ADVERTISEMENT

Go Back To Enrollment Divisions

HSWIZARD73

Sports Fanatic
May 17, 2017
I was thinking last night about the fact that what are the fans missing when we have the current division setup. And as one poster stated, division 3 today is not even close to D1 or Open, that is a true statement.

However what is now missing being we have the current system. Well let’s see.

Winning D3 since the open division was created: St Augustine, Chaminde, Damien, Manteca, Mission, La Jolla Country Day, Pleasant Valley and Oakland

On the losers end we have Buena, Venice, University, Notre Dame, Villa Park, Ayala, Campolindo, Drake and SHC

And this Saturday we have the 63rd vs 43rd ranked teams in the state per max preps.

Well to me this is not only an injustice to fans, but more importantly the players and their fan bases.

In 1996 and 1997 Harvard Westlake had the Collin’s kids, Jaron and Jason.

1998: Luke Walton
1999: Deshaun Stevenson beat Drew Gooden
2000&2001: Erik Craven(Played 10 years overseas) and a damn good player who played in the NFL
2002: Aaron Affalo and Gabe Pruitt, damn good players in 10th grade. And John Tofi had to deal with Darius Sanders Oregon defensive end.
2004: Aaron Affalo
2006 and 2007: James Harden
2008: Klay Thompson dropped between 34 and 38 draining 7 3’s against Josiah Turner and Chase Tapley. He single handedly blew Sac High out. By the way anyone know who Sac High beat.

And think about all the other divisions that have NBA alum and current players.

To me it is very unfortunate that one team and their fan base goes home last night. Outside of the open, the rest of the state title games don’t mean a whole lot, when the 2nd best team in NorCal and top 10 team state wise is sitting at home while 63 and 43 face off.

In Division 4 you have a 20-13 team playing the 19th ranked D3 school. How odd is this? Riordan is 1 of the division 3 schools.

So will we ever see many future pros and highly recruited D1 commits ever again playing for state titles in other divisions, or will most be sitting at home.

You have 9 total top 100, top 60 and top 25, Seniors, Juniors, and Sophs sitting at home.

Harvard and Bosco has some good talent playing. And Arenas son who has been lighting it up is playing in the D4 game.

Reactions: CoachRandal
I was thinking last night about the fact that what are the fans missing when we have the current division setup. And as one poster stated, division 3 today is not even close to D1 or Open, that is a true statement.

Winning D3 since the open division was created: St Augustine, Chaminde, Damien, Manteca, Mission, La Jolla Country Day, Pleasant Valley and Oakland

On the losers end we have Buena, Venice, University, Notre Dame, Villa Park, Ayala, Campolindo, Drake and SHC

And this Saturday we have the 63rd vs 43rd ranked teams in the state per max preps.

Well to me this is not only an injustice to fans, but more importantly the players and their fan bases.

2000&2001: Erik Craven(Played 10 years overseas) and a damn good player who played in the NFL
2002: Aaron Affalo and Gabe Pruitt, damn good players in 10th grade. And John Tofi had to deal with Darius Sanders Oregon defensive end.
2008: Klay Thompson dropped between 34 and 38 draining 7 3’s against Josiah Turner and Chase Tapley. He single handedly blew Sac High out. By the way anyone know who Sac High beat.

To me it is very unfortunate that one team and their fan base goes home last night. Outside of the open, the rest of the state title games don’t mean a whole lot, when the 2nd best team in NorCal and top 10 team state wise is sitting at home while 63 and 43 face off.

In Division 4 you have a 20-13 team playing the 19th ranked D3 school. How odd is this? Riordan is 1 of the division 3 schools.

So will we ever see many future pros and highly recruited D1 commits ever again playing for state titles in other divisions, or will most be sitting at home.

You have 9 total top 100, top 60 and top 25, Seniors, Juniors, and Sophs sitting at home.

Harvard and Bosco has some good talent playing. And Arenas son who has been lighting it up is playing in the D4 game.
Agreed. I believe the NCS model makes the most sense. Once a program has had success in their division they can move up.

It seems to me that the term “state champion” is meaningless now.

Funny how San Ramon Valley, Athenian, and Santa Cruz all lose on February 23rd or 24th, but some magical ways are all heading to The State Championship Games.... Now, how does this make any sense.. meanwhile the teams that beat them (Branson, Head-Royce and SHCP) are at home

As i read your post, and a very good one... I got to thinking that a lot of good basketball players in today's game are at prep schools. Given this fact, we miss out on a lot of big names in the state playoffs. Shoot if Sensley doesn't transfer back to Riordan do they make it this far? I get why some kids move to prep schools, but it would sure be nice to see some of the local kids that are at PP or other prep schools play with their local high school teams and see how far they could take them.. and how much more competitive that Bay Area hoops would be.

Agreed. I believe the NCS model makes the most sense. Once a program has had success in their division they can move up.

It seems to me that the term “state champion” is meaningless now.

Funny how San Ramon Valley, Athenian, and Santa Cruz all lose on February 23rd or 24th, but some magical ways are all heading to The State Championship Games.... Now, how does this make any sense.. meanwhile the teams that beat them (Branson, Head-Royce and SHCP) are at home
teams lose in their conference tournament and go on to win ncaa titles all the time.

but when does the moving up and down change. all private schools are not the same. you win a title and move up. if you lose again do you go all the way back to D5?

teams lose in their conference tournament and go on to win ncaa titles all the time.
Very true. The difference is the loser of the conference tournament usually has a tougher road in the NCAAs (lower seed) than the winner. A lot of people feel it’s unfair for a section final winner to be a low seed in their division, and have the team they beat become a high seed in a lower division.

I’d like to see the 2 section finalists stay in the same division at NorCal, with the winner being guaranteed a home game and the loser on the road. If the loser with the lower seed runs the table on the road in the same division, there would be a lot less criticism to see them playing for a “state championship” while the section winner goes home early in a tougher division.

Reactions: orebel21
Very true. The difference is the loser of the conference tournament usually has a tougher road in the NCAAs (lower seed) than the winner. A lot of people feel it’s unfair for a section final winner to be a low seed in their division, and have the team they beat become a high seed in a lower division.

I’d like to see the 2 section finalists stay in the same division at NorCal, with the winner being guaranteed a home game and the loser on the road. If the loser with the lower seed runs the table on the road in the same division, there would be a lot less criticism to see them playing for a “state championship” while the section winner goes home early in a tougher division.
that helps.. but if titles in 3-6 dont matter why does anyone really care? people saying they are participation trophys why is everyone crying??

do any other states have issues with this? there are divisions in most states. also do so cal people cry about seedings as much as nor cal?

that helps.. but if titles in 3-6 dont matter why does anyone really care? people saying they are participation trophys why is everyone crying??

do any other states have issues with this? there are divisions in most states. also do so cal people cry about seedings as much as nor cal?
Dam!! Ankle throwing down some reasoning.

Here's wishing you great hoops

There were 3 Walton's on that team. Luke, Kam, and a Cousin.
Billy Spears of Enterprise out rebounded Luke Walton, to Bring down 18 Rebounds, setting a then record. Enterprise Lost by 3 points that would have been one of the biggest upsets in history.

As i read your post, and a very good one... I got to thinking that a lot of good basketball players in today's game are at prep schools. Given this fact, we miss out on a lot of big names in the state playoffs. Shoot if Sensley doesn't transfer back to Riordan do they make it this far? I get why some kids move to prep schools, but it would sure be nice to see some of the local kids that are at PP or other prep schools play with their local high school teams and see how far they could take them.. and how much more competitive that Bay Area hoops would be.

I was going to mention something similar to this. To me this is going to give prep schools more reason to go after kids. Let’s say a SH, a O’Dowd, a Campo, or any other school with basketball history, lands a top 100 player. Might be pretty easy to say what have they won. And off they go.
There were 3 Walton's on that team. Luke, Kam, and a Cousin.
Billy Spears of Enterprise out rebounded Luke Walton, to Bring down 18 Rebounds, setting a then record. Enterprise Lost by 3 points that would have been one of the biggest upsets in history.

I remember the Walton clan. They were pretty good.

I agree. I think the current "competitive equity" system is terrible and going back to an enrollment based system is best. If you want split private and public schools up into two divisions like they do in some states back east, I can see that making sense too so that you have a public and private school NorCal, SoCal and State champ in each division (who will face off in the end), but this current system is a big minus in my opinion.

I agree. I think the current "competitive equity" system is terrible and going back to an enrollment based system is best. If you want split private and public schools up into two divisions like they do in some states back east, I can see that making sense too so that you have a public and private school NorCal, SoCal and State champ in each division (who will face off in the end), but this current system is a big minus in my opinion.
there are not enough good private schools. athenian has zero shot versus salesian or riordan.

I would like to see teams go to the NorCal division that they played section in. It would move up some teams that need it but then you get university in D3 and Vanden in D2 which would help balance things out.

And that way you don’t get a better seeding as a semifinalist compared to the section winner.

Reactions: observer22
I would like to see teams go to the NorCal division that they played section in. It would move up some teams that need it but then you get university in D3 and Vanden in D2 which would help balance things out.

And that way you don’t get a better seeding as a semifinalist compared to the section winner.
so as you move teams down then then the small schools will lose to teams in D3. or if you let in too many small schools then they tournament will not be fun

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT