ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty/St. Joe's

Does anyone know what was the act that got the top player out for 2 games?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what was the act that got the top player out for 2 games?

I was at the game and partially saw the incident (for the first time ever, I had looked down at my phone at just the right time... Really! Just got my first smartphone a couple weeks earlier). Just as I looked down, there was a tussle for the ball in St. Joe's backcourt.

They hit the floor, battling for it (causing me to look up at that moment) and the ref called a foul on the Stuart Hall guy, but both fought for the ball further and angry words and threatening looks came from both players. No punches were thrown or anything like that, but fists were balled up. Ref called a T, or maybe two.

Smith was taken out and didn't return, but I don't know if he'd been tossed by the ref or if Lippi had taken him out because it was fairly late in the game and the Pilots had a 15-point lead.

While I guessed on this board later that night that a game suspension was possible, I would have *never* guessed that the league would sit him for two games... It wasn't even a league game, after all... What jurisdiction did they have?

Oh, well... Live and learn, and Jade', good luck (and skill) at Pepperdine!

Usually private schools follow CIF guidelines with regard to discipline. If that's all that happen, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, then it's a travesty he had to sit for two games.

Seems like the crime didn't fit the punishment in this case. Too bad. What a shit way to end a nice career.

Just brutal. I doubt the refs had any idea that calling that a double T would cause Jade to miss both the NCS championship game and the first round Open game, effectively a season ending call. Sucks for both Jade and St. Joe's, but I'm sure Mitty ain't complaining.

Hopefully, this will be hard lesson learned for the young man. You can't lose composure at anytime on the floor. Regardless of what your opponent is doing to you.
Not saying he deserved the two game suspension. Just that, if he didn't lose his temper in a game that was already decided, he would played last night.

Here is the quote from Lippi in the Prep to Prep article. It is still hard to fathom how Smith's high school career came to a grinding halt after a little chest bumping in a blowout win. Hopefully, the league will change that rule, or alter it to just apply to league games and not have different rules for teams from different leagues during the playoffs.

The only upset according to seeding was Mitty taking down St. Joseph Notre Dame, 67-61, but that can hardly be considered a surprise, considering the Pilots were without senior standout and Pepperdine commit Jade Smith, who was serving the back end of a two-game suspension. After the game, St. Joe's coach Don Lippi lamented the nature of Smith's suspension in a conversation with Bay Area News Group reporter Darren Sabedra, one levied on a player who had received just one technical foul in his varsity career prior to the section semifinal game which resulted in the suspension.

"It wasn't like he yelled at the referee or got in a fight," Lippi told Sabedra after the game. "He bumped a guy, and the other guy bumped him back."

http://prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=18525

I'm an official in SF and have an interesting story to share. Several years ago I was officiating a pre-season game between TWO BCL boys teams that were in different divisions. During the first half, I remember issuing a technical foul to a player from the home team. I seem to recall the player slamming the ball down in objection to a foul call or something.

The game continued on without incident until late in the 4th quarter. The home team was up by 15 or 20. The same player I had given the technical earlier made a basket and taunted one of the players on the visiting team. I can't remember what he did exactly but I remember giving him the second technical.

The interesting part was after the player was ejected, the home team coach was saying "I shouldn't have ejected him" because the league or something was going to automatically suspend the player.

I don't know what happened to the player I ejected but I assume the BCL went through with the suspensions. Sorry it happened to St. Joe's but seems like this suspension rule has been in place for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT