ADVERTISEMENT

Mission winning in blowout, can SI hold up their end?

Love the story... The city will be rocking. My late grandfather went to Mission back in the pre depression era (1920's). It was always a working mans school. One of the oldest HS around. I want to say 130+ years. And I grew up in my early years 43rd avenue and Ortega. Saw many games at SI. Good luck to both teams!

This game will come down to how much the refs let go. If they are WCAL refs, it will bode well for Mission. If they call close contact, I can see SI living at the free throw line.
I can also see, Marchaletti using his matchup zone to confuse the bears.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Fans at Kezar and at SI last night are really looking forward to this one. People talking about a throwback game to the 60's or 70'a.

Only blemish last night was some type of altercation in the Kezar lobby and just outside. Not sure how it began, but there was a heavy police response & for a few minutes no one could leave through the front entrance. Once I could leave, I saw a couple people in cuffs.

On paper, a fun game. It would be great if it was at Kezar, in homage to an old AAA game. These teams are more alike than dissimilar. Unlike the conservative v. explosive SI/Bal game of 1996, both are comfortable in half court sets. Both have played in tight games throughout. S.I. definately in league; Mission in their non-league games, with exception of Lowell in championship game. Keys will be S.I. ability to stay fresh through constant full court defensive harassment which can disrupt their offensive sets, and ability of Mission to get 2nd and third shots. I think S.I. ability to control defensive boards will dictate game. Also, other than Bruce-Mahoney game, this will be a game where S.I. student body will be in force, due to game being at S.I. Edge: S.I., but it will be fun to watch Mission.

Even though they are small, Mission does a really good job of boxing out. If SI gets to the offensive boards, they win easily. Live by the three, die by the three. If SI shoots anything like they did last night, it will be nearly impossible for Mission to win. This will be a high scoring game as both teams will push the tempo.

This game will come down to how much the refs let go. If they are WCAL refs, it will bode well for Mission. If they call close contact, I can see SI living at the free throw line.

It won't be WCAL refs. In NorCal games they always bring in refs from a section that neither team is from.

Reactions: BadBucks
Interesting conversations re: officials calling it close or letting them play. I don't necessarily think that SI will have the disadvantage if they let them play but the non-WCAL referees like to blew their whistles too often. I, for one, don't like to see games determined by foul trouble so I hope they let both teams play and let the tougher team prevail!

Both teams are guard oriented so it'll be strength vs strength. I like Mission's chances since they won't give up a lot of uncontested 3's to Beckman & Co. I think Trammel needs to raise his game to early season WCAL level (think first Riordan or Bruce-Mahoney game levels) or SI will be in trouble. Beckman and Redmond will bring it no doubt!

Also Lick Wilmerding hosts SPSV as well. Probably the biggest Lick basketball game in decades. Not a historian of their program so please don't flame me if my statement is unenlightened :). Not sure if Lick is totally healthy but regardless it would be an upset of epic proportions if Lick is able to take them down twice in post season play!

Also Lick Wilmerding hosts SPSV as well. Probably the biggest Lick basketball game in decades. Not a historian of their program so please don't flame me if my statement is unenlightened :). Not sure if Lick is totally healthy but regardless it would be an upset of epic proportions if Lick is able to take them down twice in post season play!

Talked to two Lick players today and it appears that their two starters who were out in the previous matchup vs SPSV are back. Too bad the SI - Mission game is at the same time!

Love the story... The city will be rocking. My late grandfather went to Mission back in the pre depression era (1920's). It was always a working mans school. One of the oldest HS around. I want to say 130+ years. And I grew up in my early years 43rd avenue and Ortega. Saw many games at SI. Good luck to both teams!
I was next doo in Jr. high to S.I. at A.P. Giannin for i.... I was on 48th Ave between Judah & Kirkham for a while.. Running up the sand dunes for gym..lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT