ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Hoops Will Play SI at...

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
The Cow Palace (!) on January 3rd. Details about tickets will be announced on December 2nd.

Really surprised the two schools couldnt finagle a deal with Lacob to use Chase Center since Warriors are not playing at home that day. I thought SI had way more pull here.

Cow Palace is a very strange place to have a basketball game. But there is plenty of room there for a pregame tailgate which is why I think the schools chose that venue.

Really surprised the two schools couldnt finagle a deal with Lacob to use Chase Center since Warriors are not playing at home that day. I thought SI had way more pull here.
SI would probably beat the dub nation this season... cant risk that

Cow Palace is a very strange place to have a basketball game. But there is plenty of room there for a pregame tailgate which is why I think the schools chose that venue.
A great venue for basketball. Remember attending NBA final there v. Washington Bullets. Attended many Warrior games there. USF used to hold the Cable Car Classic there too. Parking is no issue (though I am sure CP will charge minimum $20. Nice alternative to Chase.

Reactions: WM483
Regarding Chase Center:

Word is due to the previous event being Dead and Co. Chase would need to be "aired" out in time for Warriors game on January 4

Reactions: dlew66 and ayalar09
The grandest stage in the city this year should host the grandest city matchup. Lets move SI/Riordan to Chase Center!

Also does anyone have any SH roster insight? Do we have any player taller than 6'2? All I know so far is its Jackson, McCoy, Crawford and Riordan transfer McPherson.

The cost/rent at the Chase Center is outrageous. Forget about using that venue.

Any insight to what the Giants charge SI/SH to use Pac Bell (sorry, im not calling it AT&T or Oracle). I can imagine using Chase would be the same if not a tad bit higher. USF is basically the perfect setting for the game since it is usually filled to capacity for this annual game.

Any insight to what the Giants charge SI/SH to use Pac Bell (sorry, im not calling it AT&T or Oracle). I can imagine using Chase would be the same if not a tad bit higher. USF is basically the perfect setting for the game since it is usually filled to capacity for this annual game.
It was $10.00 last time.

ha! chump change for SI! they shouldve ponied up.
Chase Center called back two and a half weeks ago and increased the fee too 238K. Cow Palace is charging 60K. I believe last year Cal charged 40K. I wish SH & SI could somehow use all this money on rental fees and fix whatever the problem is with Kezar and get the games back there. If Riordan wanted to chip in as well that would be great. I know it's wishful thinking but it sure would be cool and the games would be better attended.

The grandest stage in the city this year should host the grandest city matchup. Lets move SI/Riordan to Chase Center!

Also does anyone have any SH roster insight? Do we have any player taller than 6'2? All I know so far is its Jackson, McCoy, Crawford and Riordan transfer McPherson.

I was at the Alumni Game last night. There might be one or two 6' 3" guys but that's it. They couldn't even dunk during warm-ups.
Also, Ray-John's last name is now Spears. At least that's what the announcer said when he introduced the players. MaxPreps lists his last name as "Spears-Jackson" on their roster. MP also listed a 6' 9" player but I'll believe that when I see it.

Last edited:
Chase Center called back two and a half weeks ago and increased the fee too 238K. Cow Palace is charging 60K. I believe last year Cal charged 40K. I wish SH & SI could somehow use all this money on rental fees and fix whatever the problem is with Kezar and get the games back there. If Riordan wanted to chip in as well that would be great. I know it's wishful thinking but it sure would be cool and the games would be better attended.

Kezar will cost a pretty penny to retrofit. Not only that, it will have to be redone to remove all the lead and covered asbestos in the building

Reactions: CityVibesII
I was at the Alumni Game last night. There might be one or two 6' 4" guys but that's it. They couldn't even dunk during warm-ups.
Also, Ray-John's last name is now Spears. At least that's what the announcer said when he introduced the players.

I saw the collective photo of the alums with current team to confirm my early guesses that this year's team will be quite scrappy and undersized. But thats a MacKay specialty! Do more with far less.... unless they some how can sneak the great Kevin Greene in with extra eligibility.

Drumroll....... you're defending CCS Open Champions!

Reactions: Scott2138
I'm confused. Why aren't they playing at War Memorial. Isn't USF playing there this year?
The remodel of USF took into consideration of more corporate seating/user friendly lounge environment. Not the same set up of conventional arenas since USF doesnt draw much.

USF cannot be used any longer for Bruce Mahoney. The changes to Memorial makes it far too small, even when completed.

"Chase Center called back two and a half weeks ago and increased the fee too 238K. Cow Palace is charging 60K. I believe last year Cal charged 40K."

I do not believe any of these amounts are even close to correct.

"Chase Center called back two and a half weeks ago and increased the fee too 238K. Cow Palace is charging 60K. I believe last year Cal charged 40K."

I do not believe any of these amounts are even close to correct.
The amount requested by the Chase Center might be a little low. Do you think these numbers are too high or low ?

Somebody updated SHC's roster on Maxpreps today and yes confirmed: A very scrappy team. Tyrice Ivy is the "tallest" at 6'3. Team will be very quick, but will get pushed around inside without much resistance. Expect alot of 3's this season.

Somebody updated SHC's roster on Maxpreps today and yes confirmed: A very scrappy team. Tyrice Ivy is the "tallest" at 6'3. Team will be very quick, but will get pushed around inside without much resistance. Expect alot of 3's this season.
Won't help rebounding either. Irish open the season at Christopher tonight. SHC won 84-54.

Last edited:
Mr. Turtle are you sure USF won't be used any more? Put the student bodies upstairs behind the baskets like they did at Cal and one full side and one half side downstairs for general admission. Not ideal but more economical than the rents these other places are asking.

Mr. Turtle are you sure USF won't be used any more? Put the student bodies upstairs behind the baskets like they did at Cal and one full side and one half side downstairs for general admission. Not ideal but more economical than the rents these other places are asking.

USF will still be an option when its done, why not, why close that avenue?

Won't help rebounding either. Irish open the season at Christopher tonight. SHC won 84-54.

Just got to do with what you got, it is what it is...they may surprise a few here and there. Looking at all the rosters (frosh Jv..) still no big man that they got for a project, no one over 6'5. I was looking forward to Oscar Cheng's Senior season, he came a long way, to bad he left for Hawaii. But at the end of the day, I rather have a bunch of smaller guys that do more with less than big guys that don't deliver on expectations either.

Understand about Cheng's departure. But, why did Mims leave and where did he go? Also, the big football player, Branch-Haynes, could provide some frontcourt muscle.

Just got to do with what you got, it is what it is...they may surprise a few here and there. Looking at all the rosters (frosh Jv..) still no big man that they got for a project, no one over 6'5. I was looking forward to Oscar Cheng's Senior season, he came a long way, to bad he left for Hawaii. But at the end of the day, I rather have a bunch of smaller guys that do more with less than big guys that don't deliver on expectations either.

MacKay's previous head coaching stint routinely had rosters like this. So it will not be a surprise if SH has a good season because that means his players have accepted roles regardless of their height.

Understand about Cheng's departure. But, why did Mims leave and where did he go? Also, the big football player, Branch-Haynes, could provide some frontcourt muscle.

Idk about Mims. He didnt crack the rotation last year and the times that I saw him play it was underwhelming. Out of position, bad defensive awareness, offensively couldnt really do anything inside when an opponent of equal or taller size was in front of him. He needed a change and hopefully he gets to improve wherever he is.

Branch-Haynes could've been useful but its rare that a SH linemen makes an impact on the basketball court. Kevin Greene was the only exception. Way back Tony Miranda and Jeff Martin were decent bodies but not very good. Jeff Sutton was actually above decent.

Idk about Mims. He didnt crack the rotation last year and the times that I saw him play it was underwhelming. Out of position, bad defensive awareness, offensively couldnt really do anything inside when an opponent of equal or taller size was in front of him. He needed a change and hopefully he gets to improve wherever he is.

Branch-Haynes could've been useful but its rare that a SH linemen makes an impact on the basketball court. Kevin Greene was the only exception. Way back Tony Miranda and Jeff Martin were decent bodies but not very good. Jeff Sutton was actually above decent.

Kevin Gogan

Reactions: jordan24
Kevin Gogan
Yes, Kevin Gogan and they had another 6-8 kid (White?). That was a great team with Carlos Roa and Marty Arenas as guards.
FYI, Marty's son is on the frosh football and basketball teams at Riordan.

Anyone believing that the Chase Center asked for $238,000 for two high school games needs a shot of Narcan. To suggest that they might have asked for more than that means the Narcan won't work.

The number of seats that will be available at USF is fixed at it's present configuration. It was the same number last year. The upper half of the western side of War Memorial will become the Sobrato Center. There are simply not enough seats available at USF to accomodate the students and alums from SHC and SI.

It was barely enough in the prior configuration. If you've been to the Bruce Mahoney game at USF, it is completely packed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT