ADVERTISEMENT

Merc News WCAL Preview

Interesting notes on players moving out of state for VC. I wonder how private school's enrollment has been impacted the past two years

Good article this AM, but startled to see VC's varsity roster will be "around 30 players", down from 50 last season.

The writing was on the wall when VC constructed the Conservatory of the Arts and the Human Performance Center buildings at the school. Focus was moving away from sports to music, art, acting and such. It dramatically changed the student body. The only real surprise was that took this long. I don’t see VC football will ever be the same.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Serra's administration has been trying to balance the perception of the school for years. So far, though, its been a tough slog since its best enrollment booster is Coach Walsh and his goliath football juggernaut with 223 guys on rosters this year. How many pay full tuition is unknown, however.

Declining enrollment has been on the horizon for the past 5-6 years....I work in a public school district, so we see the enrollment numbers in our feeder districts, and the trend was evident well before the pandemic hit. It is not surprising that the private schools are also seeing it as well. It will be interesting to see how the next 10-12 years play out. Riordan immediately moving to a co-ed model illustrated that they have seen the same sort of K-8 student numbers as everyone else. While an unpopular decision in some ways, they showed some foresight in finding a way to stabilize their enrollment for the long term.....I would LOVE to see the application numbers and admissions from some of the local private schools. They do not have to be as transparent as public schools, and I would be incredibly intrigued to see how selective they can be right now (and not just for students already with college scholarship offers).

Last edited:
Declining enrollment has been on the horizon for the past 5-6 years....I work in a public school district, so we see the enrollment numbers in our feeder districts, and the trend was evident well before the pandemic hit. It is not surprising that the private schools are also seeing it as well. It will be interesting to see how the next 10-12 years play out.
Does declining enrollment come from more home schooling or families moving? It is interesting its hitting public and private

Does declining enrollment come from more home schooling or families moving? It is interesting its hitting public and private
For the most part, it follows birth and housing patterns....Baby Boom hits, tons of kids.....The next generation of parents had far fewer kids, thus schools closed (RIP: Sunnyvale, Campbell, Mt. View, Camden, etc), and enrollments dramatically dipped...Then the Baby Boomers have kids, immigration kicks up, and we again have large schools....Right now, that smaller generation are parents (Gen X), and a good chunk of those Baby Boomers are still here, and not yet turned over the homes to younger families. That would be my guess....Cost of living is certainly a factor, as the single family homes in the Bay are outrageous. Any growth would mostly be in areas with cheaper homes, particularly in the Central Valley.

Last edited:
For the most part, it follows birth and housing patterns....Baby Boom hits, tons of kids.....The next generation of parents had far fewer kids, thus schools closed (RIP: Sunnyvale, Campbell, Mt. View, Camden, etc), and enrollments dramatically dipped...Then the Baby Boomers have kids, immigration kicks up, and we again have large schools....Right now, that smaller generation are parents (Gen X), and a good chunk of those Baby Boomers are still here, and not yet turned over the homes to younger families. That would be my guess....Cost of living is certainly a factor, as the single family homes in the Bay are outrageous. The growth would mostly be in areas with cheapter homes.
Good analysis scvafan.

It always comes down to costs. The schools have rocketing expenses and no one has addressed this factor as a reason-----> there are no more nuns or brothers teaching classes. Nuns and brothers dedicated their lives to teaching all while pretty much not making any money. Guess what happens when they retire and theres no pool of nuns and brothers to replace them? You have to hire regular salaried teachers.

Declining enrollment has been on the horizon for the past 5-6 years....I work in a public school district, so we see the enrollment numbers in our feeder districts, and the trend was evident well before the pandemic hit. It is not surprising that the private schools are also seeing it as well. It will be interesting to see how the next 10-12 years play out. Riordan immediately moving to a co-ed model illustrated that they have seen the same sort of K-8 student numbers as everyone else. While an unpopular decision in some ways, they showed some foresight in finding a way to stabilize their enrollment for the long term.....I would LOVE to see the application numbers and admissions from some of the local private schools. They do not have to be as transparent as public schools, and I would be incredibly intrigued to see how selective they can be right now (and not just for students already with college scholarship offers).
In their Alumni report when Riordan made the decision to move to Co-ed, the Admin had already been doing analysis of the enrollment trends at the SF Parochial schools. Per the report there were <200 registered 1st graders in ALL of SF! Add Mercy's closure and it triggered the move sooner rather than later.
A recent email to the Riordan community states that this Fall's overall enrollment is near 1,000 students coming from 85 different schools. An increase of 270 students with a 60/40 ratio of boys to girls. The Boarding School is also at capacity.

Reactions: concrete17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT