ADVERTISEMENT

Is Davis High really in the SFL?

Scoop and Score

Superstar
Jun 14, 2020
The football gods must be angry with the blue devils. There is no way Davis finishes a game in the SFL let alone a season. Rumor is Davis is studying under a swinging gate legend who won a state title in Minnesota with that as an offense. Some they call it the “Option Gate”? Some sort of triple/gate scheme. How is this remotely safe. I mean Folsom, OR, Rocklin, Jesuit. These are literal bone breaking games. Imagine your kid was the half back, my kid would be signing up for water polo.

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Davis has the athletes to compete in football. They may suffer many lopsided scores, but I don't know that it will be a safety issue.

In other sports, Davis will fit very well into the SFL.

Reactions: coachlittle
Davis has the athletes to compete in football. They may suffer many lopsided scores, but I don't know that it will be a safety issue.

In other sports, Davis will fit very well into the SFL.
They barely beat Oakmont and have very low numbers. They are going to get body bagged.

Davis will be the new Whitney for football but a lot worse. In fact that isn't fair to whitney. Folsom could hang 100 on them next year.
They are truly awful for having 3k students but if you know Davis its par for the course.
They will do fine in the suburb sports like lacrosse, swimming, and soccer.

Reactions: THEOC89
This is an example of the need to separate football from the other sports when making leagues/conferences.

Davis fits the SFL in most sports.

There are schools where this is the opposite, where a strong football program drags weak other sports into a league they do not belong in.

This is an example of the need to separate football from the other sports when making leagues/conferences.

There are schools where this is the opposite, where a strong football program drags weak other sports into a league they do not belong in.
The NCS recently did this with CVC…. They have been playing in the EBAL for Football while all their other sports remained in the DFAL…..

Oddly enough though now, CVC has been moved back in the DFAL for FB this year…. Not sure why this is the case other then I think league alignment is reviewed every few years….

The NCS recently did this with CVC…. They have been playing in the EBAL for Football while all their other sports remained in the DFAL…..

Oddly enough though now, CVC has been moved back in the DFAL for FB this year…. Not sure why this is the case other then I think league alignment is reviewed every few years….
Plus Dublin is getting a new HS this year (Emerald) that should eventually find its way into the EBAL, but I doubt they’ll have a varsity football program for a couple of years.

Totally agreed. Even Whitney who has a great all-around sports program has really struggled in football in the SFL. They are very good in hoops, baseball, track, soccer, etc. Football Whitney is a playoff team in another league every year.

Once I realized Davis was added to the SFL for this upcoming season, I too was surprised. I get that there are for more sports to consider than just football when making these decisions — but still.

As others have pointed out, past precedent has been set wrt to separting out football from the other sports. For example, during Grant Union’s recent stay in the SFL — they were football only with all other sports participating in the Metro.

IDK why a similar solution wasn‘t applied wrt Davis Sr. High.

Jesuit football will be a good fit in the SFL. As others have easily recognized, Davis will not.

I think swapping Davis with Monterrey Trail (football only) would be much more appropriate. But, iirc, @MTsince2004 mentioned last summer that the SFL powers that be voted that down. So this is what everyone gets instead. SMH.

Hopefully the Blue Devils tenure in the SFL for football will be very short and they can eventually be replaced by one of the newer, up and coming football programs such as West Park or Twelve Bridges, who not only make more sense location wise but also will likely develop to be much more capable of competing with the other SFL football programs.

Circling back to the topic of Jesuit High, their stadium lighting project goes before the Sacramento County Planning Commission on Monday. Hopefully they are able take another step in finally securing permanent “Friday Night Lights”. They are actively seeking any and all support they can get.

Reactions: THEOC89
Davis football will most likely struggle mightily in the SFL, but there just isn't any good place to put them. Coming anywhere into the Sacramento-area, there is the Causeway problem. Returning to M.E.L. territory doesn't look like a very good fit now that it is a D3 league.

Davis has the athletes to compete, they just haven't consistently put together SFL-caliber teams over the years. Like I said, I don't fear for the actually physical safety of the players in SFL games. I know my bias on that comes from being a Monterey Trail supporter. We are always undersized and have low roster numbers, yet survive just fine season after season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT