ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Hoops Will Play SI at...

Here's a novel idea. Bring the game to the respective schools. Who gets a ticket cool. Whoever doesnt, watch it on the internet.

Kezar would be great; just not safe seismically.

Cow Palace is a very strange place to have a basketball game. But there is plenty of room there for a pregame tailgate which is why I think the schools chose that venue.

Ah, how soon we forget. There was a time when the Cow Palace hosted big-time college hoops and the NBA. Back in the 1950s, those great USF teams filled the Daly City barn to the smoke-covered rafters for games with key West Coast foes and the NCAA West Regionals. The NCAA Final Four was held there in 1960. Ohio State and Jerry Lucas captured that crown. During their 1975 NBA title run, the Warriors played home Finals games there. In its heyday, the Cow Palace was a prime West Coast venue. No more.

Ah, how soon we forget. There was a time when the Cow Palace hosted big-time college hoops and the NBA. Back in the 1950s, those great USF teams filled the Daly City barn to the smoke-covered rafters for games with key West Coast foes and the NCAA West Regionals. The NCAA Final Four was held there in 1960. Ohio State and Jerry Lucas captured that crown. During their 1975 NBA title run, the Warriors played home Finals games there. In its heyday, the Cow Palace was a prime West Coast venue. No more.
Yup, I even think one of the Warriors 1974-75 Championship games was played at the Cow Palace because the Oakland Coliseum had booked the Ice Capades...lol.

Yup, I even think one of the Warriors 1974-75 Championship games was played at the Cow Palace because the Oakland Coliseum had booked the Ice Capades...lol.
I watched plenty of Warrior games at Cow Palace (and Civic Center for that matter). Both games were played at Cow Palace (and yes due to Ice Capades).

Youtube 75 NBA final, Game 2. Loved the intro music. Loved the leisure suits the coaches wore. BTW who remembers during halftime they had the one on one games between stars? I also think 75 was the first year the winning team got the Larry Obrien trophy (the same looking one given out to this day). It was an odd looking trophy when introduced.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadBucks
Cow Palace is a very strange place to have a basketball game. But there is plenty of room there for a pregame tailgate which is why I think the schools chose that venue.
How old are you? Plenty of basketball games at Cow Palace. Who remembers when USF used to host Cable Car Classic there. NCAA tourney. Plenty of Warrior games. It will be fun for us older fans to reminisce. Hope they sell pink pop corn at concession.

Reactions: WM483 and BadBucks
With its current configuration there are only seats behind one basket upstairs. The other end upstairs is a VIP lounge/bar. The new VIP lounge is what is under construction and once that's finished the bleachers will be opened up again at that end.

One indelible Bovine Barn memory: Seattle's Elgin Baylor banking in a long jumper at the buzzer to beat USF in the 1958 NCAA West Regionals. That powerhouse USF unit was 25-2, led by Mike Farmer, Gene Brown and Fred LaCour (who some geezers regard as a West Coast version of Oscar Robertson as a prep at SI way back in the day).

One indelible Bovine Barn memory: Seattle's Elgin Baylor banking in a long jumper at the buzzer to beat USF in the 1958 NCAA West Regionals. That powerhouse USF unit was 25-2, led by Mike Farmer, Gene Brown and Fred LaCour (who some geezers regard as a West Coast version of Oscar Robertson as a prep at SI way back in the day).

Oscar Robertson, one of the greatest at backing down a defender in the key.
Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: WM483
I watched plenty of Warrior games at Cow Palace (and Civic Center for that matter). Both games were played at Cow Palace (and yes due to Ice Capades).

Youtube 75 NBA final, Game 2. Loved the intro music. Loved the leisure suits the coaches wore. BTW who remembers during halftime they had the one on one games between stars? I also think 75 was the first year the winning team got the Larry Obrien trophy (the same looking one given out to this day). It was an odd looking trophy when introduced.
I remember all that too, including the NBA Game of the Week song. Not sure who sung it. It sounded like Bobby Bloom.

Yes, Kevin Gogan and they had another 6-8 kid (White?). That was a great team with Carlos Roa and Marty Arenas as guards.
FYI, Marty's son is on the frosh football and basketball teams at Riordan.
Eric White, who went on next year to be WCC freshman of the year at Pepperdine and had a great career. ..

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11...tball-preview-rankings-players-to-watch-more/

Sabedra and company have Irish at #17. Ok... I'll take that. SI at #21. Appears that both teams are closer this year with SI not having Robinson and Begovich to lean on.
SI brought up 4 sophomores and a freshman to the varsity. The freshman will most likely start and at least two of the sophs must contribute early. Right now a 21st ranking looks very generous but time will tell and that's why they play. It should be a great WCAL hoop season.

Quick Wildcat trivia. King Wilhite is the first SI Frosh PG on varsity since.......? Is the answer Tim Yamamura?

Reactions: WM483
Other than Seismic Retrofit Issues as it specifically speaks to San Francisco Buildings as a result of the 06 & 89 Earthquakes, nothing should stop Basketball from taking place at either Kezar, The Cow Palace or The Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. More people back in the day attended the Bruce Mahoney and other major High School games, what stops the games from being played at the before-mentioned venues other than the safety issues????? As a Born and raised San Franciscan, I am very confused and shocked that games cannot be honored and played at those venues. The City needs to spend the necessary dollars and fix those venues as they are probably historical registered Landmarks by now. I’m just sayin

Other than Seismic Retrofit Issues as it specifically speaks to San Francisco Buildings as a result of the 06 & 89 Earthquakes, nothing should stop Basketball from taking place at either Kezar, The Cow Palace or The Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. More people back in the day attended the Bruce Mahoney and other major High School games, what stops the games from being played at the before-mentioned venues other than the safety issues????? As a Born and raised San Franciscan, I am very confused and shocked that games cannot be honored and played at those venues. The City needs to spend the necessary dollars and fix those venues as they are probably historical registered Landmarks by now. I’m just sayin

Kezar in its current state, with closed off rafters on both sides is UNABLE to host the Bruce Mahoney games. Kezar still hosts basketball games on the regular basis. Wallenberg uses it for home games, AAA uses it for playoffs CIF Sectionals for AAA, Urban, University and Stuart Hall all use Kezarvfor the games. Academy of Art uses Kezar for its home games as well. Simply put the Bruce Mahoney has outgrown Kezar.

As for the other two, they would be proper size for the game but Cow Pslace would be preferable as parking near Graham is not that great

St. Ignatius went up to Washington and lost 2. Including getting beat by a 40 spot. It might be a long year for them.

SI brought up 4 sophomores and a freshman to the varsity. The freshman will most likely start and at least two of the sophs must contribute early. Right now a 21st ranking looks very generous but time will tell and that's why they play. It should be a great WCAL hoop season.

There is no pro Hall of Fame. The Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. covers both amateur and pro basketball.

He never said Pro Hall of Fame just said HALL OF FAME and yes there is a former SHC player there but to say anything further may give away the answer.

He never said Pro Hall of Fame just said HALL OF FAME and yes there is a former SHC player there but to say anything further may give away the answer.
Originally I said "Pro" but I think it threw people off.
Hint: He scored 24 points against SI, sometime during the 20th Century.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
CVII wins. Harry Heilmann played on the 1911 basketball team that beat SI 36-15 in their first-ever meeting. The game was played on the "Tamalpais Court" and 1500 attended. Heilmann scored 24 of those points.

Heilmann didn't play baseball in HS, and ended up in the HOF.

Chase Center called back two and a half weeks ago and increased the fee too 238K. Cow Palace is charging 60K. I believe last year Cal charged 40K.

The amount of misinformation on this board is truly incredible. A couple weeks back I contacted University of California Athletic Director Jim Knowlton to find out the CORRECT amount St. Ignatius and Sacred Heart Cathedral paid Cal last year for the use of Haas Pavilion.

The correct amount is $22,000. PLEASE stop posting crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT