ADVERTISEMENT

Jan.26th @ Heritage High School

hhs patriots

Rookie
Gold Member
May 27, 2015
The Lady Patriots would like to keep support and keep awareness to the SPIRIT of Unified Sports by inviting everyone to the 1st Annual "Rep Your School" Showcase on Jan.26th 2019 at Heritage High School.

Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Unified Sports Special Olympics program at Heritage High School.

Event Schedule:

11a Modesto Christian v. Freedom

12:30p Castro Valley v. Edison-Stockton

2p St.Mary's Stockton v. San Joaquin Memorial-Fresno

3:30p Sacramento v. Montgomery

5p Folsom v. Bear Creek

6:30p Antelope v. Heritage

Thanks everyone in advance for supporting the spirit of Unified Sports Special Olympics

Good Luck to everyone this season!!!

-Heritage Lady Patriots Basketball

Last edited:
Heritage and Antelope should be a challenging game for both teams. As should Folsom vs Bear Creek. I know what Heritage has, but I haven't seen enough to know much about Antelope. I have heard Antelope has a few very talented players. I do know they have a good coach who I've seen do a good job with his AAU team. Sweeney, Gallegos, and Blake all playing in the same gym creates a situation that is worth the price of admission. Feel free to comment on others who will be notable players worth coming to get a close up look at.

A Folsom vs. Antelope matchup and a Heritage vs. Bear Creek matchup would be even better, since they all are not scheduled to play each other during the "regular" season.

Folsom vs. Antelope would represent whose best in Sacramento metro area, since Folsom has beaten McClatchy and West Campus, and Antelope has beaten Del Oro (6-1) and Elk Grove (4-2) so far.

The Lady Patriots would like to keep support and keep awareness to the SPIRIT of Unified Sports by inviting everyone to the 1st Annual "Rep Your School" Showcase on Jan.26th 2019 at Heritage High School.

Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Unified Sports Special Olympics program at Heritage High School.

Event Schedule:

11a Modesto Christian v. Freedom

12:30p Castro Valley v. Edison-Stockton

2p St.Mary's Stockton v. San Joaquin Memorial-Fresno

3:30p Sacramento v. Montgomery

5p Folsom v. Bear Creek

6:30p Antelope v. Heritage

Thanks everyone in advance for supporting the spirit of Unified Sports Special Olympics

Good Luck to everyone this season!!!

-Heritage Lady Patriots Basketball

Safe Travels to everyone who may be making the trip to Brentwood today for the "Rep Your School" Girls Basketball event at Heritage HS.

Thank you in advance for supporting this event from the Lady Patriots -A proud supporter of the Special Olympics Unified Sports

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Thankyou to all the volunteers, teams, and folks who came out to support the event and made it a huge success.

Here are the results:

Modesto Christian 46
Freedom 39

Edison 47
Castro Valley 43

Sacramento 61
Montgomery 48

St.Mary's Stockton 53
San Joaquin Memorial 34

Bear Creek 58
Folsom 38

Heritage 68
Antelope 60

Last edited:
Looks like bear creek was hungry tonight. That is a convincing win

Reactions: Paytc
Looks like bear creek was hungry tonight. That is a convincing win

True. I thought (so far I'm still reviewing results) Bear Creek over Folsom by 20 was the biggest surprise. Followed by how close the Mitty vs Valley Christian game appeared to be.Heritage and Antelope were probably a very good matchup. Heritage is a good team ( so is Antelope) so no surprise there. Salesian over Pinewood was not that much of a surprised taking into account they almost beat Pinewood the first time they played them. Both times if I'm not mistaken Salesian was without Nia Chinn their ace 3 point shooter. The difference may have been the fact that weeks have past allowing Salesian to learn how to better play without the contributions from Nia Chinn. I personally feel for Nia, her family, and salesian. I wish Nia a fast and full recovery. Best wishes to Salesian and all teams with injuries (Pinewood, SMS, MM, and several others) moving forward. Congratulations to Heritage, Bear Creek, and Salesian !

I'm not surprised by the BC Vs. Folsom game. Folsom is a good team but just a bit overrated in my opinion. Antelope game was fun to see. I think Antelope would have won if they had not let Heritage jump out to a 21 to 7 first quarter but Antelope could have folded but didn't and battled back. It was a good game to get ready for playoffs.

All the results from yesterday are a reflection of this overall season. Very good games and shows that anyone is capable of beating each other. The only team that hasn’t lost to another NorCal team yet is Mitty. They are definitely the favorite. But not a lock.

I'm not surprised by the BC Vs. Folsom game. Folsom is a good team but just a bit overrated in my opinion. Antelope game was fun to see. I think Antelope would have won if they had not let Heritage jump out to a 21 to 7 first quarter but Antelope could have folded but didn't and battled back. It was a good game to get ready for playoffs.
Azanna,

I know different teams match up to different teams differently and that can make for a big difference. But when we take into account Carondelet pretty much easily handled Bear Creek, and Folsom based on the score (I didn't see the game) didn't have too much trouble beating Carondelet, the lop-sided score was surprising to me. Perhaps Carondelet is over-rated as well, and/ or Bear Creek really was exhausted playing Clet just hours after winning a tournament championship.

I've seem Carondelet play this season and I think they are a pretty good team. I saw Bear Creek vs Carondelet game but now I wonder if fatigue played any part in the outcome? Based on the way Bear Creek matched up with Clet I would be surprised if Bear Creek would be able to beat Clet in a re-match when rested, but you never know. I haven't seen Folsom play this season so it's hard for me to conclude where the 20 point loss would be expected against Bear Creek. From what I saw watching Bear Creek Mya Blake seemed to be a key part of the team scoring, defending, and pushing tempo. And knowing Folsom's star guard Charity Gallegos I would expect to be a good matchup with Blake made me wonder how each point guard played. If Those who saw the game can provide an update that might better explain how Bear Creek was able to get the 20 point victory.

Last edited:
Azanna,

I know different teams match up to different teams differently and that can make for a big difference. But when we take into account Carondelet pretty much easily handled Bear Creek, and Folsom based on the score (I did't see the game) didn't have too much trouble beating Carondelet, the the lop-sided score was surprising to me. Perhaps Carondelet is over-rated as well, and/ or Bear Creek really was exhausted playing Clet just hours after winning a tournament championship.

I've seem Carondelet play this season and I think they are a pretty good team. I saw Bear Creek vs Carondelet game but now I wonder if fatigue played any part in the outcome? Based on the way Bear Creek matched up with Clet I would be surprised Bear Creek would be able to beat Clet in a re-match when rested, but you never know. I haven't seen Folsom play this season so it's hard for me to conclude where the 20 point loss would be expected against Bear Creek. From what I saw watching Bear Creek Mya Blake seemed to be a key part of the team scoring, defending, and pushing tempo. And knowing Folsom's star guard Charity Gallegos I would expect to be a good matchup with Blake made me wonder how each point guard played. If Those who saw the game can provide an update that might better explain how Bear Creek was able to get the 20 point victory.
As far as the Carondelet game goes most do not know that BC had traveled from Stockton to Rocklin and played Antelope earlier that day which had to be a big emotional game, won then drove all the way to the bay and played Carondelet. i do not know why their coach did that but from an emotional stand point how could they have been at their best against a team like Carondelet after playing Antelope the team that beat them last yr. for a section title?

played Antelope @1:30
Played Carondelet @ 8:00 pm.
All on the same day

As far as the Carondelet game goes most do not know that BC had traveled from Stockton to Rocklin and played Antelope earlier that day which had to be a big emotional game, won then drove all the way to the bay and played Carondelet. i do not know why their coach did that but from an emotional stand point how could they have been at their best against a team like Carondelet after playing Antelope the team that beat them last yr. for a section title?

played Antelope @1:30
Played Carondelet @ 8:00 pm.
All on the same day

I didn’t know you could play 2 games in 1 day in HS.

Doesn’t make much sense. Sounds like aau. Never heard or seen a H.S. play twice in 1 day especially in the sjs because I know those are against ncs rules.

Doesn’t make much sense. Sounds like aau. Never heard or seen a H.S. play twice in 1 day especially in the sjs because I know those are against ncs rules.
You can verify it in MaxPreps but it’s not against the rules in the SJS

You can verify it in MaxPreps but it’s not against the rules in the SJS

That was what I stated when I said they(Bear Creek) played in a championship game earlier that day. That is why I said fatigue may have set in. However based on the way Bear Creek matched up with Carondelet that game, I'm not sure they would have beaten Clet even if they were rested, but you never know. Now I'm beginning to wonder. Regardless to how Bear Creek matched up or didn't match up with Clet, I was surprised they based on the score soundly beat Folsom who beat Clet by double digits. That is why I wanted someone who was at the Bear Creek vs Folsom game to tell how the two teams star point guards matched up.

When you have two good teams, if one teams shots are not falling and the other are then it is probable that you can get 20 pt victories. Then when you add other variable factors it would also increase the likely hood. I still remember that Clovis West beat Centennial at Nike and got rolled by the same team at the MLK. Basketball is all about timing and match ups. Hey North Carolina beat ND today and they are not even close to them in ability.

When you have two good teams, if one teams shots are not falling and the other are then it is probable that you can get 20 pt victories. Then when you add other variable factors it would also increase the likely hood. I still remember that Clovis West beat Centennial at Nike and got rolled by the same team at the MLK. Basketball is all about timing and match ups. Hey North Carolina beat ND today and they are not even close to them in ability.

Willtalk,

That is so true. But not some things but everything happens for a reason. All I was inquiring was for anyone who was present at the game to give me in their opinion what was the reason? Did Mya Blake become too much of a handful for Folsom to game plan to handle? Did Bear Creek just have a better game plan? Did key players get in foul trouble or injured? Did the refs call a bad game? Did Chasity just have an off shooting night? Were there any sick or absent players? There are almost an infinite amount of reasons that could have determined the outcome. We all know any team can lose by 20. Kobe and Jordan have both loss by 50 at some point in their lives.

Reactions: basketba11
I went to the Bear Creek CO game yesterday to get some perspective on how they could have beaten Folsom by 20 points. I talked to the Bear Creek coach and ask him about the game. He said that Mya did not have a really outstanding games scoring wise. From his other responses and some common sense gleaned after watching BC play against CO whom they beat by 27 pts, I concluded that they were just a bad match up for Folsom. Folsom really relies on the play of Charity Gallegos and Bear Creek has multiple players they can throw at her defensively. Mya's shots were not dropping in last nights game, but Bear Creek still had multiple shooters who were killing it from outside.

CO was a pretty good team as well, but I was really impressed by Bear Creeks ball movement and offensive flow. They are also very quick and play tough defense as well. I think they are a very solid team, are playing very good team ball right now and have as good of a chance as anyone, if in fact to take the Sac Joaquin D1 Title.

Unfortunately it also appeared that CO lost #1 Saniyiah Williams to a serious knee injury in the third Quarter.

Willtalk, I was thinking the same thoughts as you in regards to how they beat Folsom by 20! I think you are right on the money as far as being a bad matchup for Folsom style of play. Folsom has very strong point guard with Gallegos. But their overall strength of their team is their size and defense. Against teams like Carondelet, McClatchy, Oak Ridge and Del Oro, they can pack in a 2-3 zone and make them shoot outside contested shots and secure the rebounds without allowing many offensive boards and putbacks. But against teams like MM, Bishops, and Bear Creek that rely on their 3 point shooting, they have their troubles. Against Folsom, Bear Creek made 9 three-pointers and 10 two-point shots. Bear Creek has got shooters!!! If they are on, they can beat anyone! Didn't I just post something yesterday about the 3 point shot being huge weapon for many teams, and if teams have bad shooting night, they are susceptible to a loss. In their loss to SJND, Bear Creek was 3-27 from 3s- they had an off night. I watched this game and they missed a ton of open 3s. Last night against CO, playing at home, they hit a ton of 3s! Perez and Ruiz will shoot the 3 from anywhere inside half court, LOL. Byrne is an outstanding shooter if left open. And of course Blake can do it all (shoot, pass, finish) and really conducts the entire team. And Lewis inside is very impactful with new freshman Mahan having an outstanding season as well. If they are able to secure a 1 or 2 seed in D1 playoffs (and get home game for semi-final game), watch out for this team. I keep saying the D1 SJS winner will represent SJS in Open, and they are definitely one of the teams that could do it.

Willtalk, I was thinking the same thoughts as you in regards to how they beat Folsom by 20! I think you are right on the money as far as being a bad matchup for Folsom style of play. Folsom has very strong point guard with Gallegos. But their overall strength of their team is their size and defense. Against teams like Carondelet, McClatchy, Oak Ridge and Del Oro, they can pack in a 2-3 zone and make them shoot outside contested shots and secure the rebounds without allowing many offensive boards and putbacks. But against teams like MM, Bishops, and Bear Creek that rely on their 3 point shooting, they have their troubles. Against Folsom, Bear Creek made 9 three-pointers and 10 two-point shots. Bear Creek has got shooters!!! If they are on, they can beat anyone! Didn't I just post something yesterday about the 3 point shot being huge weapon for many teams, and if teams have bad shooting night, they are susceptible to a loss. In their loss to SJND, Bear Creek was 3-27 from 3s- they had an off night. I watched this game and they missed a ton of open 3s. Last night against CO, playing at home, they hit a ton of 3s! Perez and Ruiz will shoot the 3 from anywhere inside half court, LOL. Byrne is an outstanding shooter if left open. And of course Blake can do it all (shoot, pass, finish) and really conducts the entire team. And Lewis inside is very impactful with new freshman Mahan having an outstanding season as well. If they are able to secure a 1 or 2 seed in D1 playoffs (and get home game for semi-final game), watch out for this team. I keep saying the D1 SJS winner will represent SJS in Open, and they are definitely one of the teams that could do it.

That is why in games where Clet has an easy time inside they should practice rotating the ball for the games in the post season where they won't have an inside advantage. So they can get more players confident from the perimeter. And more balanced scoring. That was my problem with the last administration. They never changed or improved as individuals or as a team. And they relied too much on having a size advantage and just dominating inside. That advantage is rarely there against tough teams in the post season. I have seen Clet rotate the ball this season off and on probably better than I have ever seen them rotate it to include when I watched Margaret's Natalie Romeo led teams. The problem is I'm not sure they are willing to live with the cold 3 point shooting periods that even the Warriors sometimes have to deal with. But they have to keep the ball moving with less black holes inside to be willing to live and die with the best shots not always just depending too much on the best player(s). Sometimes the best shot will be a two footer and at other times, depending on how the defense reacts, it might be a wide open 3 pointer. Regardless where the shot comes from there should be a limit of off balance prayer shots with your eyes closed. And more players concerned with winning a championship than a individual scoring title. If any team has balanced scoring that team is harder to game plan for and make adjustments against. And don't let them also play aggressive (make the other team uncomfortable defense) at the same time. And then limit the overealous self made turnovers. The team that does those things puts themselves in the best position to win a championship. The team that plays the best "team" ball will always have an advantage because the ball will always seem to bounce just right for them. Some will call it luck, I call it respecting the game.

That is why in games where Clet has an easy time inside they should practice rotating the ball for the games in the post season where they won't have an inside advantage. So they can get more players confident from the perimeter. And more balanced scoring. That was my problem with the last administration. They never changed or improved as individuals or as a team. And they relied too much on having a size advantage and just dominating inside. That advantage is rarely there against tough teams in the post season. I have seen Clet rotate the ball this season off and on probably better than I have ever seen them rotate it to include when I watched Margaret's Natalie Romeo led teams. The problem is I'm not sure they are willing to live with the cold 3 point shooting periods that even the Warriors sometimes have to deal with. But they have to keep the ball moving with less black holes inside to be willing to live and die with the best shots not always just depending too much on the best player(s). Sometimes the best shot will be a two footer and at other times, depending on how the defense reacts, it might be a wide open 3 pointer. Regardless where the shot comes from there should be a limit of off balance prayer shots with your eyes closed. And more players concerned with winning a championship than a individual scoring title. If any team has balanced scoring that team is harder to game plan for and make adjustments against. And don't let them also play aggressive (make the other team uncomfortable defense) at the same time. And then limit the overealous self made turnovers. The team that does those things puts themselves in the best position to win a championship. The team that plays the best "team" ball will always have an advantage because the ball will always seem to bounce just right for them. Some will call it luck, I call it respecting the game.
Paytc, this is not just a CLET issue. All the teams have these same issues. I totally agree that the best teams must have balanced scoring. I see too many teams jacking up horrible, forced shots. It is a team game for a reason. I would love to see more teams working the ball around, making the extra pass, being unselfish to get the best shot possible. I know the shot clock has changed how the game is played, but make the defense work! Too many teams just taking the first available shot possible.

2 footer is always a better shot than a three pointer. Size does matter. Always has and always will, especially in basketball.

Paytc, this is not just a CLET issue. All the teams have these same issues. I totally agree that the best teams must have balanced scoring. I see too many teams jacking up horrible, forced shots. It is a team game for a reason. I would love to see more teams working the ball around, making the extra pass, being unselfish to get the best shot possible. I know the shot clock has changed how the game is played, but make the defense work! Too many teams just taking the first available shot possible.

True ! Now obviously you do have to take into account the IQ of the team and how good they are fundamentally, shooting and passing the ball. Because it frustrates me to see unnecessary and unforced turnovers. Such as in the case of a 4th grade national CYO team. If the team is a 4th grade national team that does't catch or pass very well then by all means take the first shot. Because the more times you pass the better chance your gonna knock the player out when they miss the catch and the ball bounces off their face or the top their head LOL.

2 footer is always a better shot than a three pointer. Size does matter. Always has and always will, especially in basketball.

An off balance 2 footer with two people covering you because the defense just collapsed in on the ball isn't always the best shot. In that case a wide open 3 pointer with your feet set would be a much better shot.

And when size isn't working or is neutralized is what I'm talking about. Or when the tempo and/ or team foul troubles become an issue and a strategy that forces you to go away from a big unit. Such as when championship teams like the Warriors and others go small. Of course having the luxury of both size and speedy IQ and great fundamental units helps any team be better overall. Size or no size the common denominator I've seen winning most of the state championships have be teamwork and good coaching. And accountability from the top to the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
many teams just taking the first available shot possible.

2 footer is always a better shot than a three pointer.

I've watched MM evolve from fairly conventional to 3-point emphasis, so I've followed both closely. I think that painting it as an either/or issue is not accurate--3-pointer and inside play can compliment each other, the threat of each helps the other.

photography saying "first light best light" refers to early mornings, but can also apply to a good look at the basket. I don't think that many teams jack up the first 3 "possible" but have their standards for a good look. we've all seen a team pass up an open shot, looking for a better one, and ended up with turnover/forced shot by clock.

while most 3's are minimally contested, many not at all, there are 2's, and then there are 2's. sure, a breakaway layup or uncontested o-board and putback are money, but a twisting drive through traffic, or off balance to avoid block, or one with lots of "incidental" contact are no gimmes. and before the shot, an entry pass to the block can be very difficult (how many such have we seen deflected for turnover?). it's crowded in there! perimeter passing is usually easier and more open.

MM doesn't post stats, but Pinewood does, and their twos and threes each produce about 1 point per shot. and twos include gimmes, while every 3 comes from at least 20 ft. out. and, believe it or not, they shoot more 2's than 3's (o.k., not by much). should they work it around more looking for that perfect 2? consider also a decision to push tempo, and shoot early in possessions.

I think the 3 is a great innovation, and doesn't preclude an inside game.

Last edited:
I've watched MM evolve from fairly conventional to 3-point emphasis, so I've followed both closely. I think that painting it as an either/or issue is not accurate--3-pointer and inside play can compliment each other, the threat of each helps the other.

photography saying "first light best light" refers to early mornings, but can apply to a good look at the basket also. I don't think that many teams jack up the first 3 "possible" but have their standards for a good look. we've all seen a team pass up an open shot, looking for a better one, and ended up with turnover/forced shot by clock.

while most 3's are minimally contested, many not at all, there are 2's, and then there are 2's. sure, a breakaway layup or o-board and putback are money, but a twisting drive through traffic, or off balance to avoid block, or one with lots of "incidental" contact are no gimmes. and before the shot, an entry pass to the block can be very difficult (how many such have we seen deflected for turnover?). perimeter passing is usually easier and more open.

MM doesn't post stats, but Pinewood does, and their twos and threes each produce about 1 point per shot. and twos include gimmes, while every 3 comes from at least 20 ft. out. and, believe it or not, they shoot more 2's than 3's (o.k., not by much). should they work it around more looking for that perfect 2? consider also a decision to push tempo, and shoot early in possessions.

I think the 3 is a great innovation, and doesn't preclude an inside game.

mkbgdns,

Great points ! Basketball is a lot like the NFL quarterback to receiver connection. There is a lot of timing and rhythm that creates confidence, tempo and momentum. That is why sometimes when a team is knocking down shots in rhythm the 3 point shot can be demoralizing to an opponent. And I agree, there is a time to dominate with one or the other. And it never hurts to be able to mix them together.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT