ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting scenario...want some thoughts.

Common Sense1

Rookie
May 9, 2018
So here's what a friend told me about at a party Saturday.

His daughter plays at a D2, and the school had a big recruiting weekend the weekend before last, with a mix of girls on official and unofficial visits. According to his daughter, one of the recruits kept mentioning that she had D1 offers. Mind you, this recruit is a member of the class of 2019 and was there on an unofficial visit.

My friend was confused as to why the girl was even on the visit, and frankly, so am I. As far as I'm concerned, this has to be a "look at how much I'm wanted" tactic that has more potential bad endings than good. Yes, I know there are late D1 offers, but my thought process is that if you're sitting on an actionable D1 offer, why are you visiting a D2 with roughly two months to go in the school year, on your own dime?

Thoughts on this tactic and the situation in general?

It is hard to make definitive judgement based on heresay, but I will say this:

I would doubt that player had a real D1 offer at this point in the process. Maybe trying to big time the other players. At this point in the process, if you have offers, you aren't wasting time because offers can get pulled quickly if you don't act.

It is hard to make definitive judgement based on heresay, but I will say this:

I would doubt that player had a real D1 offer at this point in the process. Maybe trying to big time the other players. At this point in the process, if you have offers, you aren't wasting time because offers can get pulled quickly if you don't act.

Does every D1 offer trump every D2 offer? Easy to imagine plenty of factors that might make a D2 school more attractive. Academics, closeness to home, potential for playing time, etc. Agree that the timing would be tight this time of year, but a D1 offer yesterday doesn't mean I would automatically cancel a D2 visit (official or unofficial) today.

D1 offer doesn't trump a D2 offer, but from the story, it seemed like the player was worried about offer collecting, which can happen in the summer/early fall but I don't think it happens much in the spring.

Again, hard to tell intent with a story like this

Reactions: Common Sense1
I had a player who had a D1 offer but went D2 ... for one thing, the D1 offer was back east, and she played D2 close to home.

Another was that she was really a borderline D1 player, and had a good D2 career. Her dad had a clue, so it could be they just decided this would work out better.

And finally, D2 can give full rides if they want, so why not? If you like the school better (for whatever reason), a free education is a free education.

D1 offer doesn't trump a D2 offer, but from the story, it seemed like the player was worried about offer collecting, which can happen in the summer/early fall but I don't think it happens much in the spring.

Again, hard to tell intent with a story like this

I get offer collecting as a junior, but as a senior about to graduate with nothing guaranteed, it just seems insane and a recipe to be put on the back burner by coaches that could actually be interested.

I had a player who had a D1 offer but went D2 ... for one thing, the D1 offer was back east, and she played D2 close to home.

Another was that she was really a borderline D1 player, and had a good D2 career. Her dad had a clue, so it could be they just decided this would work out better.

And finally, D2 can give full rides if they want, so why not? If you like the school better (for whatever reason), a free education is a free education.

D2s can have up to 10 scholarships available, if they're fully funded. Having the full 10 available is common at the private D2s and the D2s back east, not so much at the public D2s here. But other states don't have anything on par with CalGrants, so coaches here without the full 10 scholarships have that in their financial aid wheelhouse to play with as well.

I agree it isn't a good plan to offer collect. Doesn't mean it won't happen

Here's a factoid that may not be well-known: D1 and D2 schools have basketball scholarships they can't fill. The talent pool among females is far smaller than the men's side. Some schools offer scholarships to marginal kids because they have to. Title9 mandates force colleges to equalize (pretty much) rosters for both genders.

There are more D1 scholarships for women than there are D1 women players ... in part because women's teams have 15 scholarships and men only 13.

Same for D2?

D2 has up to 10 scholarships for both men's and women's basketball, assuming the school is fully funded. Fully funded is dependent on the schools having enough students and charging enough in fees. D2 could potentially have more players because the coaches can split up the scholarships however they want. 5 full, 10 half, 20 half...any combination is all good as long as the 10 scholarship limit isn't exceeded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT