ADVERTISEMENT

Just a fun pick 'em thang...

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm going to try and predict the NorCal finalists in Open and D1-D5. 12 teams. let's see how many I get correct. :)

Open: I'll go with the "chalk" on this one: Woodcreek v. Sheldon.

D1: Gonna pick a surprise... #7 Menlo-Atherton gets thru to face mighty Dublin in the final.

D2 O'Dowd meets Moreau

D3: Placer v. Vanden

D4: Half Moon Bay (Upset alert!) v. St Pat-St.Vincent

D5: Bentley v. Elliot Christian

After Round 1 (other than Open): O'Dowd is out and wtf did I pick Placer for?? Hafta stick with it, tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: GOTF
@kiddman32 Menlo-Atherton won't get passed Oakland Tech. And even if they did they'd have to beat out Heritage and James Logan. I don't see that happening. Agree with all of your other picks

Boy would I love to see HMB reach NorCal finals. Wish I was as optimistic/gutsy as you were haha.

Open: Woodcreek v. Sheldon

D1: Sequoia v. James Logan

D2: O'Dowd v. Moreau

D3: SI v. Vanden

D4: Palma v. St Pats

D5: St. Francis v. Elliot Christian

I've said it all year and I will stick to my guns. Sheldon and WC are a step or 2 better than anybody else. If they take care of biz I see a great rematch again in the open. The 2 teams that battled on center stage at UOP are the real deal. But its not going to be a breeze. That is for sure. I mean Bellarmine as a first round game for Sheldon is no joke. Nor is CC for WC. Only takes one bad night.

D1 is really watered down to me. I mean Sequoia as a #4 against #13 Folsom? Sorry but I like Folsom in that.
I will say Dublin with a rather easy route to the champ game against Heritage.

D2- This is the craziest of all brackets and the one that looks the most interesting.
I'm going to say ODOWD vs Whitney.

D3- I like SI vs Vanden. (I do think Mission and SI will square of which will be cool).

D4 Palma vs St Pats. (Palma has been good all year).

Larry Legend33

How did i know you would predict that for D2 you wouldn't have it any other way.lol

Open- this year will be similar to last year. Great games in round 1 but lots of chalk

D1- Dublin vs San Leandro- I just want to see some new blood.

D2- Moreau vs Burbank- I really want to see this matchup. Won't be great fundamental basketball but would be the most entertaining game

D3- Manteca vs Vanden- I honestly have no idea.

D4- Palma vs St pats- I've been burned for years supporting the Bruins. If they can't win this year, they never will.

D5 Bentley vs Branson- because, why not

D6 I couldn't even fake it if I wanted to

D1 we are looking at a rematch with dublin vs logan in the finals and that
could go either way on a neutral court

Actually on the NorCal D1 side of the bracket opposite Dublin is a bunch of teams capable of reaching NorCal finals [State semifinals]. Throw out seeding and rankings it's March Madness anything can happen.

1st Logan opens up against last year's NorCal Open finalist Modesto Christian who lost to DLS by 1 point in that game. Many of their players are still on this battle tested roster. Next Heritage has home court until the NorCal finals at the #2 seed also with a battle tested schedule of the BVAL along with games against Dublin and DLS this season [Heritage's only loss at home this season is to DLS]. Never count out athletic East Bay powers of Oakland Tech and San Leandro with a recent win over BOD. Menlo-Atherton's only lost at home this year is against Bellermine and they made it to the NorCal D1 finals last year one game away from State. So who has the best chance to put together 3 wins in a row to reach NorCal finals:
HERITAGE vs DUBLIN

Oakland Tech easy over MA - MA peeked four weeks ago! If Jefferson could have gotten a call by the refs - MA would have lost there last 5 games - MA season was over once they called all their so called great JV team-up for post season!

Basketball Top 20
NorCalPreps
BOYS BASKETBALL

1. Woodcreek (29-2)

2. Sheldon (28-3)

3. St. Joseph (30-1)

4. Salesian (27-4)

5. De La Salle (27-5)

6. Dublin (28-4)

7. Capital Christian (23-7)

8. Bellarmine (25-2)

9. Mitty (17-10)

10. Moreau Catholic (21-9)

11. Mission, San Francisco (30-1)

12. Logan (24-5)

13. Bishop O'Dowd (19-10)

14. Oakland Tech (26-4)

15. St. Ignatius (21-6)

16. St. Patrick-St. Vincent (23-7)

17. Heritage (25-4)

18. Whitney (27-4)

19. Vanden (26-3)

20. St. Mary's, Stockton (19-11)

Open: Just so I can avoid going chalk, I'll say Sheldon/DLS, but Woodcreek is still much more likely to win

D1: Dublin/Logan

D2: Moreau/BOD

D3: SI/Vanden

D4: Palma/SPSV

D5: Branson/Head-Royce

D6: Fall River/CSD (went chalk since I don't really follow these teams)

Keep in mind boyz HMB has split with Palma this year and Palma had their best shooting night ALL YEAR when they beat the Cougars. I'd love to see a rubber match !

I'll get on my soapbox for a second. Filling Divisions I-5 with 16 teams is a joke. There are teams that won one playoff game (likely a home one at that) and now get to play in the NorCal playoffs. It is similar to what has happened with college football and the bowl games. Totally devalued making it this far.

The seedings seem to have some major errors. My biggest issue is that the same logic doesn't hold from bracket to bracket. Usually I'm not for one to get that worked up on the seeds because you play who you have to play and a one or two seed difference isn't a huge deal, but it is bigger now with Division 2-5 regional games being played away from Santa Clara.

Now that is done, here are my predictions. I see a couple of rematches for NorCal titles

Open: Woodcreek over Sheldon
Division I: Dublin over Oakland Tech
Division II: Moreau Catholic over St. Francis
Division III: Vanden over Mission
Division IV: St. Patrick-St. Vincent over Palma
Division V: Elliot Christian over Bentley

Reactions: bella123
@Streak One Wow you think Oakland Tech wins 3 road games in a row against a good Menlo Atherton team, a very good Heritage team, and a very good Logan team?

HMB - is gonna win in Div 4 in Nor-Cal but couldn't beat Menlo in their section? Menlo and HMB get eliminated Wed night in the City. Hate to say this but Serra is going to be only San Mateo boy team after Wed night. Sequoia has chance also but others - Menlo, HMB and MA nice programs for league play but state level elite NO NO NO

HMB - is gonna win in Div 4 in Nor-Cal but couldn't beat Menlo in their section? Menlo and HMB get eliminated Wed night in the City. Hate to say this but Serra is going to be only San Mateo boy team after Wed night. Sequoia has chance also but others - Menlo, HMB and MA nice programs for league play but state level elite NO NO NO
Not sure why you think think Serra has the only shot at winning? HMB has beaten the #1 seed in Div 4, and when they played Stuart Hall who they play Wed., they only lost by 6 and didn't have all of there players, and I would not sleep on Sequoia.

With that being said here are my predictions.

Open: St. Joes/ Woodcreek
Div 1: Sequoia/ Heritage (Sequoia over Dublin in the Semis in a nail bitter)
Div2: Moreau Catholic/ BOD
Div3: Mission/ Vanden ( Mission over SI in the semis)
Div4: HMB/ SPSV ( HMB over Palma in the rubber match)
Div5: Branson/Bentley

What about Menlo in rubber match? The Moonshine must be strong you guys are drinking! HMB has never had fans who can look at it objectively only in HMB can you loose a section title and claim you taking a Nor-Cal title - OK I will take a sip of that Pumpkin moonshine maybe I will believe once I have had enough!

Interesting that I don't think I've seen really anyone pick #1 St Francis or #2 Whitney to make it to the finals for D2. MC and BOD just that much better than those 2?

@Streak One Wow you think Oakland Tech wins 3 road games in a row against a good Menlo Atherton team, a very good Heritage team, and a very good Logan team?

Certainly will be a tough road but I think Oakland Tech is better than MA and Heritage and I had them and Logan as a toss up. In that case I went either the team that had the best player which is Boum and Tech.

Interesting that I don't think I've seen really anyone pick #1 St Francis or #2 Whitney to make it to the finals for D2. MC and BOD just that much better than those 2?

Speaking only for myself, but St. Francis is 3-6 in their last 9 games. Kind of hard to imagine them suddenly righting the ship and going on a tear through a reasonably loaded D2 bracket. Though, as Larry Legend pointed out, teams that were eliminated early in their sectional playoffs like Grant may have checked out already, so who knows. I just think BOD is a better team.

As for Whitney, I kind of think Serra's going to be a tough match-up for them, but maybe I'm just rooting too hard for a Serra/Moreau matchup to see how the Mariners handle the Padres after they were embarrassed by them a couple of years ago.

Speaking only for myself, but St. Francis is 3-6 in their last 9 games. Kind of hard to imagine them suddenly righting the ship and going on a tear through a reasonably loaded D2 bracket. Though, as Larry Legend pointed out, teams that were eliminated early in their sectional playoffs like Grant may have checked out already, so who knows. I just think BOD is a better team.

As for Whitney, I kind of think Serra's going to be a tough match-up for them, but maybe I'm just rooting too hard for a Serra/Moreau matchup to see how the Mariners handle the Padres after they were embarrassed by them a couple of years ago.

Thanks, fair enough. I seems to be a common thought across the forum, so was curious. I can see Whitney having a lot of problems with Serra's size. I'd kind of like to see a Moreau vs Whitney matchup..Seems like that could be a real uptempo game.

Not sure why you think think Serra has the only shot at winning? HMB has beaten the #1 seed in Div 4, and when they played Stuart Hall who they play Wed., they only lost by 6 and didn't have all of there players, and I would not sleep on Sequoia.

With that being said here are my predictions.

Open: St. Joes/ Woodcreek
Div 1: Sequoia/ Heritage (Sequoia over Dublin in the Semis in a nail bitter)
Div2: Moreau Catholic/ BOD
Div3: Mission/ Vanden ( Mission over SI in the semis)
Div4: HMB/ SPSV ( HMB over Palma in the rubber match)
Div5: Branson/Bentley
In the open if JADE isn't playing St Joes won't get by MITTY

Division I: Dublin over James Logan
Division II: St. Francis over Moreau Catholic
Division IV: St. Patrick-St. Vincent over Central Catholic

I'll get on my soapbox for a second. Filling Divisions I-5 with 16 teams is a joke. There are teams that won one playoff game (likely a home one at that) and now get to play in the NorCal playoffs. It is similar to what has happened with college football and the bowl games. Totally devalued making it this far.

The seedings seem to have some major errors. My biggest issue is that the same logic doesn't hold from bracket to bracket. Usually I'm not for one to get that worked up on the seeds because you play who you have to play and a one or two seed difference isn't a huge deal, but it is bigger now with Division 2-5 regional games being played away from Santa Clara.

Now that is done, here are my predictions. I see a couple of rematches for NorCal titles

Division I: Dublin over Oakland Tech
Division II: Moreau Catholic over St. Francis
Division IV: St. Patrick-St. Vincent over Palma

So much for the Oakland Tech pick. Just glad I didn't pair it with Bishop O'Dowd

Thanks, fair enough. I seems to be a common thought across the forum, so was curious. I can see Whitney having a lot of problems with Serra's size. I'd kind of like to see a Moreau vs Whitney matchup..Seems like that could be a real uptempo game.

I don't see Whitney having any problems with Serra's size.

Reactions: NorCalSportsMom
Open: Just so I can avoid going chalk, I'll say Sheldon/DLS, but Woodcreek is still much more likely to win

One down already. This is why I would be a terrible gambler...

Not pretty...

Open: I'll go with the "chalk" on this one: Woodcreek v. Sheldon.

D1: Gonna pick a surprise... #7 Menlo-Atherton gets thru to face mighty Dublin in the final.

D2 O'Dowd meets Moreau

D3: Placer v. Vanden

D4: Half Moon Bay (Upset alert!) v. St Pat-St.Vincent

D5: Bentley v. Elliot Christian

After Round 1 (other than Open): O'Dowd is out and wtf did I pick Placer for?? Hafta stick with it, tho...

Well... After Saturday... Both Open picks still alive, both D5 picks too...

As for the rest... one each still going in D2,D3,D4... D1, nada.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT