been ranked at or near the top of his 2020 class for three years so this isn't just a nice player but potentially a lottery pick type talent. Let's check back in two years and we'll see who's right as I don't think my speculation is too far fetched and is more a sign of the times for elite high school players. His family already relocated from Georgia to California - I assume specifically for basketball aspirations......

I am anti-prep schools by the way but can't ignore the fact they aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately......
Aaron Gordon and Damian Lillard blows that premise that Prep Schools get you the best exposure. With AAU, Scouting services, and Social Media, if you are a promising player, colleges will be knocking on your door.

It's not about exposure. It's about playing against and with elite level talent every night. It's about playing a few games on ESPN. It's about continuing to develop in to the best possible basketball player you can be. Not having to play against the Kenedys where you're up 40 at half and don't get to play the rest of the game. Prep isn't always the best route but has done plenty of good for most. Look at he kid Kenny Wooten he went from having committed to Nevada which is a pretty good program. To now having an official visit to Cal. Big difference.

It's not about exposure. It's about playing against and with elite level talent every night. It's about playing a few games on ESPN. It's about continuing to develop in to the best possible basketball player you can be. Not having to play against the Kenedys where you're up 40 at half and don't get to play the rest of the game. Prep isn't always the best route but has done plenty of good for most. Look at he kid Kenny Wooten he went from having committed to Nevada which is a pretty good program. To now having an official visit to Cal. Big difference.
There's a difference when you say "Prep" school programs. The Prolific and Findlay Preps are schools where parents want their kids playing in national tourneys, espn, etc. There's also prep schools that act as a bridge between HS and College to get the kids academically ready for a 4-year college curriculum. Sounds like Kenny wanted to boost his academic qualifications for Cal? Good for him!

Walker looks old. A 2 year holdback? ha ha. Why call him a fresh then. Reminds me a lot of of Carlos Johnson (El Cerrito/Findlay Prep). Be interesting to see if he's fully grown. Sort of just beats HS kids up with his strength.

Why are you guys hyping kids as elite freshmen when they're actually two year hold backs?

Mighty funny how people throw negative comments out about a KID. But you will be the same guys paying 150 bucks to come watch him play against the warriors. If you don't know for a fact what the KID'S age is don't speak on it. You guys know nothing about this dude at all. But faithfully bash on him. We call you guys pillow talkers where I'm from.

Devin Askew is with Shemar in Southern California.
Kyree Walker already has plenty of exposure and will do fine at Moreau. It didnt hurt Damari or Oscar. He should reclassify to Class of 2018 considering he is a two-year holdback.
Kyree started school in Georgia. Not all states have the same rules as California.
Walker looks old. A 2 year holdback? ha ha. Why call him a fresh then. Reminds me a lot of of Carlos Johnson (El Cerrito/Findlay Prep). Be interesting to see if he's fully grown. Sort of just beats HS kids up with his strength.
That age issue might push him to the prep route...

The original thread to this post was what freshmen will have an impact to the
Local scene let's just keep it there.

Mighty funny how people throw negative comments out about a KID. But you will be the same guys paying 150 bucks to come watch him play against the warriors. If you don't know for a fact what the KID'S age is don't speak on it. You guys know nothing about this dude at all. But faithfully bash on him. We call you guys pillow talkers where I'm from.

I'm not throwing any negative comments. Just facts. He is a good, talented player. Not sure if he is the phenom many are claiming. The two year hold back thing is real. It is not what I heard, it is what I KNOW. Even if he were a Jr. now, rather than a freshman, he'd still be a really good prospect.

Agree 100% with above comment. Nobody hating on the kid. He can flat out play. Already holds major offers. But he's not a freshman. My prediction is he will bounce around quite a bit. Might start at Moreau but I certainly wouldn't build my program around him.

Why are you guys hyping kids as elite freshmen w
hen they're actually two year hold backs?[
NEWS FLASH....... Just because Kyrie is a two year hold back doesnt mean he cant play his senior year. Born November 20 2000 making him 18 when he starts his senior year thus making him eligible.

If you think that it's ok that a two year hold back be considered as a freshman and boast that he's a phenomenon you need to check your code of ethics, and please don't throw that tired line around that we're hating. Now if they were one year hold backs I could stomach that, but two years you're cheating.

unfortunately, this is becoming the new 'norm" freshman driving to practice.
He will not last 4 years at Moreau.
He will be on the Grind Session prep circuit next year. He is a very good player and should do well there.

Assist.... I have no dog in the fight but he will be of legal age in his senior year and will no eligibility issues. So why are you making a huge deal out of it?
If you think that it's ok that a two year hold back be considered as a freshman and boast that he's a phenomenon you need to check your code of ethics, and please don't throw that tired line around that we're hating. Now if they were one year hold backs I could stomach that, but two years you're cheating.
is

Assist not boasting anything just giving you facts. He will be eligible. I have ethics and aint gonna call it hating, just reality. No one knows for sure if he's a 2 year hold back or not. Lets look the other side. Say he was. So he would be a 15 year old junior right now. Be a 16 year old senior who turns 17. So in my best estimation he started Kindergarten as a 4 year old. Some parents would have waited a whole year till he was 5 to start in September then turn 6. This is more the norm for boys. Also that is the new rule now. What grades did he hold back. Maybe he was young and immature after 6 grade. He would have been 10 turning 11 going to Junior high. Ive seen some kids who look like adults that are in junior high. I would be concerned for my child being 11 going to junior high

I can speak for myself . i was that 16 year old Senior and sure wish my parents knew about being held back. It was tough being a senior and not even having a license while plenty of frosh and sops were driving too school. In sports it was like competing against men for me

All those scenarios you just used sounds like Donald Trump!!! BS. If you're already 16 as a freshman that let's me know there's a problem.

Hunter Clarke of Campolindo.

I can vouch for Hunter from my son's team battling the East Bay Celtics the last 3 years! Dude is a baller! I didn't know he ended up at Campo - I had heard he was going to some smaller private in the East Bay.

Is Hunter the younger brother of Austin Clarke?

The whole age argument is a little silly to me. Just like someone who is "young" for their class doesn't automatically give them a super high ceiling. The bigger issue when judging players is are they consistently improving year to year.

Assist not boasting anything just giving you facts. He will be eligible. I have ethics and aint gonna call it hating, just reality. No one knows for sure if he's a 2 year hold back or not. Lets look the other side. Say he was. So he would be a 15 year old junior right now. Be a 16 year old senior who turns 17. So in my best estimation he started Kindergarten as a 4 year old. Some parents would have waited a whole year till he was 5 to start in September then turn 6. This is more the norm for boys. Also that is the new rule now. What grades did he hold back. Maybe he was young and immature after 6 grade. He would have been 10 turning 11 going to Junior high. Ive seen some kids who look like adults that are in junior high. I would be concerned for my child being 11 going to junior high

I can speak for myself . i was that 16 year old Senior and sure wish my parents knew about being held back. It was tough being a senior and not even having a license while plenty of frosh and sops were driving too school. In sports it was like competing against men for me

This! In many, many cases parents start their child in kindergarten early. Why? Money. Eliminates the need for full day daycare (and even better if the school has full day kinder). I see many, many students turning 17 in their senior year because they were started early. And many of these are students who are considered "living in poverty" and are on free or reduced lunch.

Jelani Clark, Riordin, Bryce Monroe, Sacred Heart, Devan Sapp, Mitty
Tyler Brinkman, Salesian
Kori, El Cerrito, Dallas Ryder, Moreau

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT